View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I hate it!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:07 pm 
Penguin

i was doing sort of a show last night for my brother and five other friends. and so i started doing a couple of coin moves and tricks when after i was done his friend comes over grabs the coin and he says i know how you did that. So he tries to do what i did and does it completely wrong and different than how i did it. and then my brother and the rest of them are all like so thats how he did it but it totally wasnt and i tried to explain to them that that wasnt how i did it but they wouldnt listen and they lost intrest and they went away. and i had a whole routine left for them. Is there any way i could explain to them that wasnt how i did it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:46 pm 
born to perform.

Family and friends are the toughest audience. They knew you when you weren't Merlin the Magnificant and so they are not amazed when you show them a cool trick. They figure that you could not do this effect last month, so it must be easy. Also, we tend to show stuff to our family way too early, before we have learned the trick well, and often before we have become a compentent magician in areas like misdirection and audience management.

NO, don't bother to try to explain that they are wrong. Right now you are looking for someone to pat you on the back and say that what you did was amazing. You might not get that from your brother. I would not bother to even show them any more stuff (I do not show my daughter or wife anything) at least until they ask. If they do, say, "No, I don't do stuff for people who try to mess up my effects." See what they say, but don't look needy. And don't expect miracles. If you can't amaze them, then work on your presentation and show your stuff to other people who are nicer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:55 pm 
Penguin

yea that really ticks me off though that people arent always as amazed as they used to be :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:10 pm 
Penguin

I agree. Family and friends = horrible audience. They always will think they know more than you.

Me: My name is NickDaTrikstr (when I was younger) and I will be your magician for the day!

My little cousin andrew: NICKY NICKY! SHOW EM THE ONE WITH THE RINGS!!!

I've done a show to my family that got no response, done to another audience HUGE response.

Nick 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:02 pm 
Penguin

The reason you dont get good reactions is because they know you and theyve lived with you their whole life. So they know you dont have supernatural powers or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:09 pm 
Penguin

my sister thinks she can do whatever i can do and she will mess up horribly and there is no way i can convince her... and my dad is probably the toughest critic around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:15 pm 
born to perform.

Well bro... takes time takes time.. I practice and perform for 1 year finally i got my friends saying good job, i had improve alot etc. Well practice hard and perform well, you will get there sooner or later. Maybe even earlier than me, haha. My brother is a good audience, always asking me to show him and teach him, Hahaha.

Good luck man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:30 am 
Penguin

NickWilson wrote:
I agree. Family and friends = horrible audience. They always will think they know more than you.

Me: My name is NickDaTrikstr (when I was younger) and I will be your magician for the day!

My little cousin andrew: NICKY NICKY! SHOW EM THE ONE WITH THE RINGS!!!

I've done a show to my family that got no response, done to another audience HUGE response.

Nick 8)

yer.. that happens to me all the time and it sucks! :evil: Always wen i do a trick 4 a stranger and members of my family r there someone alays jumps in and says '' show them the one that u change the aces '' and stuff. boy am i mad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:45 pm 
Penguin

I practise alot before I show anyone, even my family, and they have no idea how most of the stuff I do is done.

--I believe you have my stapler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:50 pm 
Penguin

I practice for my 2 year old daughter. She is the best audience ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:30 am 
born to perform.

LOL.... Thats the problem with family sometimes, especially your older brothers/sisters. They tend to think that you are as "Normal" as them so you can't possibly perform any magic. Hahaha......