View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "I forgot the card I selected"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:43 pm 
Penguin

What do you say to someone who forgets what card he/she selected?
I guess this typically happens during the third or fourth trick, when they may have the card from the previous trick fresh in their mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:52 pm 
born to perform.

Don't do so many "Pick A Card" tricks in one row. Try other visual, no audience work tricks in between. A gambling trick were you demonstrate how a gambler cheats, or something along those lines, is often a good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

If you are performing for more than one person, make sure everyone sees the card, one out of the group is bound to remember it if the 'main' spectator doesn't.

and Nik has some excellent advice too, mix it up a bit with the 'Pick A Card' type effects.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Always have a sharpie on you, for them to sign their card.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:57 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
Quote:
If you are performing for more than one person, make sure everyone sees the card, one out of the group is bound to remember it if the 'main' spectator doesn't.

This is typically the way to go. But there are a few subtelties i add as a card is selected. Why? Because its tacky? "Is that the card?"
"Uh.......I dont know"
"WHat"
"Jenny was that the card?"
"I think so"
"Oh, well"
"Cool trick"
"............"
"One person claps"

This is alsways something to avoid. One thing i do if I can is say "dont let me see it". They will usually stick it up to their face with their hands behind it. Now its sitting nice and juicy in front of there eyes. "You got it". They will ALWAYS take another glance to make sure. This is 99% fool proof (for me). But I always take a saftey precaution and never make them announce their card before the revelation. Does it lose build up? I dont think so. Some people do. I would rather have it hit a little more surprisingly anyway. After the trick has taken effect i strongly say "YOUR NINE of diamonds". Just to casually inforce it. Even if they have forgotten, the image of the card brings it back.

Post subject: Some tips
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:02 pm 
Penguin

A couple of tips

@ Try and do it on a group of people so at least one of them remembers the card

@Ask "do you have a good memory" if they say "yes" you can do the trick on them, if they say "No", do the trick on them or do it on someone with them

@ When they see their card, tell them "It is essential that you remember this card, remember what it is, say it in your head, remember what it looks like... do you have it, okay, keep repeating it in your head so you don't forget it."

@ At any point during you trick, just ask "do you remeber what you card was, don't tell me, just remember it, okay"...continue with trick

@ (As the above) If they say that they don't remember their card and have someone with them, ask that person if they remember the card (make sure they don't tell you), if they say yes, tell them to whisper the name of the card to their friend.

@If however, they say no, stop the trick and
a. perform it later
b. start again

@ If during the trick, when performing on one person, you ask them if they remember their card and they say no, start again or stop the trick.

Hope this helps
Scottsean :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:49 pm 
born to perform.

take a peek at the top card and say "your card will now magically rise to the top of the deck*say name of top card*then (after naming card)turn it over :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:56 pm 
born to perform.

just make sure you remember to mention to burn the image into their heads and remember every deatail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:36 am 
Penguin

Here's a little suggestion for Invisible Deck owners. I keep that thing on me at all times just for an out. This suggestion grows out of the use of an ID for when you accidently lose the specs card in your real deck or you force the wrong card. Anyway.

"And what was your card?"

"I don't remember"

"Well this is a bit awkward. Why don't you just think of any card you want.... Great, now I have two decks on me. In this deck I turned one card upside down before we ever started this trick. You did your very best to screw the trick up by forgetting the name of your card... no worries, you thought of one on your very own. I cannot control your thoughts, unless I really wanted to, but we're not going to get into that tonight. Look, the King of Diamonds."

This is also a great way to get out of the even MORE irritating situation where the person thinks they correctly recall their card, but you know they are wrong:

"And here's you're card, the King of Diamonds!!"

"No, I had the King of Hearts."

"Really? Are you sure? Dangit. The King of Hearts is always messing up my tricks! In fact, I usually banish it by performing a Voodoo trick. See before, you even selected the King of Hearts---before we even started this trick---at home this morning I turned one card upside down in this other deck to ward off it's effects... How you knew it would screw up my trick, I have no idea. But you freely chose it.... the King of Hearts."

Someting like that. Honestly, I don't make up stuff about an evil card and voodoo. I make it a little more simple.

Anyway, I think these sorts of outs call for extra reassuring them of what has happened and what is going to happen. Because they are not naturally routined into a great effect (obviously, otherwise I'd plan on doing this as a routine!), they may be hard for some to follow. But in the end, you look like you planned it. Good times.

Get out your ID and show that the thought of card is the only one upside down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:34 am 
Penguin

I usually say "take a peek at your card and remember it."

And when they take their eyes away fro mthe card, i sometimes say

"And take another peek in case i switched the card."

Works for me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:39 am 
born to perform.

Harwin didnt expect to see you on here :o

I would say this to you...

Dont do to many effects where they have to remember cards (in a row!)
Otherwise it becomes a bit overwhelming.

But as stated before, signing the card, and drilling the point home that they must burn the image into their mind are great tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:26 pm 
Penguin

Well that's fine but I think emphasising the point for them to remember the card is a better option if you're doing these tricks often due to the fact that if you're doing these sort of tricks 5 or 6 times a day you're going to go through a truck load of cards if you get your specs to sign the card every time ! But if you're doing tricks like these a few times a week then signing is obviously a much better option because even if they forget the card their signature is still on it ? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:20 am 
Penguin

then do the trick again...or forget bout it and do another trick

but if u're doing it to a magician...say "it's alright, i'll control it to the top..."...hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:38 am 
Penguin

I guess I have just been lucky when that happens. I ask the spectator to choose annother card and slip force or classic force the card since it has usually arrived back at the top of the deck...heh heh heh The spectator will recognize the card and not forget it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

My dad sometimes forgets his card on the FIRST trick. Anyways, why ruin a perfectly good deck by signing a card?