View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: "I forgot the card I selected"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:50 am 
Penguin

NutScrewsAndBolts wrote:
What do you say to someone who forgets what card he/she selected?
I guess this typically happens during the third or fourth trick, when they may have the card from the previous trick fresh in their mind.

i usually have them write down there card on a piece of paper because i know alot of people forget there card well for example i have them chose a card and say its queen of spades and i go through the trick and make their card disapear or somethin and theyll sware they chose the king of spades and i cant convince them they have chosen the queen of spades and then the trick wasnt realy a trick to them so i almost always have them write down there card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:49 am 
Penguin

If i am doing a single card selection i always get them to show the rest of the people watching but i also just tell them to REMEMBER it.
Its not that difficult to remember a card and i just generally say, "Now, please try and remember it or i will look like a complete idiot at the end."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:38 pm 
Penguin

haha this has been a problem with me too. people forgetting their card(s) . 1 of the 1st good tricks i ever learnt was to have some1. select 3 cards out of a spread face down pack. 3 cards i asked them to select. and id show they picked them at the end. but they always forgot the 3 cards. and i cant blame them. remembering 3 cards while following instructions is darn hard. so try and do effects which require less concentration by the spectator. if some1 forgets 1 card usually just make a joke of it. like id say "look see, the card u chose, i could not possibly see or know. but lo and behold i stole it from your mind and memory" hehe usually gets a laff. i suppose you could ask them to write it down, which seems too much sometimes.signed card great idea. but the simplest wherever possible) is to have them show some1 else it.
:) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:16 pm 
Penguin

There are times when wise spectators either lie or refuse to say.

Magi: "...and what was your card?"
Spec: "Er, I forgot. :oops: You tell me, your the magician!"

To rule this out common with mind effects I usually have a card sighted, noted on an blank index card and verified with another stranger spectator. Then I can have a third spectator read the first specatators card value.

When I am a specator in a large audience of another magician's show, I tend to make sure I remember the card and say the correct response as I feel it is the right thing to do otherwise I'd be upsetting the show. I can understand it could not be an easy task for a nervous spectator.

I wonder if anyone on this board has forgotten, lied or refused to another magician about their sighted card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:00 pm 
Penguin

freedoggy77 wrote:
My dad sometimes forgets his card on the FIRST trick. Anyways, why ruin a perfectly good deck by signing a card?

You've never done a signed card effect? Do you do card magic? I've never seen a magician worried about the condition of their deck in terms of writing on it. Usually its the layperson that doesn't want to sign the card because they're afraid they'll ruin your deck. Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:14 pm 

The easiest way to have a signed card involved is to carry around cards from another deck. Add one to the deck you're using and force it on the spec. That way you don't have to worry about them signing it. The problem with signing cards is that that card is going to be removed from the deck. What happens next time you tell someone to name a card and they name that card. You can't say you named the only card not in the deck because they'll want to sort through the cards and make sure. Once you've signed a card, that card shouldn't be put back in unless it's for a later effect. What happens when a spec just reaches in and takes that card out. You look like less of a pro, because you're using an old deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:38 pm 
Penguin

If you are worried about them forgetting their card, then dont do what i did and perform at an alzhiemers old folks home.

Your card was the eight of hearts my [edited]! :evil:

Post subject: sign it
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:26 am 
born to perform.

3 suggestions

1.) Have them show it to the other spectators, they wont all forget.
2.) Dont do so many pick a card tricks
3.) Have them sign the card, not only does everyone immediatly know it's their card. It doesnt matter if they forgert the card, they signed it. Also it proves that you are not using a duplicate card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:24 am 
Penguin

If someone forgets their card I got right into Paul Harris's Cue Cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:10 pm 
Penguin

Before a show, write in on a piece of paper 'Due to my powers of suggestion, you will forget your card' and put it in your wallet. If they forget their card, say 'I thought so' and bring out the piece of paper. Put a date on it of the day before or somehting like that too.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:54 am 
Penguin

Just get a copy of "Outs, Precautions and Challenges" by Charles H. Hopkins. It's one of the best card books that you can get.