View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 pm 
born to perform.

I usually ask them if they can keep a secret. Of course, they always say "yes". I tell them "So can I." :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:34 pm 
Penguin

Wow. Didn't I write that about 40 minutes before you?

Either great minds think alike or you didn't read the entire thread before posting! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:02 pm 
born to perform.

Probably a little of both. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:12 pm 
born to perform.

I don't like being confrontational in my responses. Nor does my character come across as being haughty or self righteous. So, someone asks how do I do that, I give them a sheepish smile, shrug, and move them into the next routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:26 pm 
born to perform.

Hehe, I like the Can you keep a secret one.

I usually just say, "Magic!"

No matter what, I refuse to reveal a trick. That's the number one rule as a magician. Once you show them that it's not that difficult lots of times. They'll lose all respect for you as a magician, and just figure the trick did all the work.

I think most of the relies that can be given are great, just as long as none of them are the actual answer, I think it doesn't matter what you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:50 pm 
born to perform.

i dont really enjoy answering that question, but i say that misdirection can be used on many different levels, psychologically and physically. if i'm doing mentalism, i say that a mind can be read if put under certain circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:23 pm 

This question will get asked quite frequently, but the INTENT of the questions may differ. If you get the feeling that all the person is interested in is the secret, then an off-the-cuff remark may be appropriate.

However, that is not always the case. Sometimes people are completely amazed by the effect and are sincerely interested how (generally) you were able to accomplish something that seemed so impossible. To give an off-the-cuff remark in such a situation would belittle the spectator unnecessarily.

In these latter situations, the spectator does deserve a straightforward, frank answer without revealing the secret. There is nothing wrong with looking the spectator straight in the eyes and saying something like,

"I'm really glad you enjoyed that. You know I can 't tell you how it's done, but I've been working on that effect for quite some time. It took a lot of practice to get to this point, but I think I've almost got it. "

This way, you acknowledge the importance of the spectator's comment without making them feel foolish for asking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:55 pm 
Penguin

excelent point, a lot of magicians are quick to insult the audience after they inquire with out determining if its apropriate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:04 pm 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
"I wish I knew I myself."

Wow, not bad. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:01 am 
Penguin

I FIND THAT WITH MENTALISM AND PSYCHOKINETIC EFFECTS PEOPLE BELIEVE THERE ARE WEIRDO'S THAT CAN READ MINDSAND BEND METAL, AFTER ALL WE ONLY USE 3% OF OUR BRAINS APPARENTLY. SO I SAY, IT'S WEIRD I JUST...., WELL I OBVIOUSLY CAN'T TELL YOU BUT ITS SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN TRAINING TO DO FOR A LONG TIME, ALMOST LIKE I WAS GOING TO TELL THEM BUT STOPPED.

WITH CARD TRICKS AND CLOSE UP ITS A LOT HARDER BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE BELIEVE DEEP DOWN THAT IT IS SLEIGHT OF HAND, SO YOU HAVE TO MOVE THEM AWAY FROM THAT. SO I WILL DO A TRICK WHERE THEIR SELECTION ENDS UP SANDWICHED BETWEEN 2 CARDS TO DEMONSTRATE THAT I DONT HAVE AMAZING HANDS AND FINGERS I TRAIN MY CARDS AND THEY DO ALL THE WORK. THEN AT THE END OF THE ROUTINE IF THEY WANT TO INSPECT THE CARDS I LET THEM AS IT LEADS THEM BACK TO THE QUESTION 'HOW' BUT BY THE TIME THEY CARE TO ASK OR COMMENT YOU ARE DOWN THE ROAD OR ONTO ANOTHER GROUP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:18 pm 
Penguin

just say, "the same way I do this trick," and commence with your routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:16 am 
Penguin

What I like to do is say something that sounds correct but obviously isn't. For example I usually start out card effects by doing a colour change and I wait for someone to ask how it was done, immediately I say: "Well what happens when the molecules in the cards have been heated up by friction through tapping or squeezing, it causes a kinetic reaction resulting in a change" and then I do terry la gerould's card flick. For things such as ambitious card I once used " I pumped helium into your card so it naturally rises up to the top all by itself."

I don't know what anyone else thinks but the colour change one has saved me a few times from just sounding stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:33 pm 
Penguin

There are many good respones on this thread, and I'll be sure to use them if needed. It really depends on the environment and audience type. Spectators that responded with a compliments and applauds are what should be aimed for. Asking how it is done is not a mature response, and I go in to anti-heckler mode :).

Technically, the focus center on the performer and that is who they will remember. Even if you tell them the secret of a trick, they usually forget but it becomes part of the magician character.

Saying what the spectator is thinking at the moment of questioning actually strengthens the effect, I have found. So just answer with a question!

Spec: "Howdya do that?"
Magi: "Strange, isn't it?"
Spec: "Yeah, wow!"

Magi: "It's weird, yeah?"
Spec: "Sure is."

These usually work well with a non comic mind reading.

Another response is not to try and sell the effect after the routine has finished. Use the query to an advantage to move to the next routine, which won't be ignored because they think that the secret is more interesting than the magic.

Magi: "I'm not totally sure myself, as I'm still trying to work it out."
Spec: "You did that well. Can you teach me?"
Magi: "What I did was place the..."

This works well with sucker card routines.

Post subject: This is what i do
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:45 am 
born to perform.

I have a friend who owns a magic shop so I jokingly plug his shop. I usually say, "Now availble at your local magic shop, you too can be the life of the party!" I try to sound like I'm reading the fine print at the end of a commercial. It gets a laugh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:01 am 
Penguin

don't be arrogant, just be nice about it :D thats my tip :P