17 Things To Say When Things Go Wrong
by Gary McCaffrey
Every magician screws things up sometimes, as humans we are naturally going to get things wrong from time to time. There are always days when things just won't go as planned. The most effective ways to keep the audience on your side is to either act like it was supposed to happen and make good from your mistake (if you can), or, my favourite, just say something funny and dive straight in to another trick. Here are 17 examples of things you can say, learn a few of them and apply them to the kind of mistake you made.
1. "jeez...thats weird, it worked in the magic store"
2. "Oops...did I say I was a magician? I meant musician! For my next song I'd like to play..."
3. "The real magician will be here shortly, I'm just standing in"
4. "It's all part of the show folks--the part that hasn't been rehearsed!"
5. "That's the first time that ever happened again"
6. "It doesn't look as bad from my side"
7. "I'm curious to see how i get out of this myself"
8. "What do you expect, I'm payed 3 dollars an hour, and don't even work for more than 10 minutes, you do the math"
9. "I knew I should've had decaf"
10. Stare blankly at the trick that went horribly wrong. Blink your eyes a couple times really stupidly. Then throw it over your shoulder and practically yell "...AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK..." Then just go on with your routine.
11. If you drop something, "Wow, good thing the floor was there to catch that"
12. "I forgot to compensate for the rotational effect of the earth"
13. "Did... did I show you the (insert last successful trick) trick?
14. "Wait - COME BACK"
15. "wow, its so quite in hear you could hear a career drop"
16. "Thats what we magicians call misdirection, I pretend to mess up, and while I have your attention, my assistant sneaked by into the next room with an elephant for a trick I'm doing later. If you don't believe me, go check."
17. "There is only one thing this trick is missing... talent!"
Gary McCaffrey, Performing Street Magician. Gary McCaffrey rugularly performs to both magicians and ordinary people in bars clubs & streets throughout Ireland and the UK. Check out the website for more great magic tricks and tips Available at:
This is a "Shareware" Article
(what's that? read on...)
This article is shareware. Give this article away for free on your site, or include it as part of any paid package as long as the entire article is left intact including this notice. Copyright © 2003 Gary McCaffrey.
Posted By Tyler