View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I botched Red Hot Mama but saved it...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:57 am 
Penguin

Red Hot Mama is one of my all-time favorite card tricks and I managed to botch it totally the last time I performed it. I was performing for just a small group of people in a very informal setting, which was good. I had done several tricks with my red deck and then got out the blue deck to do Red Hot Mama.

Before the performance, I had set the deck up to perform RHM, but neglected to realize that there was a double backed card in the deck from a previous performance. But that's not what messed it up.

I explained that I had a blue deck for a special reason, and began to shuffle the deck. I was using a Hindu shuffle to keep the setup in place, but accidentally flashed the red card while shuffling. It had never happened before this. I saw the flash but hoped they hadn't noticed and told them that I needed someone to pick a card from the deck. One of the specs immediately and smugly exclaimed, "it wouldn't happen to be that red card, would it"?

Man, oh man, I was embarrassed, but tried not to show it. I had no clue what to do now, but being a good actor, I didn't break character at all. I certainly wasn't going to go on with the trick now that they had already seen the red card. It was completely ruined.

I just began to make things up on the spot, saying that we indeed needed the red card and pulled it out of the deck. It was at this time that I noticed that I had left the double backed card in the deck from a prior performance and culled it to the top to get rid of it when the answer came to me for how to save the trick.

I said that the red card had special powers in the blue deck and told one of the other specs to follow my directions carefully. I told them to put the red card under the top card. They did so, and then I flipped over the top card, showing that it was the red card! I did this a few more times and the illusion fairly impressed everyone. I basically just used the red card to do Ambitious Card Routine. It turned out alright and saved my butt.

It was nowhere near as good as what Red Hot Mama would have been, but it sufficiently saved the performance. It's a good thing I can think on the spot really well or I would have looked like a total fool. I'm sure that they suspected a little something as I did stumble about just a bit, but it was still successful overall.

I'm going to be extra careful with that Hindu shuffle from now on to make sure I don't grab the cards too close to the red one so that this excellent trick is never again ruined. I just thought you all might like to hear a story of how a totally botched trick was somewhat saved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:32 pm 

I thought you were supposed to flash the red card for RHM? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:46 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I thought you were supposed to flash the red card for RHM? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

same here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:54 pm 
born to perform.

No, not for the selection. You spread the blue deck and have a card selected. The card is returned and as you fan through the deck, you show there is one card that is red. That red card is turned over and it is the selection. There is another phase, that can vary, but involves a second selection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:55 pm 

Ok. I thought you "accidentally" flashed the red card and then had them guess what it was. That way you can show them that they're right. From there you do the Between the Palms handling with the 2 cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:36 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
Ok. I thought you "accidentally" flashed the red card and then had them guess what it was. That way you can show them that they're right. From there you do the Between the Palms handling with the 2 cards.

Well, no, don't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:38 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:

Well, no, don't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:21 pm 
Penguin

No, what I did was I truly accidentally flashed the red card while doing a Hindu shuffle, attempting to keep the setup cards on the bottom. I accidentally pulled off too many cards from not being careful enough and they spotted it before it was supposed to be seen.

Luckily, or unluckily, I had the double backed card still in the deck and went into ACR with it using the red card and they were stumped. Sadly, it wasn't nearly as good as the Red Hot Mama would have been but it saved my butt from the humiliation of admitting I had botched it.