View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How would you answer when people ask : ...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:32 pm 
Penguin

There are some questions that a lot of people have been asking me after they watched the card tricks
- How did you do that?
It's magic or sometimes I said I don't know lol
- Where did you learn all these stuff?
- Is that a trick deck?
No, you can examine it (Sometimes I kinda feel afraid that they will fine the duplicate)
- Is it in your sleeve? (this one is funny because when I vanish or did something they always think that it is in my sleeve lol)
No, see there is nothing in there.
Lasting, what would you do when people is counting your card and you have the duplicate?

So, how would you guys answer this question.
I just want to know the oppions of everyone. Thanks.

~Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:38 pm 
Penguin

This should be in the Outs and One Liners forum, but I'll play along anyway. Why are you giving them a deck with a duplicate in it? That's just stupid. Palm it out or don't let them see the deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:20 pm 

When asked "how did you do that?" The only response is "VERY WELL. I do everything very well."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:14 am 
Emperor Penguin

I usually tell them I have been studying the process of transpositional dematerialization for a very long time now. It has shut them up for years. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:42 am 
born to perform.

GundamTC1 wrote:
Why are you giving them a deck with a duplicate in it? That's just stupid. Palm it out or don't let them see the deck.

There's nothing wrong with giving them a deck with a duplicate if that's not what they're looking for. Chances are very high that it will go unnoticed. If the duplicates are side-by-side in the deck, then it'd be noticed & raise suspicion. But, let's say you're doing an ambitious card routine with a signed card. Some people might want to observe the deck for some reason (as pointless as that would be). Would they be looking for a pair of duplicates in the deck? No. They might be curious to see if there is another signed version of their card or something. And even if they did find a set of duplicates, it wouldn't have anything to do with how you made a different, signed card keep going to the top of the deck. And if they ask about it, you can just say, "Oh, thanks, how'd that get in there?" Or, "That's where that card went! I was missing it from another decck." There are many other things you could say. But, again, chances are very low of their finding duplicates in the deck.

Post subject: Re: How would you answer when people ask : ...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:45 am 
born to perform.

kzmania wrote:
- How did you do that? paddy's post..
- Where did you learn all these stuff? years of practice and study
- Is that a trick deck? only in my hands..
- Is it in your sleeve? no
No, see there is nothing in there.

~Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:08 am 
Penguin

-How did you do that? I say, "You know, I STILL haven't figured it out, I just do."

- Where did you learn all these stuff? "I wasn't allowed any friends growing up."

- Is that a trick deck? "Trick deck? Are you insulting me?" stick out my hands, "these are trick hands, madam."

- Is it in your sleeve? I look at them and say very sarcastically and "Yes" Sometimes it's actually in my sleeve but they think I'd never tell them the truth other times I'm wearing short sleeves and it's even funnier...

Lasting, what would you do when people is counting your card and you have the duplicate? Why would they be counting my cards? If they want to see my cards, whether there's a dup or DB or anything. If I can, I'll ribbon spread and then scoop. That's all they need to see. Control your audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:31 pm 
born to perform.

Heh, I like those neil!

Saying 'madam' at the end; would you say that regardless if the person who asked the question was male or female (I'm being serious, believe it or not! :) ).
I know you are a comedic magician, so am just curious how that plays down...

Tony :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:52 pm 
Penguin

I think saying "very well, thank you" (or the variations thereof) is insulting to the spectators. If you asked a serious question, you don't want and answer that's just snobby. And to me, that's what it is. If I asked someone a question, I want a decent answer, or at the very least a joke that's not basically saying "don't ask that oh and I'm really good"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:49 pm 
Penguin

I often say, "It takes years of studying, hard work, dedication...[slight pause] and $50 bucks."

that usually gets a laughing responce.

I hate to lie but sometimes you have to. When I get asked, "Is that a trick deck?" I usually respond by saying, "No. Is that a trick leg?"

"Do that trick again!"
Reply: "How about I show you something different?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:37 pm 
Penguin

-How did you do that?

Can you keep a secret? "yes" So can I.

- Where did you learn all these stuff?

My grandfather was one of the finest magician's around. I'll tell ya he could be walking down the street and POOF just like that... he'd turn into a bar.

- Is that a trick deck?

Yes it's called a "Wolf" deck because the cards are made from wolf hair. Here hold out your finger and carefully feel the cards... [As they get close bark loudly and watch them jump. Then just fan them and assure them its normal.]

O.K., O.K. it is a trick deck see... Then do a butterfly cut. (Show them skill and they will not suspect gimmicks. Its that simple.)

Have them examine the deck before the trick. They are much less likely to notice a duplicate.

- Is it in your sleeve?

Fer twenty dolla you can check mista

-Lasting, what would you do when people is counting your card and you have the duplicate?

Never had anyone count my cards. Try to perform a series of tricks when using a trick deck or gimmick so you can keep rolling. If you just do one trick and stop you are basically challenging the audience to figure out that trick.