View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: i need help about doing magic at school
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:17 pm 
Penguin

every single time i do any trick everyone will just come up and grab the deck or will know how its done and tell everybody.i was doing the humming boird card everyone always while im in the middle of it they will search me.

what should i say to them to cover up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:49 pm 
Penguin

i think that you shouldn't do the effects at school that people might know. The hummingbird card can be messed up many ways when at school. You can't let people walk all over u like that, show them effects first that establish yourself as a magician, then do effects like the hummingbird card towards the end. They will respect u more, and your peformance will be more believeable. People say stay away from gimmicks, but don't always listen to them, card work is good also, but may get boring for people. Just carefully pick out what you do, and good luck! AS for hecklers or people who always want to ruin things, just say something and leave, if that person wants to ruin it, he will ruin it for everyone, and the others around you will be mad at him because they were enjoying what u were doing. that's basically what i do, but people stopped being obnoxious and everything after i established myself, hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:42 pm 
Penguin

i know how u feel bud, the first couple of times ive performed were full of lessons. outa my experience, if u are planning on getting a large croud or something in that nature, always do tricks that are angleproof. when u start on something, there'll always be people "backstage" and can see stuff that u might not want them to see, and controlling the croud might seem a lil suspicious. another thing is visual. visual tricks are very hard hitting and it eliminates the thought of u trying to do a secret move (ex. erdnase colour change hits HARD). overall, try to have fun, and they'll do the same... most of the time, lol. try it out bro, in the specs mind, if angles are not a problem, and that they seem to be able to see THE MOVES = real magic 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:11 am 
Penguin

I've had people do that...and I just grab the stuff back forcefully and quickly and say that I won't show anything else unless they are compliant, and people like watching tricks so much that they will usually sit down, shut-up, and enjoy themselves...

When they find out a trick, a magician is no longer a magician...he is now a cheap con-artist...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:02 pm 
born to perform.

i did kinetic rings at school (bat owners listen) when someone grabbed the rings from me, but they were examinable, so they looked really stupid, cause everyone thought there was an adhesive there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:22 pm 
Penguin

hehe...yeah...examinable stuff is the best...that's why I love the b-2 bomber....when handled right of course...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:04 pm 
born to perform.

You can get Misled, and with that same pencil, you can actual perfrom The No 2 Pencil, get that too.
- Rachael :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:06 pm 
born to perform.

good idea dude (no pun intended)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:58 pm 
Penguin

um...hehe...

Yeah, the pencil is a good one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:14 pm 
Penguin

If people are grabbing at your stuff, it's likely because of the way you've structured your routine. Start with strong, ungimmicked effects, things like the No. 2 pencil. Then, later, go into the gimmicked stuff, once they've examined a bunch of things. If you've already shown them incredible stuff that they can examine, chances are they'll stop asking after a while. Mould your routine around your audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:48 am 
born to perform.

Dude13311 wrote:
You can get Misled, and with that same pencil, you can actual perfrom The No 2 Pencil, get that too.

err...... thats exposure because now I fiured out how to do the No 2 pencil.

Thanks though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:12 pm 
born to perform.

freedoggy77 wrote:
Dude13311 wrote:

err...... thats exposure because now I fiured out how to do the No 2 pencil.

Thanks though. :lol:
outta curiosity, how is that exposure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:01 pm 
Penguin

Simple DONT LET THEM LOOK AT ANYTHINK!!!! :D .Unless you have something that can be examined

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:21 pm 
Penguin

The first time (and so far only time) I performed at school, I was doing the biddle trick, and they took the cards from me in the middle of the trick and said "I can do something better than that", and proceded to do the 21 card trick. He did not even let me get half way through the trick, so I know there was no way he knew what I was doing at that point. All he had done was pick a card.

I hope this year brings better luck with performing outside of magic club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:26 am 
Penguin

I just start the presentation joking about how I'm a magician and they are the public, and that I'm on a stage and they can't reach me. Also expain, a little bit more seriously, that if some one finds out how the trick is done maybe other people in the audience didn't and that they shoudn't ruin it for them. Usually it works.