View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:08 pm 
Penguin

I hate it when people think they know how you did a trick and they are so far off it's not funny. Then they tell everyone how you did it and now everyone else is wrong about how you did it. I also hate gimmick grabbers and those goof offs who don't respect the business by refusing to leave you alone until you tell them how you did a trick. Basically I just need something (preferably comedy one liners but anything is acceptable) to keep these annoying people at bay. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:13 pm 
Penguin

Just dont bother, in other words, DONT perform for these kinds of people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:24 am 
Penguin

Ya I just ignore them, and if it's in a setting like a bar I walk away and stop showing them effects. I don't think people fully understand how rude it is to do this becuase they don't do magic themselves. Then again some people are just rude and want to show how smart they are. These people are ussually the most ignorent people you'll perform for. They take a wild shot in the dark on how you did something and it's way off. BUT if they are way off, then they don't know how to do it so who cares. Just blow them off and be on your way, maybe they won't do it to another magician when they see how rude it is. Oh, and when someone doas that to me and they are pretty close to how I do the trick, I play dumb like thats not how it's done. When in doubt play dumb. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with quicker_then_the_eye. There is no law to say that you must perform magic to everyone, especially if they aren't paying you. Because of that, only show tricks to those you are sure will respect the trick and leave you alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

They are going against it because they are jealous.
- Rachael :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:56 pm 
Penguin

Yeah...just don't entertain them...because that's what magic is...ENTERTAINMENT...and when they do that, guess what? It's no longer entertainment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:36 pm 
born to perform.

If ever someone starts 'explaining' how I performed an effect by saying something along the lines of "He does/did a special move...."etc or "I saw you do a special move...",

I will reply by saying this in a polite yet firm voice...

"Well, sir/madam, if you do not wish to be entertained, yet still spoil it for everyone else, I will do another special move. I will move on to someone else who would like to see some magic."

This may sound harsh, but I say this with a smile to and with a casual appearance.

Fortunately, I have never had to use this line many times, if at all.

Tony :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:13 pm 
Penguin

I hate it when that happens. Just dont perform for them, move on to another group and explain why to the specs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:32 pm 
born to perform.

If they don't know how to appericate magic performance, then don't perform it to them. You aren't getting pay if i am right, restaurant doesn't have much of this customers. So if i am right you should be performing in school, where you have people who doesn't know the code and ethics of a professional job. Well don't perform it to them, unless you really could manage the last crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:25 pm 
Penguin

Just walk off, man.
There's no one line that will make all hecklers melt onto you like fluffy animals. Some people just don't like magic. If they're way off, chances are that the audience will realize that what they're suggesting is totally implausible and laugh them off. If nothing else, it gives you a laugh later. As for the ones who have it right, they're more annoying. tallant has the right idea for this situation.

Whatever you do though, don't try to make a heckler look foolish. If they do it to themselves, that's fair. If you make them look stupid, it will only make them madder, so here's a line to avoid.

"So if you know how it's done, why don't you try it" This is the worst line you could use. If they do try it, anyone who hasn't already profited from the heckler's explanation gets to see them do it again with props. If they can't do it, it just makes them madder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:42 am 
Penguin

some people dont like being decepted, it makes them feel stupid as if they should have known what you were doing they are usually the arragant pomposous ones, they are easy to spot in a room, they are the loud obnoxious ones and must be avoided at all times do not do tricks near them or to them, they will always feel the need to get one over on you and will ruin your set just for there own personal gain. To all the young illusionists keep this in mind when your out performing your craft it will ensure that the secrets stay where they should be...... with US.

PYRUS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

Yep.

Too many people can't enjoy magic. Fine, you can try and work out how it's done in your head, but you still have to treat the performance as entertainment.

Basically, the abvice I'm giving is the same as everyone elce. Say
"I'm sorry. I don't perform magic to people who don't appericate it."
Even though you feel like a complete dope when you say it, a lot of people will be really annoyed with the person who reaked the magic for them.

Just like Winder said, you hardly ever get these people in restraunts (if your doing table hopping).

Most people aren't like this however and treat magic as entertainment.

:D DW

[/quote]

Last edited by DWmagic on Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:04 pm 
born to perform.

You all probably see this coming...

...Beat the #$*@ out of them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:46 pm 

I tried to use some Sponge Balls on a kid that refused to cooperate. I just left him alone and forgot about it.

Post subject: true story
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:08 am 
Penguin

One time I was peforming in a bar and I meet a whole table of HECKLERS. Bless their puny little minds.HA! :D.

I was doing Cardtoon(one on my faves :D ) and one of them just grabbed the deck out of my hands and ran around the room showing everyone the deck. Later as I was leaving I saw her again but in this time in the back of a police car!!! The bartender gave me my deck back and all was well.

blah
:D