View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: wr
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:51 pm 
Penguin

Still you can not physically control kids and they dont care what other ppl think therefore they are unpredictable. But adults on the other hand have an image to up hold so they will contain themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:24 pm 
okay, if you are continously getting heckled at school, did you ever think of one possible solution... You aren't that deceptive? Think about that while I am doing what I want and performing for who I want and doing a good job of it

Post subject: as
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:19 pm 
Penguin

im not in school im in college i do street performances in austin my kid brother is in highschool though and is good and is always being heckled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:45 am 
born to perform.

I will do a trick for a edited load of kids at school, and if one of them sayshe knows how its done and stuf, everyone else just tell him to leave and shut the F#*$ up! There is nothing wrong with doing tricks at school, you just have to do it to the right people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:10 pm 
Penguin

As an eigth grader with a pretty good reputation for being a magician, I know just how hard it can be to perform for fourteen year-olds. Here are my main points:
-Only pick people who are pretty easygoing and friendly. Never pick anybody who automatically laughs a little when you ask. That's a pretty good indicator that you're going to have a tough time with the trick.
-Never pick someone who has a reputation for trying to be a tough guy in front of their friends or girlfriend. They will try and show you up.
-Pick your effects carefully. Sleight of hand is always good, and coins and rubberbands are simple. My personal rule is no gimmicks at school, because you never want your gimmick to break or be noticed. One student at my school flashed his PK magnet and Raven about four times and now nobody can use those gimmicks because they will be caught. I usually use cards, just because they're easy to carry and hard to lose.
-Finally, don't do tricks that embarrass people. This is when they will get defensive and start grabbing at your stuff. Nobody wants that.
Working at school can be a great venue, but do it with caution. It will make your life there a little easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

I am a junior in high school. I very rarely get heckled.

My advise to your kid brother is to get a little more crown control. The way it works in my school is people will ask me to do a trick, not the other way around. Also you are generalizing high school kids too much. It really depends on where you are. But because people approach me and not the other way around, the first step in the magic process of making contact is already done. And if someone in the group heckles me I just say something to the effect of "For the magic to continue it is best if everyone cooperates." Then they make fun of the heckler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:04 pm 
Penguin

At middle skool i do trix all the time best place. Pick your audience. Some are amazed others dont even notcie you did a trick it really is funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:55 pm 

I use to do magic for 30 kids at a time. At the end of every class I would be playing with my cards. It's not something to worry about. The great thing is that others want to see the stuff, so if one person gets out of line, you can just put up your cards and say that's the end. After that, the person will not want to hear all the crap from everyone else and will leave you alone.

Post subject: Re: For All You School Magicians
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:40 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
ccisdaman777 wrote:
This is a topic that will help you forever, all you kids that do illusions at school. STOP. Kids are simple minded and think they know everything at the same time so and easy way to avoid being heckled (not 100% of the time) is to do tricks to adults. Why you ask.
a) an adult will not come and just assult you( grab your deck, hand, shirt ...ect.
b) they will understand trick(99% of the time)
c) its always better the entertain someone alot older than you
d) job oportunities
e) praise
and the best reason of all
f) kids get mad

I totally dissagree.

I am a Junior at high school and known around the school as The Magic Man.

I show stuff all the time and have never had a problem with people snatching something out of my hand of extreme hecklers. If you present well and entertain the people then they will not bother you as opposed to saying "look what I can do" and then doing a trick.

I say do the magic and don't worry about the people (if you are entertaining).

Sure performing for adults is fun, but Teenagers and kids really enjoy it as well if the magic is presented in the correct way. You have to cope with the audience and not come across as a showoff. When you showoff others feel like showingoff!

Praise is good and you can get it from performing for ANYBODY!

Give your cards to teenagers who have younger brothers and sisters and they will refer you to their parents (I have had this happen many times). IT WORKS trust me!

exactly. i'm also a junior in high school and know as "the kid that does magic" and all i do it choose my audiences carefully. by now i know which people love to see it (and ask to see my new stuff everyday), which people will watch whenever, and which people do not want to see it. i've established by now that if you're going to grab at my stuff, heckle me, or do anything else stupid, then i'll just stop doing the magic for you. there are a few kids that used to piss me off and now bug me to see magic everyday and i always tell them no.

i get asked quite frequently by kids having parties to come by and do magic, and my reputation gets around to adults and the most random people just from that so it's definately a positive to get your name out among as many kids as you can.

anyways as many people have said, just be in control of your audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:14 pm 
born to perform.

most older kids (teens) will try and figure you out as i have found through experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:48 pm 
Team Penguin

in response to ^ I must say that you have to perform your magic in the form of entertainment and not a puzzle.

If you perform and entertain, they should not "want" to try and figure you out.

But if you perform tricks, or magic as a puzzle, people will always try to solve it.

This is the performance line that you must learn to step over. Become a magician and not a trickster.

An entertainer and not a puzzler.

Learn to work it out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:18 pm 
Penguin

:roll: HEy i agree with exodus If you know the people (kids) your doing magic for you can be in controle. And what magician lets a kid grab their shirt? Come on think for just a second...

ok ..

now are you people ok :?:

Thanks for takeing the first step into insanity
Magic dude :D

Post subject: The guy at the top is right
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:09 pm 
Penguin

The guy at the top is right I have performed magic at school and they all think they know everything and make up the stupidest lame excuses but when I perform for girls or kids who are a couple years younger the situation is a lot better. can some one give me I good trick to perform for
'know it alls'.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:16 pm 
Penguin

I would reccomend doing no tricks for "know it all's" why does it need to be a competition on who can out witt who?

Post subject: Re: For All You School Magicians
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:53 pm 
born to perform.

there is a kid who asked me how's the floating cup done after i showed him.I said its magic then he asked me to do it again.Im floating the cup suddenly the kid grab my hand and look at the back of the cup,luckily i tore the paper cup.Then the kid got mad and tell his mother.Then the mother yell at me and force me to expose the trick.HATE THEM BOTH :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next