View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: People Who Try To Figure Out Tricks
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:49 pm 
born to perform.

Does anyone have anything to say to the people who after you do a trick, try to figure out how you do a trick. It gets really annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:44 pm 
born to perform.

up your presentational skills, and then you'll rarely have the problem. there are the occasional few that won't settle for not knowing, so if possible, you could tell them that you don't want to perform for them if they won't appreciate your magic. I highly recommend the presentational skills though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:05 pm 
born to perform.

mysteriousone wrote:
up your presentational skills, and then you'll rarely have the problem. there are the occasional few that won't settle for not knowing, so if possible, you could tell them that you don't want to perform for them if they won't appreciate your magic. I highly recommend the presentational skills though.

what do you mean by presentation skills?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:09 pm 
Penguin

Sometimes, rookie magicians present magic in such a way that it appears more like a trick or fooler or challenge. Those types of presentations lead people to try to meet your challenge and try to figure out your "trick." If you really concentrate on your routine and pull it out of trickster-land, then people are willing to sit back and be entertained, rather than trying to figure out the trick. They need to know that you are a pro, not some ametuer trying to pull one over them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:10 pm 
born to perform.

skate13 wrote:
mysteriousone wrote:

what do you mean by presentation skills?

I mean putting some work into presenting your effects. Most amateurs (including myself at one time) don't put in the work necessary to make an entertaining presentation for your effects. There are many books on the subject. I'd recommend Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment.

Post subject: Lemme give you a hint.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:16 pm 
Penguin

I'm going to tell you what other people told me......don't preform for these people. Just preform for people who will respect what we do as magicians.

Post subject: Re: Lemme give you a hint.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:39 am 
Penguin

magicallstar wrote:
I'm going to tell you what other people told me......don't preform for these people. Just preform for people who will respect what we do as magicians.

Yes, I agree that we should try to avoid performing for these people, but how if you are doing a paid walkaround? It won't be very good if you just walk away from them right? I was in such a situation myself and felt obliged to do something for them and sure enough they tried to figure the method (tried to check my cards, etc). Tried to get out of there as soon as possible after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:20 am 
Penguin

Another idea is to use tricks which leave you clean, or switch the deck/pen whatever as soon as you are done....

And if you are doing a walkaround, then you can just politely excuse yourself (I can see i'm interrupting, you, do enjoy the rest of your evening... / 'It looks like someone over there wants to see a trick - if you'll excuse me etc...)and go to another group of people, then make a point of ignoring them for the rest of the night... I don't know if they'll learn anything, but they'll get that they've offended you (hopefully).

The point is there is a small percentage of the human population that you should not and cannot perform for, they just don't want to be entertained...

I also have to agree with everybody else - present the trick to the audience in such a way that you are letting them in not shutting them out... (Acting surprised when a trick works, crediting the volunteer etc...). This will minimise the possibility of being questioned. (and you can say ' I really don't know... / it's never done that before...')