View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to Avoid Hecklers During Your Show:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:01 pm 
Penguin

Location: Alcatraz... Where everybody can see me, and visit me. Stop By...
Don't You Guys Just Hate Hecklers?

No, I'm not talking about hackers...
I mean hecklers people! Hecklers are those annoying people that interrupt your show and reveals secrets to the tricks that you are performing. :x They either know how the trick is done, or they already saw you before and happen to be in the middle of the crowd again... :roll:
Most of the times they are jealous, and they try to mess you up purposely or even say things like: "Why don't you let me shuffle the deck?"
I just hate that during my perfomances, so here's what I do to prevent that from happening to me:

:arrow: I don't use gimmicked decks:
I like to hand the deck to them and let them search me all they want untill I prove my point. 8)
*That includes marked decks, svengali decks, stripper decks, etc.

:arrow: I perform "sucker tricks" on them:
A Sucker Trick is a trick where the audience thinks they know how it works only to discover that the magician was a step ahead of them the whole time.
Another words... I borrow a quarter from a spectator, let them sign it with a sharpie, do a quick retention vanish and retrieve their coin from my pocket. Now, if they "think" they know how the trick was done, simply vanish it again using a different method. (Like the thumb clip, fake take, etc.) Then, make it re-appear it in your pocket.
Finally, when you hand them their signed quarter for inspections, do a fake take and re-vanish it on their hands. :twisted:
That shows them that they are wrong about the trick, and you just fooled them in the middle of the crowd. :lol:

:arrow: Also keep in mind that you have to choose your speactators wisely, and you should never repeat a trick to the same sectator. :wink:

Good Luck to You Guys. :)

Best Regards and Wishes,
AJ De Avila - (AJMagicman)
--------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

Actually, the best way to handle a heckler...

Don't perform for one!

If someone is trying to heckle you, just tell them you are trying to entertain a crowd, and if you want to try to hassle me, then you certainly don't deserve to see what I want to show these people.

After saying something like this, you'll get the whole crowd to turn on the Heckler. He'll either give it up, or leave.

-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:00 pm 
born to perform.

tonyjones102 wrote:
Actually, the best way to handle a heckler...

Don't perform for one!

If someone is trying to heckle you, just tell them you are trying to entertain a crowd, and if you want to try to hassle me, then you certainly don't deserve to see what I want to show these people.

After saying something like this, you'll get the whole crowd to turn on the Heckler. He'll either give it up, or leave.

-Tony

Or if you're 5'6", with red hair, he'll beat your [edited]. Haha.

Nah, tony's right. This si the most obvious, and best answer.

There will be occasions where this doesn't work, so if you want to take a more serious measure, the next time the heckler knows how it's done, invite him up, give him the props, and tell him if he's so anxious to help with the magic, he can perform. Once he gets up there, 99% of the time he can't do it. So you just sit back, he will see that he's been causing trouble, feel slightly embarassed, and you've shown authority over him.

This is only a more drastic step I've never had to take, so i can't tell you from my own experiences that it will work. However, some very experiences pros have told me it's one of the best things to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:05 am 
born to perform.

That was all common sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:21 am 
Penguin

Just tell him dont come to your job causing trouble.You dont go to his wifes job and jump on the bed..Then run fast :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:21 am 
Penguin

Location: Alcatraz... Where everybody can see me, and visit me. Stop By...
LocalOne wrote:
Just tell him dont come to your job causing trouble.You dont go to his wifes job and jump on the bed..Then run fast :lol:

Heheheh :mrgreen: That's a good one! :lol:
But really though... I wouldn't want my audience to feel ashamed or bad just because they were beeing a "wise guy" on my show.
I just let them know that their doing so by showing them a simple sucker trick. That will cause them to embarrass them selves instead of me having to do the job. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:01 pm 
Penguin

Just do pretty much tricks like levitation with the Invisible thread and once they say "I can do that!" Give them the thing your levitating but not the Invisible tread and watch them embrass themselves :D Or you should you the invisble tread rod where you just tuck it in your sleeve and levitate thing by choosing how much thread you want and do the same thing