View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Don't take my watch!"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:31 pm 
Penguin

What do you say when people notice thet you are trying to steal their watch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:13 am 
born to perform.

You're basically buggered at this point, no one-liner or quick thinking of what to do next will get you outta this one. Just scream 'Oh ' and punch the guy as hard as you can across his cranium knocking him out and run for it.
Not even someone as experienced in audience management (for teenagers) as me knows what to do here, they won't think you're doing a trick they'll think your trying to rob them. My advice is to work on your Misdirection (Get a good DVD and try to learn from the performing magician about how he uses misdirection, like when watching how Oz does his tricks in the Born 2 perform DVD). Your probaly strating the steal to soon before the person knows what to look for. Condition him to think that you're focusing all your attention on one thing and he'll follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:00 am 
Penguin

Get Greg Wilson's on the spot DVD... he says to say I was trying to steal his watch but it was on too tight. And then act like you are putting it back on, and steal it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:42 pm 
born to perform.

make up an excuse like I wanted to see it better... or I was going to ask you first, but I forgot and got wrapped up in the trick and opologise at the end. it helps a little bit for trying to steal it... on my first attempt, I tried it on my teacher...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:35 pm 
Penguin

I agree with ChipC. Greg Wilson's out is probably the best you can do. If they catch you trying to steal it, and say "Hey, what are you doing?!?!" just tell them the truth. "Oh, I'm sorry, I was trying to steal your watch." Then, put it back on partially, direct their attention somewhere else, and just take it right back off of them. Of course, before you do this, do a few other effects to establish your credibility as a magician, and not someone trying to steal their watch. This will make them much more forgiving, and they'll realize it was just for entertainment. (Hopefully)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:52 am 
Penguin

ChipC wrote:
Get Greg Wilson's on the spot DVD... he says to say I was trying to steal his watch but it was on too tight. And then act like you are putting it back on, and steal it.

I agree with this. If someone says "hey what are u doing?!?!" say jokingly "oh i was trying to steal your watch but it was on too tight" and laugh along with them. Then just pretend to put it on, and say "you better check your wallet too..." then as the hand goes back...steal it.

Be sure to do other tricks which show you as a magician and have the people enjoy you before you try to watch steal...or do any type of pickpocketing.

hope it helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:55 pm 
Penguin

pyrobob wrote:
make up an excuse like I wanted to see it better... or I was going to ask you first, but I forgot and got wrapped up in the trick and opologise at the end. it helps a little bit for trying to steal it... on my first attempt, I tried it on my teacher...

If you do that you will be in even more trouble as absolutely no one is going to believe that. A jokey response is much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

Alastair_Webb wrote:
pyrobob wrote:

If you do that you will be in even more trouble as absolutely no one is going to believe that. A jokey response is much better.

that's true, i agree it is much better to joke about it! But I think to steal a watch you really need to practice it alot with a partner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:30 am 
Penguin

The great thing about the wilson out is that if you steal their watch after they catch you they are far more amazed, as they're probably on the lookout for any more suspicious activity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:51 am 
Penguin

maybe go for the wallet and at the end and say "well you did tell me not to take your watch and as a resposible magician i listen to my audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:15 am 
Penguin

sorry to reply again but just had another thought maybe get the wallet instead as above then go for the watch again but deliberatly get caught then say "im sorry but i really like that watch may i buy it from you?" at this point you could remove their wallet from your pocket and offer it to them as if to buy the watch that way seems like getting caught at the begining was all part of the effect.
just an idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:56 am 
Penguin

thats an AWESOME IDEA...thankyou I will definately use that!