View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dealing with a "rogue" audience
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:33 am 
Penguin

How do ya'll deal with a, what I like to call, "rogue" audience? This is the audience who isn't there for the fun and are just there to give you a bad time and try to figure it out during the entire trick, and question every move you make. For example, I was doing the Slydini Silks for my sister and her frineds and they were watching every move I was making and questioning why I was covering the knot, and all that jazz. Just looking for some idea's on how to deal with them on tricks that are valnurable.

-Ekia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:45 am 

dont show them. Just wait until they start asking you.

"You always want what you cant have"

If they really want to see them, they will shape up.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:50 pm 
Penguin

Well if its just like a street audience and not really planed, i would sometimes just finish the trick and then not peform for them anymore. Just simply say no.

Sorry, but i dont know what to do if its a stage audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:11 pm 
born to perform.

if it is a stage audience, stop if able and say, " I will not continue until everyone stops yelling out so every one has a fiar chance of hearing." that is what I do whenever I do stage. if street, just either stop right there, in the middle of thr trick, and walk off. if he follows you, turn around and punch him square in the face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:31 pm 

pyrobob wrote:
if it is a stage audience, stop if able and say, " I will not continue until everyone stops yelling out so every one has a fiar chance of hearing." that is what I do whenever I do stage. if street, just either stop right there, in the middle of thr trick, and walk off. if he follows you, turn around and punch him square in the face.

Ok, do NOT follow those words of wisdom unless you want to get arrested. Why do you even post junk like that on a page where kids are very likley to be. What a great influence you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:35 pm 
born to perform.

what do u mean by rouge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:52 pm 
Penguin

LPU wrote:
what do u mean by rouge?

I mean the audience who isn't there for the fun of the magic, but there to question and examine every little move you make. Question why your hand is where it is, etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:56 pm 
born to perform.

then dont show them if they follow you dont do it untill they leave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:28 pm 
born to perform.

elimin8or23 wrote:
pyrobob wrote:

Ok, do NOT follow those words of wisdom unless you want to get arrested. Why do you even post junk like that on a page where kids are very likley to be. What a great influence you are.
sry. I was sorta hyper when I posted, and that is the way I am wehn I am hyper. soo, please listen to elimin8or23 an do not follow this advice. I sorta forgot that kids might be reading this. I am just an immature 14-year-old. soo, don't listen to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:55 am 
born to perform.

pyrobob wrote:
elimin8or23 wrote:
pyrobob wrote:

sry. I was sorta hyper when I posted, and that is the way I am wehn I am hyper. soo, please listen to elimin8or23 an do not follow this advice. I sorta forgot that kids might be reading this. I am just an immature 14-year-old. soo, don't listen to me.

I thought it was funny, no one is going to follow this advice obvously but it was funny. I like the stage line i will use that even when they are just being good spectators i'll just yell at them saying " I will not continue until everyone stops yelling out so every one has a fiar chance of hearing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:03 pm 
born to perform.

smporders wrote:
pyrobob wrote:
elimin8or23 wrote:
pyrobob wrote:

I thought it was funny, no one is going to follow this advice obvously but it was funny. I like the stage line i will use that even when they are just being good spectators i'll just yell at them saying " I will not continue until everyone stops yelling out so every one has a fiar chance of hearing."
*sarcastically says* but I said don't listen to me! *runs off and cries*

Post subject: Re: Dealing with a "rogue" audience
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Ekia_aj wrote:
How do ya'll deal with a, what I like to call, "rogue" audience? This is the audience who isn't there for the fun and are just there to give you a bad time and try to figure it out during the entire trick, and question every move you make. For example, I was doing the Slydini Silks for my sister and her frineds and they were watching every move I was making and questioning why I was covering the knot, and all that jazz. Just looking for some idea's on how to deal with them on tricks that are valnurable.

-Ekia

You need to properly misdirect and control your audience. But you may not have realized already, that performing for friends and family are completly different than performing for strangers. It is odd, for a stranger to do that.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:47 pm 
Penguin

Make sure that it's clear that the point is to be somewhat mystified. Use lines like: "for a magical purpose" or something like that.

If all else fails, just leave. If it's clear that they're not there to enjoy themselves, your time is being wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:43 am 
Penguin

Chose your audience well. This is very hard lesson to learn but I give it to you free of charge:

NOT EVERYONE LIKES MAGIC

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. No matter how good you are. How entertaining you are. Some people view magicians as tricksters and they just don't want to be lied to. Some people get a kick out of proving you're a sham. If I'm working a cold audience I will always ask the simpelist of questions, "Do you like magic?" You should be able to read their reactions and decide what kind of an audience you're dealing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:23 pm 
Penguin

If in doubt do a solid trick that you can do well then leave