View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: whats in your other hand...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:13 am 
Penguin

hi guys and gals, I know topics similar to this one has been talked about, but i couldnt find the exact one that i am think of so ill jus post it now :D
Lets say u were doing a trick and at the end your other hand comes up and ditches the gimmick. While your ditchin, one of your specs look at your hand mysteriously and asks whats in that hand. What would u do?
You have your gimmick in your hand, and u cant just show it to em... I know it takes practice but it could happen. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:16 am 
born to perform.

You cant do anything if they catch you but you can less the posibilities of that happening.

if your false transfer is good an you DONT look at the other hand and keep staring at the hand that is suppose to have the object then you wont be caught.

Practice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:57 pm 
Penguin

I don't care how good your false transfer is M_B! Spectators are not dumb...they think about what they are watching and their minds immediately jump to the other hand when something vanishes. Note that this advice comes from David Roth whose retention pass looks exactly the same as placing a coin into your hand! One way to get around that is to immediately show where the object traveled to i.e. coin box, under card, etc...Also Marlo's spider vanish can be thrown in to knock overly aggressive "other hand" spectators on their heals...

Now to the original question, depending on what gimmick you're talking about you have several options. You can perform Greg Wilson's "All-Around Vanish," Dan Sylvester's "Sylvester Pitch," or ditch the object any way you possibly can. The best way to get out of this situation though is to avoid getting into it. If you audience is thinking you've used a gimmick that may be held out, something wasn't performed properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:28 pm 
born to perform.

poke the gimmick in there eye and run like edited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:42 pm 
Penguin

If it's something like a spongeball or coin go "no it isn't, it's in my pocket", and pull it out of the pocket. A friend told me that and its been a lifesaver ever since

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:32 pm 
Penguin

When I was first starting, I foud that people asked me this question fairly often. I looked at my performances on video and in the mirror and found that I was unconsciously hiding my hand. Not behind my back, but I would pull it away or tighten it into a fist. Nobody keeps their hand in a fist unless they've got something in it.

Study your hand's normal position. Figure out ways to keep all your gimmicks in your hands while maintaining a similar position. Remember, the best place to hide something is in plain sight. You could even put it on your ear if you have long enough hair. I used to do this all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

Do an all around vanish, Gregory Wilson teaches it in the on the spot dvd, that would help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

The faster the trick goes by, the less the spectators will ask. Make the routine as fast as it will allow, and they'll be trying to keep up on what's happening. This works well with spongeballs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:33 pm 
Penguin

To draw attention away from that hand use it as much as you can grab their arm, snap your fingers anything to use it but not give it away. J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book has good ways to draw attention from your hand. If not I like Matrix's idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:22 am 
Penguin

what_is_the_matrix12 wrote:
poke the gimmick in there eye and run like edited

LoL It wouldnt be a great idea but still cracked me up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:29 pm 
Penguin

There was a busker show not to long ago here in Windsor, in which one busker was about to a cup and ball routine. This is a routine that you don't want the spectators looking at your other hand. So what did he do?

Well before he even started the trick he did a sucker trick. This is when he took a Five and said "Any kid who catches the trick, keeps the Five!", before saying this he already hid the five. He then pretended to do a really bad false transfer and pointed at his now empty hand. Kids started saying "It's in the other hand!", so he pretended to do another bad transfer and once again pointed to the now empty hand while pretending to a really bad palm with his other. And once again, kids started yelling "It's in the other hand!". He did this a couple times and finally opened the other hand. which of course was also empty.
He then turns to the kids and says, "Shut up!". Now he was free to do his cup and ball routine with flawless transfers and palms without having to worry about the audience trying to catch him with them. They had already been proven wrong once and embarassed, they aren't going to let it happen again.

I find public humiliation works WONDERS on shaping people up.

Anyways, that is just my opinion. I hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:45 pm 
Penguin

Hey, no one really answered your question specificly. If youre in the middle of a transfer/ditch and the spectator says hey, whats that in your other hand. Well, before i continue i guess i would need to know what kind of act you were doing, stage or close up. The following out will work best in a close up setting but can be tailered to fit the stage.

Lets say youre doing a close up act with cards. You proceed to do the effect and are cought in the middle of your ditch( lets say your going to ditch it in your right pants pocket). The thing ive done is at that point misdirect the spectators attention away from that hand for a brief moment. Lets say you have the deck of cards in your let hand and the palmed gimmick in your right. For ease of explantion the spectator will be positioned in front of you. You simply and casually extend your left hand saying ill show you what it was hold on to the cards extending your left hand towards there right side of there body to hold in their body to hold in their left hand. In saying this you point to the spectators left hand and hand him the pack. Due to the nature of you handing him the cards with your left hand towards the right side of his body it allows you to turn slighty to the right. At this moment you can ditch the gimmick in your back pocket. As soon as that is done bring your hand back around as if you never moved it and you still are palming the gimmick reach in and pull out a card case, or something not related to the effect.If you had the card case in that pocket and pulled it out you could justify that you were just simply going to put the cards away and need the case. I hope this helps you out..

Morph