View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sdfg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:00 pm 
Penguin

i usually have a bunch of decks so when they go to reach for it i drop it and they think they made me drop it and they feel like crap, it always works for me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:55 pm 
Penguin

depends... if it doesnt matter.. let them inspect..

i hate trick decks, in my opinion. it sort of spoils the challenge and it really doesnt make you feel good because the deck isnt real. you dun do any sleights, usually. people will know that you only use trick decks and not much of potential..

if you're using trick decks , then if they want to inspect.. you're screwed.

if you did a setup or something, they notice it. you simply say, you dirty hands spoiled my deck. pay me a new deck

Post subject: d
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:57 pm 
born to perform.

i like the one where you drop it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:18 am 
Penguin

One time I was peforming in a bar and I meet a whole table of HECKLERS. Bless their puny little minds.HA! .

I was doing Cardtoon(one on my faves ) and one of them just grabbed the deck out of my hands and ran around the room showing everyone the deck. Later as I was leaving I saw her again but in this time in the back of a police car!!! The bartender gave me my deck back and all was well.

blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:10 pm 
Penguin

^LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:04 pm 
born to perform.

harriii wrote:
One time I was peforming in a bar and I meet a whole table of HECKLERS. Bless their puny little minds.HA! .

I was doing Cardtoon(one on my faves ) and one of them just grabbed the deck out of my hands and ran around the room showing everyone the deck. Later as I was leaving I saw her again but in this time in the back of a police car!!! The bartender gave me my deck back and all was well.

blah

OH! Sweet Revenge! LOL
Anyways, as several have mentioned, be in control of your audience. You have to make it so they wouldn't want to touch the deck(don't threaten them though :lol: ) When I have someone reach for the deck, I do one of two things.
1. I put the cards away and walk off.
2. I'll say "Hey! This is show and tell, not show and touch."(good for kids and adults) Sometimes, I'll give them a blank deck and tell them to shuffle them :P

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:11 pm 
born to perform.

if its a girl say, if you tuch the deck, you will have to merry me!

idk........just pull it away from them and say "no"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:39 pm 
Penguin

If you have the voice / yell to make it work, bark at them once or twice. Then explain that in your past life you were a guard dog or something of the sort. Can scare some kids, makes adults laugh, completely messes with drunk idiots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:35 am 
Penguin

You could just say, these are mine, buy one, there not expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:52 pm 
Penguin

tell them to go in the restroom to wash their hands first,when they do so run somewhere else and hide :lol:

Post subject: let them
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:02 am 
born to perform.

Most of the magic I perform can be inspected, but I never let them. No matter what, heres the thing, if they want to check the deck, you're doing the trick wrong. No offense. I often offer people the deck, and they simply do not want it. Sometimes you get grabby spectators and you cant do anything about that, right? WRONG!! You should be able to spot a troublesome spectator, if you're table hopping you could simply be on the other side of the table, (Great advice I got from Mike Close). And if you have to be a foot away from a troublesome person, only perform inspectable magic for them.

Post subject: Re: let them
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:33 am 
born to perform.

magicdude84 wrote:
Most of the magic I perform can be inspected, but I never let them. No matter what, heres the thing, if they want to check the deck, you're doing the trick wrong. No offense. I often offer people the deck, and they simply do not want it. Sometimes you get grabby spectators and you cant do anything about that, right? WRONG!! You should be able to spot a troublesome spectator, if you're table hopping you could simply be on the other side of the table, (Great advice I got from Mike Close). And if you have to be a foot away from a troublesome person, only perform inspectable magic for them.

I agree with most of this, but would like to add a few points.

The more you perform, the better you will handle your spectators. Grabby spectators are annoying, but tend to show up when you break the barrier between you and the audience. This is more likely to happen when you are new and performing for a group of kids at school or your place of work, or if you are just someone who starts doing magic on the street for the heck of it. You are just part of the crowd. They can interrupt you; they can mess with your stuff, etc. You are one of them. You can do some fantastic magic when you break down the barriers between you and the crowd, but it comes with a price. However, when you are the “hired” magician, or you are doing a show on the street and you look like a "pro", you are less likely to see this "gabbiness." It still can happen, though. It is difficult to teach someone how to handle bad spectators, but some of the advice given is fine. Experience is the best teacher.

It is often said, though, that a magician who has a spectator who wants to look at his or her cards or props is a magician who has to improve their presentation. In other words, it is the magicians fault. Although I agree that presentational skill will help your handling of the really bad spectators, and you should try to stop the grabby spectators, I think in general, if you have spectators who do not want to look at your props, it may be a sign that you need to improve your presentation.

If you do a snap change and people do not want to look at the card, then you did a crappy job. They may be too polite to say anything, and there are ways to convince the spectators that you are using real cards which may keep them from grabbing, but they should want to touch and examine the source of the magic. That does not mean that you want to get into the habit of handing out the cards on a whim, but people will want to look. I like to do tricks that the spectators can handle if they want. I don't like handing things out just because they ask, but for many card tricks the cards end up on the table and can be examined. The specs seldom do, but they could.

For an effect like Invisible deck, I will usually do this separate from other card effects. Since they see a fanned out deck with one face up card, and because they can pull out the reversed card, I rarely have to deal with the spectator who says, "Let me see the cards!" Why would they? It is a mental magic effect. All I do is show a reversed card. The magic is not in the cards, but in my ability to predict their choice. If I do Fechter's That's It, they see the selected card put on the table (along with several others) and then it ends up in my hand. They always want to look at the pile of discarded cards to see if I have a dupe there. They just saw me put it there. If they don't want to look, then they are probably trying to get away from my boring presentation.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:34 am 
born to perform.

I agree with everything that chrisrkline said. But in my defense or just to clarify, when I said that people do not want to examine things in my act, I wasnt refering to snap changes or switching out a gimmick coin. I would also like to say that I no longer use my invisible deck simply because there are other ways to reverse a card in the deck. I prefer Michael Close's Invisble deck routine. It's cleaner, over the years I have replaced most of my close up gimmicks with sleight of hand. If you can do the trick without a gimmick but may require months of work, it's worth it.