View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

1=HATE---5=ok
1 45%  45%  [ 26 ]
2 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
3 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
4 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
5 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: HECKLERS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:37 pm 
Penguin

I hate hecklers with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:47 pm 
Penguin

Everybody hates hecklers. The only thing you can do about them is stay fast with your comebacks, and make a little magic with your wit.

Post subject: I dont get heckled
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:44 am 
born to perform.

I dont get heckled anymore, or at least I haven't for years. Some of my best lines have come from hecklers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:58 pm 

yahu wrote:
Everybody hates hecklers. The only thing you can do about them is stay fast with your comebacks, and make a little magic with your wit.

If you give them attention, they don't usually go away. Another thing is it makes you look like a jerk. If you're doing a strolling show, just leave. If you're doing a circle show, hit him hard then drop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:32 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know of any magician that would say he likes hecklers. However, it is fun some times when they think they caught you, call you on it, and then you totally blow them away with the end of an effect. 8)

However, you can get some preety good lines from hecklers, like magicdude said.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:33 am 
Penguin

I agree with Craig. that's why i said 2 not one. I love the feeling when you prove a heckler wrong and amaze them. feels great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:42 pm 
Penguin

they can help u improve- make it air tight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:47 am 
born to perform.

You guys are saying, "You can get some great lines from Hecklers".
... Well, like what?

This forum is called "Outs and One-liners", but for the most part it just seems like General Discussion. I could really use some "Bits of Business"

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:08 pm 
Penguin

Location: Somewhere south of anywhere and a little bit nowhere...
If you're so mad, why is your picture a smiley face?

Post subject: heckler
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:36 am 
born to perform.

sometimes hecklers can be annoying and sometimes not.when u asked them something like ''pick a card!'',''stay right there!',' concentrate' and so on.they're gonna disobey you.and when the magic is done,they gonna say'thats easy','i saw u do something'and so on.thats the annoying one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:10 am 
born to perform.

There are many different hecklers. Some are just chatting with you. That can be an annoyance, but is pretty minor. Some just need something to do. Really, if you are not engaging everyone in the crowd, then some will find something to do, and it may not be what you want them to do. You engage the crowd by talking to everyone in the crowd. Even if you are focusing on one person, you can direct some of your asides and throw away lines to various other people in the crowd. Always look them in the eye.

Then there are the jerks. These are rare, or should be rare. If you are a kid, then you will get a lot of them from people at school, at least for a while. It will become less frequent with time.

You have to handle the jerks, but you can't seem like one of them. This is hard and can take years of experience. Sometimes just ignoring them will work, sometimes not. There are some books where you can learn somethings to do--and not do. But never look flustered--never look nervous. This takes tremendous body language control.

One thing you can try if you have a really bad heckler is to simply stop and announce, that "In all the years of performing, I have never met someone so interested in talking as this person here (the heckler.) Therefore, I am going to let them talk while I watch" [You then walk into the audience, near the heckler and then say,] "You sir, please walk to the front of the audience and say everything you want to say--anything at all--while I wait here in the crowd. When you are done, I will finish the trick."

This works OK on the street.

Lets say you have a heckler to your right who won't shut up. If you happen to have a large person to your left, you can turn to the guy on the left and say as an aside (but loud enough for all to hear) "Hey, he just called you Edited (or fat, stupid, etc.)" If the heckler continues, then back away from the big guy on the left and say, " Hey, I am staying out of this." With some humor this can work too. But it has to cause the person on the left to laugh. Do not do this if the heckler is belligerent at all or if they are bigger or tougher looking than the person on the left. Do this only if the person on the left and the heckler see it as a joke. This will only work if the heckler is just persistently annoying, not if they are being aggressive.

But you better be very calm and in control and show some humor.

I have actually done both of these once. They both worked. The hecklers in both cases were jerks, but not really serious jerks, so they shut up pretty fast, in fact they laughed when I was done. I did not think up either of these, I think they both come from Gazzo. Keep in mind, though; some hecklers won't lose no matter how good you are unless you can get the audience to help. That may or may not happen when you want it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:10 pm 
Penguin

^^ i stand in awe

acctually I LOVE hecklers cant get enough of them. Wow this is a dumb poll i dont mean to be sarcastic I acctually like the challenge of showing somone up without braun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:38 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not a professional Magician. I don't get paid to do it and I've only been doing minor sleight of hand stuff that you can carry around easily for the last few years. I use it to break the ice and/or make points in personal evangelism. (It also comes in handy when kids are being unruly in the local Wal-Mart. A quick trick or two and they've forgotten about their tantrum.)

But I've found that hecklers accomplish a great thing: They draw a crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

I second the above. Hecklers are wonderful challenges to my ability to think quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:50 pm 
born to perform.

aznshadyboi1 wrote:
I second the above. Hecklers are wonderful challenges to my ability to think quick.
i agree. ths is a chance to do sucker tricks