View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is the best way to politely decline examination?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:53 pm 
Penguin

I am not sure of the best way to keep a spectator from examining one of my un-examinable tricks? I have tried silly things like "the magic will rub off" but this never seems to work and I usually have to just say no, which makes them suspicious.

Any Ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:58 pm 
born to perform.

do a switch! :wink: If you cant because the item cannot be switched, you could simply tell them: you are not a magician therefore you must not looks at my things! :D

Post subject: Re: What is the best way to politely decline examination?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:28 pm 
Penguin

sensouira wrote:
I am not sure of the best way to keep a spectator from examining one of my un-examinable tricks? I have tried silly things like "the magic will rub off" but this never seems to work and I usually have to just say no, which makes them suspicious.

Any Ideas?

Gimme an example of a trick that involves a prop that can't be examined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:38 pm 
born to perform.

Power Lunch. The toothpick can't be examined. But you can do a simple switch because another tooth pick can easily fit in your hand undetectible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:41 pm 
born to perform.

But what I like to do is if they ask, just say, "no I'll do it one more time" then do the trick again which will usually satisfy them, if not then decline. Say "sorry, but that's not part of the trick" or something and stuff it in your pocket. lol. Just make a little joke of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:57 pm 
born to perform.

neillio wrote:

The magic coloring book, the vanishing crayon, the Zig Zag card, Magic Stiff rope, Fearson's Box, Peanut butter & Jelly illusion, Manderin miroor box... I go on and on forever, there is no end, LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:03 pm 
born to perform.

Kevin_Donelle2 wrote:
neillio wrote:

The magic coloring book, the vanishing crayon, the Zig Zag card, Magic Stiff rope, Fearson's Box, Peanut butter & Jelly illusion, Manderin miroor box... I go on and on forever, there is no end, LOL! :lol:

For those you can do what I said. Offer to perform the effect one more time, but if they insist on seeing it, politly say something along the lines of, "Sorry but that's not part of the trick." and take it out of their sight(in a bookbag or pocket or something).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:07 pm 
born to perform.

Adding to Kevin_Donelle2's post (They are practcally allcard stuff!) : Invisible deck, Twisted Sisters, Brainwave, Card-Toon 1 and 2, Svengali deck, Bite Out Quarter, Sneak-a Peek, Special Delivery, FadeOut, Impossible Twist, Red Hot Mamacita, Matrix, Impossible Matrix, and too many more. LOL I'm done.

Post subject:
born to perform.

Adding to Kevin_Donelle2's post (They are practically all card stuff!) : Invisible deck, Twisted Sisters, Brainwave, Card-Toon 1 and 2, Svengali deck, Bite Out Quarter, Sneak-a Peek, Special Delivery, FadeOut, Impossible Twist, Red Hot Mamacita, Matrix, Impossible Matrix, and too many more. LOL I'm done.

Post subject:
born to perform.

Adding to Kevin_Donelle2's post (It's are practically all card stuff!) : Invisible deck, Twisted Sisters, Brainwave, Card-Toon 1 and 2, Svengali deck, Bite Out Quarter, Sneak-a Peek, Special Delivery, FadeOut, Impossible Twist, Red Hot Mamacita, Matrix, Impossible Matrix, and too many more. LOL I'm done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:12 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:32 pm 

When people ask to see the deck or gimmick I simply say "you just did." Put it in my pocket and walk away. Yep end of show at that time, if they want to examine props they are not interested in seeing magic but in learning secrets so I end the show on the spot.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:35 pm 
Penguin

Kevin_Donelle2 wrote:
neillio wrote:

Well, baby geniuses...each effect can have a different handleing, reason, switch, follow up trick...wait a minute, you're right. This can go on forever....
Depending on the particular trick is how you'd avoid having your not-so-ordinary objects scrutinized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:47 pm 
Penguin

Tell them that it is laced with the deadliest poison from the island of Bora Bora and that one touch could kill them instantly :wink:

On a serious note, I usually try to keep the magic moving from one trick to another so they never have time to examine or question anything. Also, before I perform, I politely tell them "please don't touch things on the table as they belong to me, and some of them could be quite expensive." This is usually enough to keep spectators from wanting to touch or examine anything. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:07 pm 
born to perform.

neillio wrote:
Kevin_Donelle2 wrote:
neillio wrote:

Well, baby geniuses...each effect can have a different handleing, reason, switch, follow up trick...wait a minute, you're right. This can go on forever....
Depending on the particular trick is how you'd avoid having your not-so-ordinary objects scrutinized.

For me they never ask to examine any of my props as they are kids, but when I am on the street people do ask to examine them. In that case I do let them look at them because on the street I only use regular decks regular coins, and many other everyday objects!