View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smart penguins.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:19 am 
Penguin

I have a couple of questions I would love to get the answers for, still new to this game I'm never sure how to react.

1. So I'm doing the "do as I do" from the royal road book on this guy. Quite easy to copy what i do, not a problem, as I was asking him to put the card here, place the pack there, he just put the card wherever he wanted and cut the pack. He was clearly doing what he wanted with the cards, fare enough. But it kind of killed the trick. I found myself raising my voice every time I said "no, Do as I do.." NO, JUST DO WHAT I'M DOING" Basicly, how do you react to someone who's not willing to enjoy the trick and want to make you look like a penguin? He was quite willing to be shown, so i wasn't to know i picked a bad egg. More so, how do you get out of that when the trick is messed up?

2. I performed a trick this one time and did the DL, ( quite well, if i do say so myself) I placed the card in his hand. as i did this he asked.." Can I look at it.." ok so my face dropped and i though How do i get out of this? I quickly said " just watch " but before i could do anything else he blurted out " it's a differant card, you turned two over. " Great, in front of every one. I said nothing and finished the trick, feeling quite deflated and rather lollipoped off. Turns out he had seen a trick like that before and sussed it out. What do you say when people do that?

Thanks watch what you write!! next time i will delete it without editing words. e.l

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:38 am 
born to perform.

1) If you told them what to do several times and the spec still doesnt follow your instructions...just pack it up and leave. Tell them that if they wanna get entertained, they better listen to you. You dont want to put them down in anyway, you just wanna make sure that they know you are in control so maybe next time, dont be be a jerk.

2) This is tough one. There are several things you can do to avoid this situation.
-First, polish your DL !!! I dunno how comfortable you are with the sleight but many people claim that their DL is fine, but in reality, it is quite crummy. Your DL should look no different as if you are lifting 1 card.
-Second, the human minds are weak. It can only concentrate on one thing. After you give them the card, if you quickly move on with the trick, people will focus on what you're doing next instead of the card they are holding. If you just give them the card and hesitate for a second or so, the specs will have time to think about what happened.
-Also, if you wanna be really safe. Ask your spec to hold their hand out, put the card on their hand and keep a finger on it. Then tell another spec to put their hand on it to cover the card. This is a good way because the other spec is the one helping u cover up.

If the worse did happen and they ask you if they can flip over the card. If I'm doing like the 2 card monte or the ultimate transpo...Ill say its a memory test and peeking is cheating.
If that line wont help the trick you are doing then ignore it and move on immediately. Just misdirect them and move on. When they need to catch on to what you are doing, theyre not gonna have time to rethink.

Hope this Help :o

Post subject: oops
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:09 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Thanks watch what you write!! next time i will delete it without editing words. e.

Oooops. sorry bout that, got abit carried away. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:36 am 
Penguin

about the first situation, if i were u i think i'll just walk away. if people don't want to enjoy ur magic, u shouldn't make them. in my case, i would just say: "oh, darn, i lost ur card, but i think i can fix it. i have another deck in this pocket (taking out the invisible deck), what was ur card?" i go threw the invisible deck and find he's card face down, he takes it out, and AMAZED!!!
after that u can say: "i knew u wouldn't do what i did, it's called mentalism".
about the 2nd situation, i agree with Ninjax.

Tomer

Post subject: Rapid Response
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:03 pm 
Penguin

I think nothing beats a good one liner, and if you can't make it good, make it fast (there's an old military maxim - apparently - "A good plan today is better than a great plan tomorrow!"). So for the first situation I'd just take my cards back and say "Ah-ah! My show - my rules". Then walk.

For the second situation you could reply with the Hollywood spy mindset something like (he says): "Can I look at it?" and you respond "Well you could, but then I'd have to kill you." Try not to smile for an instant to create a moment of ambiguity, then let the smile crack to defuse it, and move on quickly.

I'm not claiming for a moment that these are particularly good or even universal repostes, but they might spark you to think up something that suits your personal style.