View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to handle hecklers, the proper way.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:32 pm 
Penguin

After reading over this forum, it appears to me, that many people try to deal with hecklers by challenging them.

I've seen responses such as:

Tell them to 'Back off', or 'Oh yeah I bet your girlfriend is...' or 'oh yeah, you do it then.'

Guys and Gals, this is a no no, this is an example of your ego getting in the way.

In fact, I know it may seem lame, but the ole kill em with kindness is the best way let me give you some...good ideas...bad ideas.

Bad Idea:
Heckler: Bah, I know exactly how you do that.
Magician: Is that right, lets see you do it then big boy.

Good Idea (Same Situation)
Magician: It really is a neat effect, where did you come across it?

(have conversation with them, this makes them less defensive, and less intrusive on your future shows too)

Bad Idea:
Heckler: AHa! Caught you! You lifted up two cards!
Magician: Man, you ruin it for everyone else, do you have a problem with me?

Good Idea (same situation):

Wow, we got some quick eyes here, but just how quick are they... (said in a nice tone) then do a, one on one card switch, or magic for that individual person, while everyone is watching. If you don't get caught with this one, and it's mind blowing. Your good to go.

I think this is desperatly needed as I see so many people taking a negative attitude toward hecklers on here. Granted there not fun, but they do exist.

If you're in customer service, you take the good customers with the bad customers, and work with everyone. Same as in magic.

Bad Idea: How do you do that
Magician: I can't show you that.

Good Idea: ( Same situation)
Magician: Can you keep a secret? -- Spectator: Yeah -- Magician: So can I. (not in a smart ellec way, but with a smile on your face)

Rick

PS If your hecklers start having fun, then I guarantee you they'll get quieter and quieter, and your "good" spectators will respect you that much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:11 pm 
born to perform.

I am not sure if the top two would work in real life but, I know we all probaly use something along the good line of the last one.

-Freds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:49 pm 
Penguin

The problem I find with the first two is that you would be giving up the idea that you do magic and not just tricks and not everyone would be comfortable with that. If they've already completely figured it out then I guess you've already lost your credibility, but usually there would be at least some doubt left in the hecklers mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:05 am 
Penguin

TheMaestro wrote:
The problem I find with the first two is that you would be giving up the idea that you do magic and not just tricks and not everyone would be comfortable with that. If they've already completely figured it out then I guess you've already lost your credibility, but usually there would be at least some doubt left in the hecklers mind.

You make a really good point here. I agree with you on this.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not so much as how to respond nicely, but what I'm really trying to say, is don't forcefully challenge the hecklers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:33 pm 
born to perform.

there good, excpet, all magicians hate hecklers, and well, starting a conversation after they ruin an effect, is not what most people do unfortunatly, hats off to those that do though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:22 pm 
Penguin

I had this problem very recently when i was doing the Stealth Pen thru Dollar. The hecklar proceeded to reach for the pen. THen before i ditched the gimmick he asked for what was in my hand. I ditched it as fast as i could but he caught me and asked for whats in my pockets. This was not looking good and i found myself getting very frustrated and angry with the hecklar. I asked him very politley if he thinks he can bust me up again and proceeded to do "That's It" from ETMCM. After which he never bothered me again.

Basically i try to pull the hecklar into the spotlight with me.

I agree with what bjjrick says, don't get mad at the hecklar, be the biggar nicer magician. People like a nice magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:50 am 
Penguin

dbrennan wrote:
I had this problem very recently when i was doing the Stealth Pen thru Dollar. The hecklar proceeded to reach for the pen. THen before i ditched the gimmick he asked for what was in my hand. I ditched it as fast as i could but he caught me and asked for whats in my pockets. This was not looking good and i found myself getting very frustrated and angry with the hecklar. I asked him very politley if he thinks he can bust me up again and proceeded to do "That's It" from ETMCM. After which he never bothered me again.

Basically i try to pull the hecklar into the spotlight with me.

I agree with what bjjrick says, don't get mad at the hecklar, be the biggar nicer magician. People like a nice magician.

Thanks,

Some people don't like to be "fooled" or think they are faster then the average person.

Magic, is like customer service, you got to take the good with the bad.
But you can't get mad back, or you'll run everyone off, and word spreads.