View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi magicman. Show me some magic!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:08 am 
Penguin

What do you do when you are with relaxing with friends or even in deep conversation, and one enters the room _instructing_ ..."Hey magicman, show me a trick!" ? The attention can initally be great, but it wears off.

They all have seem me perform and know about my magic, so there's no need to impress. The others have the look of "we don't want to see magic now".

I find this very annoying, and I can't refuse. Without being rude, I've said things like:

- "Sure, for a price." (This just gets a laugh)
- "Later, I'm busy." (They just keep insisting)

or I'll just do a old quick gag, like separating my index finger, but by that time I am performing, which is not what I want to do when relaxing and chillin'.

What are some suggestions of controlling these type of 'fans'?

Post subject: Re: Hi magicman. Show me some magic!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:17 am 
born to perform.

spadesy wrote:
What do you do when you are with relaxing with friends or even in deep conversation, and one enters the room _instructing_ ..."Hey magicman, show me a trick!" ? The attention can initally be great, but it wears off.

They all have seem me perform and know about my magic, so there's no need to impress. The others have the look of "we don't want to see magic now".

I find this very annoying, and I can't refuse. Without being rude, I've said things like:

- "Sure, for a price." (This just gets a laugh)
- "Later, I'm busy." (They just keep insisting)

or I'll just do a old quick gag, like separating my index finger, but by that time I am performing, which is not what I want to do when relaxing and chillin'.

What are some suggestions of controlling these type of 'fans'?

For this trick, I need an ordinary pizza..

Pepperoni.

And a two liter of coke.

Ooooh.. don't have that? Hmm..well, way I see it, we have two choices.. you can buy it for me.. or no trick.

(This is to my friends only.. they are usually laughing by that point)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:40 pm 
Penguin

I love it when this happenes actually, maybe I'm a little strange. But when this happenes to me I do a trick or two and that's enough to keep them happy. Unless they are really into it; which is wonderful, one or two quick things work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:05 pm 
Penguin

That's good one with the pizza, got to try that. :)

Some other comments I make are:

- "Sure, but can't you see we are doing something?" in a stern voice

or some other way to point out that magic is a more of a job...

- "Ok, as soon as you work at your job for me."

or

- "Lucky I'm not a exotic dancer."

Note: only for friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:11 pm 
born to perform.

spadesy wrote:
That's good one with the pizza, got to try that. :)

Some other comments I make are:

- "Sure, but can't you see we are doing something?" in a stern voice

or some other way to point out that magic is a more of a job...

- "Ok, as soon as you work at your job for me."

or

- "Lucky I'm not a exotic dancer."

Note: only for friends.

Oh, by the by.. since one friend of mine did actually buy me a pizza... I told him I'd show him TWO tricks. First, I did a few card tricks.. and then second, I made his pizza disappear ;) The second trick took longer and required a few assistants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:18 pm 
Penguin

I suppose a few appetites would have helped in a slow pizza vanish. LOL

Seriously though, my point is that we magicians are expected to bring there jobs with them. Would you just ask a mechanic friend.."Hi mechanic friend, can you fix my car .... NOW!"? I think they would look at you and say, "I finished an all-day shift, so no thanks"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

you are not a machine that works on command. They might be your friends, but that doesn't mean you have to perform for them every time they insist on you doing so. Just say "I don't feel like it....can't we just hang out?" If they still insist after that...maybe it's time to find friends who really care about how you feel and what YOU want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:30 pm 
Penguin

Well when it happens to me and it is a person I know I ask them to perform their day job first. Because I want to see wha they do for a living.

Vonbodan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:43 pm 
Penguin

That is exactly my point. We are not machines, and the majority of friends know that and, quite frankly, are not interested in seeing magic all the time, trust me!

It's just that one friend that just gets too excited because he totally enjoyed previous performances..that they feel that they can ask for more.

Sometime I can appreiciate the peace of others who have no idea that I'm a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

I totally agree with all of the above.

I prefer the kind of magic that is totally impromptu or seemingly impromptu. Instead of telling people that I'm going to show them a trick, I just like to do something at random like pull a pencil out of my nose. I find that this kind of magic is better because no-one is paying real attention so I don't have to do any strong misdirection. That's why I hate it when people tell me to do a trick because all the attention is on me.

The only thing that is more annoying is when someone says "Hey, do the one where...". That's pretty much the same as repeating a trick because everyone knows what is going to happen.

I guess one way to get around it is to know a few impromptu tricks and know them like the back of your hand, so you can perform them flawlessly. Then, perform those few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:42 pm 
Penguin

"Hey, do the one where..." is a common request for the 2 card monte. When I do decide to do it again for the new spectator, I find that they feel they are on the magician's side, so to speak in being fooled, and the old specator actually repeats after me to the new spectator "So where is the card, huh?", to which I ask "Who's doing the show here?" and "Didn't I ask you not to say anything?". Overall, they are entertained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:06 pm 
born to perform.

To solve this situation, say no.

If they insist, say no followed by a few curse words.

If they insist, attack them.

==========================
Everything above this line is complete and utter bullisth.

OK for the real advice:

I'd just do some impromptu magic for them..

But if you don't feel like doing magic, use these lines:

YOU: "Think of a number between one and ten."
SPEC: "OK..."
YOU: "What was it?"
SPEC: "Four."
YOU: "Wrong!!!" (attack them at this point)

Y: May I borrow a bill?
S: OK... (gives bill)
Y: (transfer, ditch, take pen from pocket) I'll stab the bill.
S: NOOOOO!!!
Y: (stick pen in hand, open hand) Look, it disappeared!
S: Ok cool, gimme my bill back.
Y: (stab with pen)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:22 pm 
Penguin

This thread is roasting today.

I think you should never agree or refuse to perform when someone begs for a tricks each time you see them, as this only increases the effect when you build up to a routine.

If you were in a deep conversation with a friend (could be a girl ;] ), then as a friend you can tell them where to go, but as a magician there is a responsiblity - regardless of how rude they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:31 pm 
Sure, For this trick I will need you to lend me a hand, Your hand.... Now cut it off and give it to me... NOW!!!

If they agree, then you are in real trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:03 am 
Penguin

The truly great magician is able and will perform magic at any oppurtunity. Start taking advantage of different circumstances under which to perform, don't just think 'Everyone looks tired and so am I, nobody is interested anyway - i am not a machine'
That's puffin talk - we're penguins here!
I'm not saying you should stand up and vanish a silk hanky or do a 2 card monte because if everyone isn't bothered they won't care. You'll have to think of ways to introduce different entertainment concepts. Asking for a 100 dollar bill in an off the beat manner is a good start. Lighting it up into a burning ball of edited is even better. The trick is to not start with fancy patter and verbal presentation and body language, be as laid back as everyone else (do it laying on the sofa) and have more of a 'The thing is i don't understand this one myself...' attitude, that will arouse more interest.

I posted a nice routine here but some spotty teenagers deleted it