View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "do the one where....."
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:54 am 
Penguin

What do i do when i just showed an effect to a spectator that requires a lot of set up, then one of their friends enter the room and they tell me to show them the same effect? Usually i say "hows about i show you one even better" and that usually works, but sometimes the original spectator describes the effect to the new person and then they really do want to see the 1st effect that takes a lot of set up. As many other effects that i show they still say "c'mon let me see that one that he is talkiin about."

WHAT DO I DO?

IVAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:35 am 
born to perform.

My advice is, to buy tricks that don't require THAT much setup. If it takes you too long to set it up then i wouldnt bother. It won't be practical for you everyday magic. Well thats what i think! I suggest getting a couple of DVD's or something to get tricks that don't require setup.

~~Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:19 pm 
born to perform.

yeah, u should just stick to impromptu tricks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:25 pm 
born to perform.

If it is a card effect that requirres a set up with a normal deck of cards, carry two decks with you and do a deck switch while you are trying to 'talk your way out of it'.

Your best defense is one you are already using however, offer to show them something else. And have a lot of impromptu effects lined up to show everyone.

Or, if you get a moment to yourself, reset the set up. Or devise a method to do the reset quickly and unnoticed by your specs.

However I would NOT recommend showing the same effect again right away to the same person. Offer the friend an opportunity to see it later away from the first person who saw it and really built it up for them.

Just a few random thoughts on your problem.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:33 am 
born to perform.

You could make up fake excuses like:
- It's just run out of batteries
- I'm only down to my last few refills (ask them to pay you so you can get more "refills" otherwise you won't show them)
- But it's Tuesday!
- Sorry, i need to go and polish my wand (use your "wand-polishing" time to set the trick up)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:21 am 
born to perform.

i like those alot lawboy. I would also suggest never doing the same rick2 times in a row. the spectator then knows what to look for and may figure it out more easily. 8)

Post subject: Re: "do the one where....."
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

magicman15ci wrote:
What do i do when i just showed an effect to a spectator that requires a lot of set up, then one of their friends enter the room and they tell me to show them the same effect? Usually i say "hows about i show you one even better" and that usually works, but sometimes the original spectator describes the effect to the new person and then they really do want to see the 1st effect that takes a lot of set up. As many other effects that i show they still say "c'mon let me see that one that he is talkiin about."

That's the problem with being the guy who knows a few tricks, vs. performing a magic show. Work on your spectator management. Hold off on showing the effects, untill you let everyone know to grab anyone who may enjoy the show. Once the show is done, you're done.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:02 am 
born to perform.

I second what Wayno said!

BUT, I know sometimes you are in a situation when just one or two extra people appear.

Casually say, "Sure, in a while." Then go use the restroom!

Or, "I almost made a BIG mistake." Then throw in any joke here like, "I almost produced REAL money and that would be counterfeiting so I'm going to wait until I've had time to work on it."