View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Its in your other hand"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:23 am 
Penguin

I do a lot of coin work which involves a fair bit of "holding out" or palming. I was just wondering how people handle it when you do a successful false transfer/take/put etc etc, and the spectator is fooled, but then using common sense they immediately turn to the other hand and use the abovementioned line?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:33 am 
Penguin

u could try ditching it in your pocket or in ur lap? but if u need the coin to produce it again, ot somthing, this is what i done.

i was doing the simple "french drop" when some said lemme see your other hand. when at the point i heard the words "let me.." i knew what they were going to say, so i rolled it into back palm, and showed me hand empty...

they said "o.. ok carry on they look straight bakc at your other hand, so now the heat is off u can get the coin pack into finger palm, or tenkai pinch...:D :D

hope it helps..:P

-Derry-:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:17 am 
born to perform.

That's a sweet idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:32 am 
Penguin

Lawboy wrote:
That's a sweet idea!

aaaaw shucks! :oops:

hehe.. thx! :P

P.S. Yay to me! its my 200th post!! yippee! hehe :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:21 am 
born to perform.

congrats. BUt anways, just make sure that you practice even more and get it down perfect :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:20 pm 
Penguin

I have two ways of doing this. Backpalming, (well i use the goshman pinch but its basically the same thing) which works well, or i sometimes just do a silvester pitch. If done well, then it appears as if you show one hand empty front and back, then just put that hand down as you show the other hand emptry front and back. Or you could just do Hypnovanish and eliminate teh whole problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:05 pm 
Penguin

ER wrote:
Or you could just do Hypnovanish and eliminate teh whole problem.

aaaah yes but the problem at hand is the fact that the coin is still needed to like reproduce or summet! hehe ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:56 pm 
Penguin

my basic coin vanish goes like this. false transfer into classic palm, snap with the hand that has the coin towards the other one, and then show the alwready empty hand empty. about 80 percent of the time, if they were going to as to see my other hand they dont, because they automatically think that you cnat snap with anything hidden in your hand.

my other one, this is when i dont need to reproduce it is this. false transfer, go into pocket for pencil (magic wands are too prop looking) ditch the coin and push the pencil through my fist. my patter then says "look i penetrated the coin", and they say, no you just avoided it. and i say "ah, you got me and show my hand empty".

alright i'll shutup now hope this helps. its not really and out but its a way to avoid that situation :) :D :) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:30 am 
Penguin

Heh, this happened to me today - I got the 'hey - show us a trick Nathan..' so i borrowed a coin and frenchdropped it.

This is the first slight I learned, and I still do it today, (both to impress people and as a finger exercise).

Now the problem with this trick is that everyone knows the idea and so I've been working on expanding it with a move where I cross my hands and drop the coin (so i can show 'both hands empty') and then reproduce the coin (in the same hand). (that wasn't a very good explaination, sorry...)

So I vanished the coin and she brought it, so I pulled it out of her ear. That was when she figured it out, so I did a thumb palm (first two fingers to thumb palm), and then did the crossover move... It blew her away...

If anyone wants me to do the explanation better, let me know... (maybe in another topic...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:02 pm 
Penguin

Horrrraaaayyy!!!! COINS! My expert subject!!!
:lol: :lol:
Ok, here we go:

:arrow: You can simply, as preveously mentioned, snap (or 'click', as i say) with the hand with yhe coin palmed, which, (to the spectator) excludes the possibility of a concealed coin.

:arrow: If they say 'It's in there', pointing to the hand, you say no, it's here, and pluck it out of the sky, or your armpit, or wherever you feel like. WHENEVER you just show someone a vanish (not part of a trick), always reproduce the coin quickly, magically and convincingly. That way, no-one has a chance to think about where the coin was. Even if you keep a duplicate coin in your shoe or something, so you can produce it from there. Whatever way you do it, don't (1) end a trick with a coin palmed without doing some sort of 'empty-hand manouver', or (2) without reproducing the coin. You could even do both.
This rule doesn't always apply, but in most cases, the reactions are better
and there are less hecklers.

:arrow: Use the 'Downs New Changeover Palm' (Moden Coin Magic, page 318) or any other 'empty hand manouver', like the 'Warm-Up Production' (Revolutionary Coin Magic), but without the production.
Oz uses the 'Downs New Changeover Palm' on the 'Half Dollar Flipper-Coin' demo (where he vanishes the 1 coin, before making 3 again) This is my #1 peice of advice for you, as it doesn't reveal any coins, it just shows your hands empty.

:arrow: You can backpalm the coin, as previously mentioned.

:arrow: You could ditch the coin.

These are just some suggestions. If you don't want to use them, there's no pressure.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:35 pm 
Penguin

One of my favorite things to do when a spectator says "It's in THAT hand..." is to perform Greg Wilson's "All Around Vanish" from "On the Spot"...it will allow you to show that hand completely empty, but then you will still be able to get the coin back into the hand in order to complete whatever routine you happen to be doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:34 pm 
Penguin

normall i were over shirts with pockets and when i draw attention to my empty hand i put my hand casually to my chest and ditch the coin in the pocket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:22 pm 
Penguin

Downshifter awesome point. I could have used that earlier this month :( lol. Greg Wilson is awesome :D (and so is his last name)

Nick 8)

Post subject: Topit soulution
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:41 pm 
Penguin

Micheal Ammar devised a wonderful prop called the Topit. Most of you have probably heard of this but for those of you who have not I'll give a basic explaination. Its a liner sewn into the back of a jacket.. Its basically a huge pocket. I have seen people vanish 2 liter bottles with this device. If you dont need the coin again and the heat is on.. All you do is lean forward a bit..cross your arms, and poof. No more heat. Ammar sells a pattern for the Topit on his website. Its well worth the money and will add dozens of bits to your repitoire.

In service to the magical dream

David Blake