View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spectator- "But I don't like magic . . ."
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

The battle of the century! (Well, one of them anyway), have you ever asked someone at a convention or a show if they want to see a trick and they say they don't like magic? There are about ten other people standing around just waiting. And this guy is making you look like an idiot. I have a couple solutions to this problem:

1. Say "It's not really magic, think of it as ESP."

2. "You don't like magic? What are you here for then?"

3. "You don't? Let me prove you wrong."

4. "*Start playing 'Do You Believe In Magic . . .'*"

5. "Alright look pal, you don't like magic, yet at one point in your life you took the time to figure out what it actually meant?"

Feel free to add on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:02 pm 
born to perform.

Well if they don't like magic, you shouldn't be doing magic for them. I mean, i wouldn't expect to go up to a spec who doesn't like magic and say to them, "you BETTER friggin like magic, or else i'll do stuff to you that a mod will probably edit, you blanking blanktard!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:47 pm 
born to perform.

"Blanking blanktard?"

Okay.....:roll:

I have had tons of people say they don't like magic. My buddies have had encounters with those kinds of "blanktards" also. And I figured out a way to lure them in and trap them in the magic world. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:50 pm 
Penguin

xyzzy314 wrote:
Well if they don't like magic, you shouldn't be doing magic for them. I mean, i wouldn't expect to go up to a spec who doesn't like magic and say to them, "you BETTER friggin like magic, or else i'll do stuff to you that a mod will probably edit, you blanking blanktard!"

loll that was funny..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Remember when the old ladies told Blaine they did not like magic? He looked at them in shock and dropped his jaw while making a prolonged gasping sound. That is what you should do. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

eimzuk wrote:
xyzzy314 wrote:

loll that was funny..

well HE got it...

effin efftard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:30 pm 
born to perform.

Scheiße-Gesicht! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:32 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
xyzzy314 wrote:
well he has to express him self somehow with out breaking the rules lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Somewhere in the USA rotting my brain on my computer
uhh, are you guys gonna get back on topic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:56 am 

If the specs don't like magic, don't waste your time. Turn to someone next to them and do some effects to get gasps and by the end of the night they'll be begging to see your effects first hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:52 am 

I was at a dinner once, and I already knew the person to my immediate right wasn't interested in magic. So, when I was asked to do something I focused my attention on the person at the corner of the table placing my hands right in front of my disinterested friend. At the end of the trick, although he said he didn't care, wasn't interested, it was childish, whatever, you could hear the clunk on the table when his jaw dropped in disbelief. He still claimed not to be interested in magic, and I never pushed the issue, but I guarantee that one way or another he remembered that night.

Post subject: asdf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:21 pm 
Penguin

If there is one person in a group that doesn't like magic, but everyone else is interested, perform and perhaps try to dissuade the disinterested one's disinterest. Don't push too hard, though... However, if you are performing one-on-one and someone doesn't like magic, or a whole group doesn't like magic, don't inflict the magic upon them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:53 am 
born to perform.

Well, here's the story behind that...

I was working in a market with all sorts of vendors, people, pets, etc. This guy walks up to me after a trick and says "Hey are you a magician? I don't like magic." And he was just standing there, as well as I, looking like two fools having a staring contest. I had to do something...so I said "Well, think of it as E.S.P. then." "Okay, sure, show me something." Blah blah blah......I showed him an effect with a simple key card method and boom, he liked magic. (Actually, he was tricked into believing it was E.S.P., :twisted: )

So, the guy was somewhat of a thick person. Atleast he believes now...he he he. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:40 am 
Emperor Penguin

"I don't like magic either, I LOVE it! Maybe after I show you this you will too...." :lol: Don't get me started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:21 am 
born to perform.

RGC3 wrote:
Well, here's the story behind that...

I was working in a market with all sorts of vendors, people, pets, etc. This guy walks up to me after a trick and says "Hey are you a magician? I don't like magic." And he was just standing there, as well as I, looking like two fools having a staring contest. I had to do something...so I said "Well, think of it as E.S.P. then." "Okay, sure, show me something." Blah blah blah......I showed him an effect with a simple key card method and boom, he liked magic. (Actually, he was tricked into believing it was E.S.P., :twisted: )

So, the guy was somewhat of a thick person. Atleast he believes now...he he he. 8)

Well that's one person. What do you do with the other tons of people who say they don't like magic? Surely you don't do some of the other advice you gave? And you said this happens at a convention or show? You have done professional shows and someone tried to ruin the show that way? That's weird. Or at conventions?

Possibly they don't like your magic. Maybe the person is saying this to make some bigger point. I have friends who like that I do magic, but who used to get annoyed with me for running around showing them tricks all the time. About a year and a half ago I stoped showing friends tricks like that, unless they ask or I am working a formal show. The trouble was, I was annoying and not that good then. Now that the supply is down, the demand for my magic has risen (with some.)

You say you were working at a market. Were you busking, or were you just showing people tricks? Were you showing strangers tricks. Did you pass a hat? If you are busking, this type of situation would be weird and pretty rare. This is a person deliberately trying to mess up everything and standing too close to make you comfortable. This is one situations where some mild humor would help. But if he just walked up and said, "I don't like magic," and then stands there, why stare him down? Just start a trick and pretend that he wants to see it. The ESP line won't work most of the time, because you will find that many people who are nervous about magic, are nervous because they fear it is real (occult), and ESP would make it more likely to convince them of that.