View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:22 am 
born to perform.

pyrobob wrote:
Spiritkrusher wrote:
pyrobob wrote:
"If you watch the deck, the magic won't happen."
that is all I can tink of right off the top of my head.

haha, ya man that one is pretty bad :P
dude, its called sarcasm.

sure.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

Asking a spectator to shuffle the deck is quite effective because they will always look at their own hands. The disadvantage, of course, is you are left without a deck, and the spectator is probably messing up the order of the cards too.

Sometimes it works though. I was doing a trick where a card ends up reversed (I already had it reversed in the deck) and I got caught. So I said, "Oops," turned the card around and gave them half the deck to shuffle. While they were shuffling, I took the card and re-reversed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:45 pm 
born to perform.

Performing is not just about the effect. It is about building a rappor with your audience.

If you find that people are staring at your hands, despite your usual patter, then get them envolved in a conversation. Talk to them, get to know them- ask them things whilst you are performing, but look into their eyes, and other members of your audience. Make them feel involved.

Your audience won't only be entertained by your magic, but by you as well. Your personality and charisma can add so much to your effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:55 pm 
born to perform.

First of all, this type of misdirection has to be contextual. That means that it has to fit the context. There are two basic types of misdirection here, one where you want the person to look somewhere else. You should only use this when you are not supposed to be doing anything, or at the very least not anything important, such as when you are shuffling or cutting cards before the trick is supposed to believe.

The other type is when you are doing something, you want the spec to watch, but would prefer that the person not watch too closely. A DL is like this, or any kind of count. If you are trying to get people to look away on a DL or count, you need to practice more. For this, one suggestion is to talk to the person or ask questions, not so much to make them look away but to break their extreme focus. When I do Think, Touch, Turn I am telling the person to watch closely. I still chit chat, and will keep my hands moving, but I darn well better have the moves down cold, or not do it.

Also be careful about just stopping an effect in order to ask about someone's hometown, or to say something about his or her eyes. Laypeople understand misdirection, and any out of context, effect stopping, comments like, "Hey look over there," are easy for laypeople to spot.