View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 pm 
Penguin

Practice or get a new hobby, the two best ways to get rid of hecklers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:59 am 
Penguin

Lawboy wrote:
ScottRomansky wrote:
If a heckler is annoying you, hand him a regular deck and ask him/her to do the same trick. They will be speechless.

Scott Romansky

and absk2000 wrote:
A funny thing I do to make people laugh at a heckler is to get him to come up and put him sideways onto the spectators. Then perform some half-pass ludicrous cutting and say "so the entire deck's staying the same, yes?" and they'll nod or say "yes" and be laughed at by the crowd. I'll make a short video explaining what I usually do

I disagree. This has been discussed so-o-o-o many times. In my opinion to make anyone look bad with magic is poor showmanship. The magaician's job is to fool, wow and amaze - not to show that they can do something that someone else can't.

I agree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:14 am 
Penguin

All hecklers have weaknesses - if you develop a better
sense of what their weaknesses are, then it will give
you more options. Yes, there is a lot of wisdom in
ignoring the heckler - that's why a lot of pros take
this route. BUT there are pros who are masters at
dealing with hecklers- professional magicians as well
as professional comedians. Study their approaches and
develop a deeper sense of why it works for them.

Martini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:49 pm 
Penguin

lol the funniest thing i have ever done to a heckler is say
"oh your good at figuring out tricks huh?, well this one is pure magic, if you can figure this one out ill give you props"
then say "close your eyes and think of any thought you want dosnt matter how long it is just think of any phrase or memory"
then slowly walk away and cue your crowd too follow lol he'll look stupid standing there with his eyes closed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:30 am 
Penguin

hey this is xcmmagicman again. for those of you who gave me advice, thank you! and for those of you that ticked me off saying all that trash about me? well screw you! seariously! so first off, i do know how to type but the way i typed up there is just a faster way of saying it. ( too (2) ) and dam man some of you guys act like i cant do magic. alot of you guys did support me however and i would really like to say THANK YOU. i mean really, THANK YOU!!! think about it....this is for some of you low life out there. we're all magicians, arent we all looking for the same goal? to amaze and just wow people? we all want the good reactions. we all want spectators to walk away with a smile. we want them to bieleve the art. and like you guys thats what im trying to do. and hey i didnt fail the trick the guy just caught me. so how do you supporrt me? by saying a whole lot of smack and all these put downs? dam man seariously what kind of magician is that? i wouldnt ever say anything like to to one another. hey they mess up oh well life goes on. give them helpful tips and hints and theyll be ok but for the gentlemen who said get a new hobby, collect snow globes, and all that other trash? well screw you! i wanna see you put up with a heckler like i had to!! :evil: and once again for those very very nice magicians out there who were helping me out, thank you and best of luck with you and your magic. :D and earlyer i said im a nice guy and not being concited but i try my very best to be. so i aplogize to some of you folks i was saying all this trash about. but let this be a lesson, dont want me to talk like that? then keep all those bad things zipped up in your mouth and let all us magicians just get along. good bye guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:29 am 
Penguin

one word PICKPOCKET
hecklers are the best target to pick their pockets , u don't need any presentation with them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:15 am 
Penguin

just ask your fellow magicians and screw them up. its good if we can form like a sort of society dealing with hecklers involving everyone in different countries sort of like a gang but we are gang of magicians to amaze and to entertain. when the gang meet hecklers, we just screw them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:39 am 
Penguin

Quote:
el_magique says:

when there are hecklers around, don't stop doing your tricks, do a trick that uses NO GIMMICKS and NO SLEIGHTS (automatic effects) they cant ruin that kind of tricks

(except if they are math nerds (most automatic tricks are mathimatical effects) but find a math nerd hackler)

When I started out in magic, I had to learn non-self-working tricks right away, because nearly everyone in my family, who I was performing for only then, is a math genius. After seeing one of those tricks, they would immediately tell me the algorithm behind the trick.

There are definitely math nerd hecklers out there. They usually are the coolest though; even if they understand the trick, they are entertained by the math in the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:43 pm 
Penguin

In the past I've said,
"for me as a magician, Plan A is to fool you, Plan B is to make a fool OF you" If I don't succeed in Plan A, just keep it to yourself so I don't resort to Plan B"
I said it very light heartedly and it has always worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:25 pm 
Penguin

Performing for people in school is a form of street magic. I don't like any form of it at all. If you want to perform, set up an actual performance for an actual paying audience. Trust me, they behave a lot better than that guy in your school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:55 pm 
Penguin

haha thanks dude but that was 2 years ago. lol i dont know how to delete this subject off the forums but im a 10th grader in high school now and the older guys are much more respectful then the low class kids such as the middle schoolers. some are ok but most younger kids around that age...they act as if they can catch you in anything just because they think they are the "mature" people like us now when in deed they have no clue what mature means when they dont show any respect to people whos only trying to entertain them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:57 am 
born to perform.

Being a mathematician and statistician, I guess I qualify as a "Math Nerd" (though no heckler LOL). In fact I use card games, gambling, and yes, TRICKS, to illustrate to my statistics classes the concepts of probability and expectation.

Don't discount the math-based tricks entirely. Some of them are based on fairly complicated combinatorics principles, and are not always obvious to figure out on the spot.

For example, a classic trick that has been written up in journals on probability goes like this: A spectator freely choosed 5 cards at random. They are given to the magician's assistant, who knows how the system works. The magician leaves the room, and the spec takes one of the 5 cards. When the magician returns, he looks at the remaining 4 and instantly knows what card the spec took. (See, the arrangement of the 4 remaining cards codes for the denomination, and the pigeonhole principle lets you know the suit, and..... [large amount of math stuff deleted cuz this isn't stats class LOL] )

This would be excellent to use on a heckler because they won't be able to figure it out unless they know the underlying math.

Ooooh I love that word...let's say it again.....MATH :D

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 am 
Penguin

lol that was pretty funny and you know what , i totaly agree with you! yes thats very cleaver! the very last thing a heckler will think about is math and if thats what you're using in a magic trick, they will never catch you! good job sean! this is a great idea for every magician to know! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:26 pm 
born to perform.

I too have an anecdote of matemagical nerdiness. It all started innocently when I was revising for my end-of-year Statistics exam and during the breaks I would do a bit of magic to relax. I was in the middle of practising "Out Of This World" when I thought to myself, "what is the minimum number of red cards that end up in the 'red pile'/black cards in the 'black pile' to impress a statistician?". The answer turns out to be nineteen, as there is only a 5% chance of getting nineteen or more of the same colour cards in each pile. That's low enough to impress a statistician.