View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When you got that one kid.....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:22 am 
Penguin

When doing a school show and you got that one kid that just won't shut up. This is what I did.

say "I notice you have had a lot to say throughout my performance so I have a trick just for you. Have you ever taken a piece of string and put a cup on each end and talked through it like a telephone? Well we are going to do that today, but without the cups.."

Grab a big spool of string.

"Now..hold the end up to one ear, now begin backing up.. that's right..down the stairs.. keep going.. your doing great.. "

Still unwinding spool of string...

" keep going.. down the isle through the audience...that's right.. were going to do this from a bit aways.. so keep going... yes.. to the back of the auditorium..that's right.. now.. go through those doors back there.. you got it.. (Yell) Keep going."

Now the kids out of sight..he has left the auditorium.. now grab a pair of scissors and cut the string.. and say "Great we finally got rid of him now we can go on with the show"

And just keep going.

(He will come back in after a while and won't say another word)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:23 am 
born to perform.

Thats great. That is HILARIOUS :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:59 pm 
Penguin

That Hilary Duff avatar is so fine.

(drool)

We need her and Lindsay Lohan to do a movie together. Just though's two. Now let your sick twisted imagination run wild..........(sorry)

Post subject: Re: When you got that one kid.....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:58 pm 
born to perform.

necromancer wrote:
When doing a school show and you got that one kid that just won't shut up. This is what I did.

say "I notice you have had a lot to say throughout my performance so I have a trick just for you. Have you ever taken a piece of string and put a cup on each end and talked through it like a telephone? Well we are going to do that today, but without the cups.."

"Now..hold the end up to one ear, now begin backing up.. that's right..down the stairs.. keep going.. your doing great.. "

" keep going.. down the isle through the audience...that's right.. were going to do this from a bit aways.. so keep going... yes.. to the back of the auditorium..that's right.. now.. go through those doors back there.. you got it.. (Yell) Keep going."

Now the kids out of sight..he has left the auditorium.. now grab a pair of scissors and cut the string.. and say "Great we finally got rid of him now we can go on with the show"

And just keep going.

Sounds funny. You should actually try it sometime, see if it works. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

i love the string idea but seriously if someone trys to figure out ur trick i usually hand them the things ur doing the tricks with (if it is not a gimmick) and tell them to try it.. usually that confuses them enough to where they dont know wut do to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

mwnewman wrote:
i love the string idea but seriously if someone trys to figure out ur trick i usually hand them the things ur doing the tricks with (if it is not a gimmick) and tell them to try it.. usually that confuses them enough to where they dont know wut do to

You can do what ever you want when you show magic to friends, but it usually not a good idea to hand out your stuff with the instruction to try it. Besides, turning your show into a boring "here I will do a trick and then lets pass the cards around to see else can do it", it teaches the spectators that they are part of the entertainment, in fact, on an equal basis as you. What's to stop them from trying to look at everything you have, when ever they want?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:22 am 
Penguin

chrisrkline wrote:

Sounds funny. You should actually try it sometime, see if it works. :D

That's what I'm saying, that's what I did when I was working a school show circuit. Worked great everytime. I didn't do it every show, just in extreme cases. But when I did, it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:50 pm 
Penguin

chrisrkline wrote:
You can do what ever you want when you show magic to friends, but it usually not a good idea to hand out your stuff with the instruction to try it.

He didn't say to give them instructions :) If you get a heckler who says he knows how you did a trick, and the trick didn't involve any gimmicks (just a normal deck of cards, say)... just hand them the deck and tell them to do it.

You're not giving away any secrets, and I guarantee you they won't be able to do the trick even if they do know how it's done (because I hope another magician wouldn't be so disrespectful).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:09 pm 

When you hand someone a prop and say "Ok, you try," you're giving that instruction. Being a magician means you do magic. It doesn't mean you go by any guidelines, just that you can do some magic trick. They aren't always respectful. I occasionally hand out my cards, but not often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:15 pm 
Penguin

Yes my example is not so much for hecklers, it's for that one kid that is just so wired up he's disruptive and after several other attempts, this is what I do. It does work.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of handing my stuff over to a heckler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

craydrygu wrote:
chrisrkline wrote:
You can do what ever you want when you show magic to friends, but it usually not a good idea to hand out your stuff with the instruction to try it.

He didn't say to give them instructions :) If you get a heckler who says he knows how you did a trick, and the trick didn't involve any gimmicks (just a normal deck of cards, say)... just hand them the deck and tell them to do it.

You're not giving away any secrets, and I guarantee you they won't be able to do the trick even if they do know how it's done (because I hope another magician wouldn't be so disrespectful).

I meant do not give out your cards to a heckler and ask them to do the trick. Don't do this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:48 pm 
Penguin

necromancer wrote:

And just keep going.

that is hilarious. ill try that sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:13 pm 
Penguin

I dont have any hecklers in my performances all that much, performing in school I get to know who wants to enjoy my stuff and who wants the attention. I do get some occasionly, as does every one else. What I do is I tell them to get lost, or in extreme cases when they dont want to get lost, I make em. Some times, the crowed will tell that person to shut up, or you tell them that you wont finish the trick until that one person leaves, they will certaintly make sure hes gone. Try not to do somthing like hurting them or insulting them unless they really mess things up for you.

Post subject: adf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:50 pm 
Penguin

When I deal with people in school, I tend not to be "the magician" (even though I am, "the magician"). I did a fairly simple "do-I-do" trick, just because someone handed me a deck of cards and said, "Do something." A few people knew it (my fault, as I fell victim to the "Too Perfect Theory"). I talked to them like a person and just told them that it was actually a much more complicated method. For the instance, it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:17 am 
Penguin

Keep in mind this advice is really for school shows, meaning your standing in front of several hundred kids. It's not recommended when your just doing some "tricks" for the kids in the hall.