View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AHHHHHH!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:57 am 
Penguin

has this happened to anyone?

I was preforming with a TT and making some peoples money dissapear and stuff for one of my classes, and i guess this kid knows what a TT is from past expiriences, so when i dtched the tip into my pocket, he said " hey take out everything in you pocket!"so i put on the tip(while in my pocket),pulled out the silk and tried to hide my tip behind that wierd stuff that comes out when you pull at the bottum of yourpockets, and he shouted out" LOOK AT HIS THUMB NOW!" ok WHATTHE edited people just cant stand to be entertained, im not trying to cheat them out of their freakin money, i just want to entertain them, people just suck when i t comes to this, my friend told me that his step-dad said "always watch the deck so you wont get fooled by a magician." WHY IN GODS NAME WONT THEY LET US ENTERTAINE THEM!!!! THEY DONT HAVE TO RUIN IT FOR US, EVEN IF THE DO FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:49 pm 
Penguin

Because for them it's fun, and the more you perform, the less this stuff happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:13 pm 
Penguin

Just off the top of my head, most people know that it is just tricks so they want to ruin it so they can have bragging rights, have the people around them look up to them because they caught you... that is just off the top of my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:12 pm 
Penguin

They are jealous and also they just want to be "the one who can figure out a magicians trick". Darn spectators...... :twisted:

Post subject: asdf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:22 pm 
Penguin

The reason why school is a bad environment for magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:40 pm 
born to perform.

Depeding on the audience, here is what I say when someone asks me to empty my pockets (which is rare):
"Empty my pocket? You don't want to know what I have in there. But if you really want to know...reach on in and check!"
If you're performing well and you get the heckler that asks you to empty your pocket, try using this line. Your audience will get a good laugh and the heckler will back off.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:21 pm 
Penguin

I let people know before I perform anything that I'm not going to respond to anyone's commands or questions and I ask everyone respectfully to not interrupt the performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:44 am 
Penguin

The reason people do that is because they feel like a big man or person to fool the guy that is fooling them!

The best way I have found to deal with people like this is to have a back up plan. Have another means to pull off the same effect.

For instance I had a request from a person for me to do Linking rings at their kids party for the adults. Which I said I would do. I dont know if anyone remembers the MASKED MAGICIAN who destroyed several effects on national television. But linking rings was one of those effects. I felt that it had be long enough no one would remember he exposed it. SO I did it! Well as soon as I pulled the rings out the a man in the back said I know how that is done I seen it on tv! Well I replied yes this was shown on tv before. But I do it a different way than he showed on tv! So he got quite and watched. I did the linking rings. It went over great. What made it better was the guy came up and said I remember what the guy on tv did. I watched you real close and you didnt do it the same way he did. I dont know how you did but that was real cool.

So if you know anything about linking rings then you know there is only one way to do it. But because I didnt get all worked up and nervous I made him believe he had saw me do it differently. So the point is dont get worked up and nervous go with it. Practice,practice,practice but even then it shouldnt happen alot but sometimes things go wrong. Just keep cool and keep moving along and it will work out. Good luck to you!

Vonbodan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:37 pm 
Penguin

Next time tell him you were the guy fron the T.V :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 pm 
Penguin

in darwins video, he shows a gag TT, which is a solid TT for specators just like that... he even shows sleights to ditch the thumptip if needed be.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:11 am 
Penguin

Ok. here's what I've found:

There are 3 types of people in the world. The first is people who actually beleive in magic, no explanation is necessary. These are usually young children, the ones you make a piece of paper float for, who take the paper,and try and make it float themselves for an hour

The second are people who don't beleive in magic, but enjoy it. They know it's slieght of hand, but appreciate the skill and the artistry of magic. These people enjoy a mystery, and enjoy trying to understand and work out how you did the trick. They discuss it with their friends after the show, and if they do spot it, they say "Ah!" to themselves and enjoy the rest of the show.

The third are the people who think that a magician isn't trying to entertain them, but trying to fool them. They feel stupid when they can't work out a trick, and try and turn the tables on you. These are the people who will turn cards on the table over you, grab the cards from you and shuffle them. To them, it's not entertainment, it's a challenge over who is smarter.

These people appear in all forms of entertainment. Before getting fully into magic, I worked as a stage hypnotist. People would shout out that everyone on stage were stooges, hypnotism isn't real. People who are like that will always be like that. One night, bored of a particularly nasty heckler, I brought him on stage and hypnotised him. Without going into detais Hypnotism is mostly about distracting the subject, so people trying not to be hypnotised are easier to hypnotise than a willing subject. They distract themselves by sitting there thinking "This isn't going to work".

I was working in a club, and had this guy running around the audience telling everyone I was his best buddy, that I was a genius, and trying to buy me drinks for the rest of the show.

At the end of the show, he 'woke' and the first thing he said was "Told you you couldn't do it." When he realised it was an hour later and everyone was laughing at him, he told everyone he was faking the whole thing.

I guess my point is, you'll always have hecklers. If someone doesn't show interest in seeing an effect, don't try to show it to them anyway. If you're doing a walkaround gig, do very simple magic to begin, and see which people to steer clear of.