View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nerd Magic?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:54 am 
Penguin

I perform several card effects at school, mostly because they are always in my pocket, and when I perform I have two major problems.

a) It isn't called magic but labelled as nerdy tricks by a large group of people.

b) I am frequently called a freak with cards, something which I dont mind but I have the ability to do metal bending routines as well as sponge balls, rope etc. I just choose not to do them at school because it is not the ideal place to perform those tricks. So I am not recognised as a magician merely as a card shark who no one will play poker with.

How can I change these things with subtle hints etc. during a performance?

Post subject: Re: Nerd Magic?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

JGC2003 wrote:
I perform several card effects at school, mostly because they are always in my pocket, and when I perform I have two major problems.

a) It isn't called magic but labelled as nerdy tricks by a large group of people.

b) I am frequently called a freak with cards, something which I dont mind but I have the ability to do metal bending routines as well as sponge balls, rope etc. I just choose not to do them at school because it is not the ideal place to perform those tricks. So I am not recognised as a magician merely as a card shark who no one will play poker with.

How can I change these things with subtle hints etc. during a performance?

Do magic with everyday objects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:08 pm 
Penguin

seriously Please dont take this as insulting, im trying to get a picture of the situation. are you normally popular? if not theyre always going to see you as the nerd with cards. if not and you already an ok guy and its the magic that has turned you into the nerd with cards. change the patter example: instead if all i have to do is wave over my hand and it vanashes. try hey this is strange some kid over there stole this thing right out of my hand, i didnt even see it comming it was kinda like this but im not sure. if theyre not impressed its the performance not you its the routine. years back when i was in school i had groups of kids following me for more so take it for what its worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:12 pm 
Penguin

you can do cups and balls with paper cups and wadded up papers with a pen for a wand. pracitce at home first with the stuff so youre comfortable . really do stuff with everyday things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

Dont do cards.Do themetal bending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:55 pm 
Penguin

I am the same way. All through last year, I was just a dork. Now this year, I'm the dork that can do absolutly AMAZING magic. Most people are just like "ohhh magic is so fake, its just cheating". I dont let that stop me. Sometimes in the middle of a teachers lecture, I'll turn to someone sitting next to me and show them 2 small balls of paper. I do a really quick spongeball trick and turn back around like nothing happened. I always carry a svengalli deck, a rising deck, a stripper deck, and 2 regular decks on me. I also have my PK magnet strapped on at all times. I'm always set to have someone that i hardly know come up to me and say "hey...my friend says you do magic...Impress me!". So yeah...being the nerd with the cards is the best thing thats ever happened to me! Be proud!!
~Jonton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:04 pm 
AMAZING magic doesnt leave your audience saying "ohhh magic is so fake, its just cheating." It leaves them decieved. Analyze what you do, I think that you are blinded by your own tricks...

Welcom to penguin country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:49 pm 
Penguin

Haha...thanks. When people know me as the dork that does amazing magic..they are usually telling the truth. When I perform a trick, and people are reacting, THATS when they try and convince themselves and others that magic is fake and is just cheating. But I know it leaves a lasting impression, because I'll hear other people talking about me (when they dont think im around, or dont think i can hear). It's a good feeling to have people saying nice things behind your back. Just thought I would correct you, because I think you kinda got the wrong idea. Thanks!
~Jonton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

[quote] I always carry a svengalli deck, a rising deck, a stripper deck, and 2 regular decks on me. I also have my PK magnet strapped on at all times. [/quote]

How do u carry that much on you at one time without ur pants falling off?
But seriously if ppl think that ur a cheater its ur presentation. Do tricks involving the spectator, objects in their hands and that sort of stuff, make it seem like there doing the magic. And perform it for the coolest kid in school that way when hes blown away everyone else follows along. that only works though if ur not the coolest kid in school, but if u do magic u should be

Post subject: af
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:49 pm 
Penguin

dont do tricks at school im telling you kids dont have the mind set to appreciate and when i did tricks i went through the same thing. dont worry :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:07 pm 
Penguin

Do tricks in moderation...for god sakes dont look eager. Magic should be something that people want to see. God if people would only stop asking me every day at school...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
Take a look at your 4 best friends. Do you even have 4 friends. If not, then you are probably a nerd.

20% of the population are nerds. Let's assume you have 4 friends. Are they nerds? If not, then, statistically, you are a nerd.

Then again, "birds of a feather flock together". This means that if one of your friends is a nerd, you will also be considered a nerd.

Man, it's starting to look bleak for you. My only suggestion is to find some cool friends and hope some of their coolness can rub off on you. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:09 am 
Penguin

LOL, I guess I should just go and kill myself perhaps!

I think perhaps I may as well run with the nerd magic thing if no one can think of anything. Instead of making up patter, I can just talk about the Delibrative Subjunctive in Latin! OOh!
In seriousness though, I'm thinking of moving to metalism a bit, no one at my school has the mental capactiy to figure out all the tricks behind those kinds of effects and having an extremely large cranial capacity (i.e. being a nerd) would be adventageous in these kinds of tricks. I don't know, what do people think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:02 pm 
Penguin

Make love to a virgin born on the fifth full moon from easter on her twenty-second birthday. Works like a charm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:45 am 
born to perform.

Here is what i think, your school knows you really well now and what you do and act, if you didn't start doing magic in school till now i would suggest:

1) not doing it in YOUR school, meaning the people around you didn't know you did magic so they dont believe you yet and mabe they aren't into it. I suggest taking a trip to your next town and doing magic in that school, just like walk in and get permission to get something out of your locker and then go to the lunch room and do some tricks, ((bring a buddy too) just incase something goes wron, this can be seen in Kard Klub on E, were they go to schools. They even did a great card to pocket routein and then got kicked out.

2) You aren't praticing enough, but mabe you are, i hhave seen many many posts were someone's magic hobby killed off after one real expierence in the world with magic due to them getting heckled and them mabe messing up a tad, but just enough for someon watching to be like "i know hoe its done", then they expose the trick.

I say if you want to impress people pratice more and then mabe go to a different school to do magic, i am NOT telling you to move just take a trip down to a different school mabe things should be different.

Scott Romansky