View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: lines for misdirection
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:05 pm 
Penguin

hey all, im working on my deck switch using my deck shell, and was wondering if anyone has any good lines for heavy misdirection....the deck shell is great for a small group, but i will be using it in front of about 60 people, and need all of the help i can get....currently, the deck switch will be done while a spectator is signing his or her card, and in order to give myself extra time, i have the spectator ask other people to sign the card as well

if anyone has any good oneliners, or any good misdirection for a direct switch like that, i would really appreciate it

thanks
david

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:17 pm 
born to perform.

Just point out beyond the crowd and say, "is that a rabbit over there?" Just kidding.
It sounds like your on the right track having the card passed around to be signed. I think it would be fine to pull a switch during this, the majority of the people will be focused on the card anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:28 am 
born to perform.

you use actions more than words for misdirection. use your hands and body positioning to help you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:57 am 
Penguin

Maybe you could try posting this in the Outs and One-Liners section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:15 pm 

Moved ***823

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:57 pm 
born to perform.

Have character before you even begin, create a calm and laid back atmosphere before you even begin and people will become more prone to your misdirection and more interested in seeing where you're going and not how you'll go about doing it. As Oz would say 'Act as if your on the off-beat'. When they are signing the card you can carry on talking and not just waiting for them to look away, when they hear that laid back magician guy with those one liners pipe up they'll be looking at him in the eyes and BAM! the switch is done, it's really that easy, but actually hard at the same time to maintain interest. Or just say something funny like Oz does 'Go ahead toss your phone nnumber on the card for confirmation.' when they sign it. When they laugh, they stop focusing. Good luck. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:53 am 
Penguin

Here is a few lines for one-on-one misdirection;

"If you wanna be really sure I don't see what you write you could turn your back, or even go out of the room" or something:P This give you time for everything.

Or this one..

"Here is a pen, write your name on the card" and by "accident" drop the pen or something:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:07 am 
born to perform.

It's always said that a larger motion covers the smaller motion. Focus alot of your attention on we'll say the left side of the table where the spec is signing the card, and the audience is bound to miss the switch on your right side. This can be applied to lots of moves, including one I use often, a gambler's cop.

Post subject: d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:39 pm 
Penguin

Or, say something a little risque, like "Hey, don't worry about your mother, she was fine last night."

Post subject: Share the spotlight
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:52 am 
Penguin

By simply asking the a spectator a question you'll divide the audience's attention. The spectator will be too nervous to scrutinize any switch, and you'll have motivation for going to your pocket to take out and put back the Sharpie! Remember to call the spectator by name and be sincere in your questioning or you'll appear scripted. People can easily read right through a phony or planned remark and will question your motivation -- so be a good actor. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:31 pm 
born to perform.

My favorite thing to do is to repeat everything that happened while I stare at them, then they start looking at you instead of what ever your holding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:17 pm 
Penguin

I agree with Scorpio, I usually look the person in the eye and talk to them that will give u time for a switch or what ever.
Make sure they are looking back though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:33 am 
born to perform.

throw pennies into the crowd (it works every time)

Post subject: lines
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:58 pm 
Penguin

Bill Pitts was kind enough to share with me the secret to the "Cockroach Pass".
Several old pros realized that the "pass" was more easily concealed from a small group than on stage, so for large groups they used the Cockroach Pass. When the selected card is returned to the deck you simply get in position to do the pass, then pretend to notice something on the floor. Stomp the floor violently as you make a funny comment on the number of roaches occupying your venue. As you stomp, perform the pass.
Believe it or not, I've seen Bill get away with this. Hilarious, AND I have no doubt this would work for a deck switch as well.
PS, I wouldn't use this in restaurant work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:54 pm 
punch them in the belly.