View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My BAT is revealed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:20 pm 
Penguin

ok.. I was at the school, showing some people some magic... Then I came to my coinvanish.. (used the bat) (NEVER BEEN BUSTED!!).. I borrowed a coin, switched it with my own steel core one, and vanished it from her hand.. Then, a "classmate" came.. He didn`t see the coin, but he knew the secret.. He started to tell everyone, and he asked me: Is that a m****t in your sleeve?? - If it were, why would I tell YOU? - Well, If u don`t tell me, I`ll tell Everyone!! - Ok (I was trying to fool him, telling him I used some kind of sleight), but then he didn`t want me to confirm what the thing up my sleeve/BAT was.. He just wanted to have some fun.. So.. he and his mate told almost everyone.. And I ordered the Raven the day before this.. Now, I`m afraid he`ll tell everyone how the raven works, as well... But he always says when I`m performing the bat: "Roll up your sleeves.." So.. I really hope the Raven performed in short sleeves could make him stop..

Post subject: AASDF
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:48 pm 
Penguin

Personally, it's my advice to absolutely never perform anything beyond pet tricks in school. The fact of the matter is, people, particularly in school, tend to look at magic as a challenge. I'd advise avoiding it.

Anyway, in your situation, you handled it wrong. If he was certain that he figured it out, he wouldn't have asked you. He still had doubt. You led on to the Bat. Any time I mess up (and I have completely revealed a trick), I go into some incredibly long explanation that the trick is slight of hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:06 pm 
Penguin

I have a few thoughts on this. First, I believe it is best to learn skilled magic that doesn't involve gimmicks but sleight of hand and presentation. You build your reputation and people are less likely to suspect gimmicks when you do use them. Second, I never overuse a gimmick. One or two tricks spaced out. For example I only do one trick with the Raven and it doesn't even involve a vanish! It is the pulse stop/watch stop and it is a screamer. I wouldn't risk revealing the secret of that trick by doing some silly vanish that could be done with sleight of hand. Thirdly, avoid using a gimmick trick with an unfamiliar audience early in a performance and especially if you are doing just one trick. You have not established yourself so they don't take you seriously. They will challenge you. You must establish yourself so that you command their respect and attention.

Still everyone has someone that is there nemesis when it comes to performing. I have this colleague that has busted up several tricks at work. Now I go to him to test my tricks out first. I tell him if I can fool him I can fool anyone. Feed the ego and get his support. He will find any flaws and help me perfect the trick. I don't reveal unless he discovers. I use to joke with him that he is a magician's worst nightmare. I also informed him that people like to be fooled and it is best to challenge or ask a magician privately so people can be entertained (education). And I don't forget to credit him for helping me perfect the trick. I have turned an adversary into an ally.

For beginners to help relieve anxiety and build confidence if you suspect a difficult crowd I don't think it hurts to remind people you are performing "tricks" and if anyone knows the secret or sees a mistake it is best not to ruin it for others. I have done some parties where I make it clear that everything is a trick and I don't have any special powers. This seems to disarm the hecklers and everyone just enjoys the show. Alternatively you might just tell a funny story about a heckler who kept ruining your performance so you sawed him in half and left him that way. Any hecklers in the crowd? You know the kind that reveal secrets. Did you hear what happened to the Masked Magician? "No, see... nobody knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:13 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the replies.. Well, I have done magic for about 9 years, so most of the people here know, and respects me.. But this heckler don`t.. They all hate him because he ruins for me, but today I used my raven (which I got a few days ago, DXkit) and he didn`t know what hit him!! I was about to do the coinvanish when he showed up, and as predicted, he told me to roll up my sleeves.. Yea, why not?, I said.. Then I performed the raven, and he started to check my sleeves and my pockets..

But I almost never use gimmicks.. When I perform (street) magic, I usually start with a killer, like two card monte, or ambitious card - These are done with a regular deck, and sleights, right?

Then, I use Scotch & Soda, and vanish the (steel core) quarter that the centavo changed into..

Another card trick: some flourishes and the trick, wihch is a impromptu sleight trick like rising card or something like that..

Then, as a final trick, I reveal the centavo, somehow.. (spec`s pocket, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:51 am 
Penguin

stop telling him how your tricks are done. and if u do tell him, tell him a completely off the wall method in which when he tries to tell everyone, u can prove to them all that he was wrong. then he'll think twice after looking so stupid in front of everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:36 pm 
Penguin

u said u performed a centavo wat is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:58 am 
born to perform.

avodi the people that challenge you in and out of magic thats some advice i got

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:36 am 

If you're in the US, hand them a magnet and a coin. Our coins aren't magnetic. That's how I sell my Raven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:18 pm 
born to perform.

twister1616 wrote:
u said u performed a centavo wat is that?

It is a mexican coin used in a few magic effects

Quote:
Personally, it's my advice to absolutely never perform anything beyond pet tricks in school. The fact of the matter is, people, particularly in school, tend to look at magic as a challenge. I'd advise avoiding it.

Anyway, in your situation, you handled it wrong. If he was certain that he figured it out, he wouldn't have asked you. He still had doubt. You led on to the Bat. Any time I mess up (and I have completely revealed a trick), I go into some incredibly long explanation that the trick is slight of hand.

┬┐Also if some of us "kids" who are still in school don't do magic in school then what venue do we have? Adults either go "Oh, how cute" or "Wait a minute I should be able to do this too " because they hate being fooled by kids. I meen adults my mom knows and that I know have given up by know, but still it is hard to work on showmanship you have been working on for a while if school is one of your only venues.

-Mike