View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to say when this happens?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:35 am 
Penguin

When you are displaying a trick that involves palming, example a coin, and someone says "Show me your other hand," what are you meant to do?

Once that's said, the trick has been spoiled. What do all of you do when you encounter this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:42 am 
born to perform.

Have good audience control and choose your spectators wisely. There's always little things you can use and say for little screw ups and for people that always have things to say like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:58 am 
born to perform.

Look in te out and one-liners section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:18 am 
Penguin

Do the all around vanish, put the coin into downs palm, tenkai pinch ( goshman pinch).

The list is endless. You guys need to start thinking for yourselves, instead of asking every one how to do this or how to that. I'm not trying to start a fight i'm just telling you that you need to work on things.

Brostert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:41 am 
Site Admin

That is not true brostert as that would make these forums pretty redundent. These forums are here for people to ask exactly that kind of question and so they can get decent answers from people who have experienced exactly the same kind of situation.

Cheers

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:27 am 
born to perform.

Timah's right, so here are my few answers. But first, my opinion. The only time I get annoyed when people ask what to do is when they've taken a job at a resteraunt and want to know what tricks etc....

- Do the all around vanish is good, but if you try it more then once, you'll get caught.

- Learn howto do a palm to palm (or variation) transfer

- Try and get through the palming part quickly by ditching the coin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:48 am 
Penguin

I can speak about cards...

In my experience if you have a good palming-sleight and a decent misdirection (I don't need a big misdirection because the actual palm techniques is almost invisible) no one will be suspicious.
However when someone ask me to show the hand, I quickly replace the card on the deck and show the hand empty... do not try to hide the card in the hand, this is impossible!! Otherwise (I generally do this) silence the spectator or ask him to wait the end of the trick.

It hope this help

Byz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:36 pm 
Penguin

that's never happened to me, yet. but i'm always scared it will when i palm cards, and ESP. coins.

but if it ever does happen, i'd just show them my empty hand first, and while all their attention is on that hand (which won't be for very long) i ditch the coin/card. then when they go "haha you're a funny guy.. show the other hand", you're clean! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:41 pm 
Penguin

brostert wrote:
You guys need to start thinking for yourselves, instead of asking every one how to do this or how to that. I'm not trying to start a fight i'm just telling you that you need to work on things.

A lot of us here are beginners or semi-beginners and are here to ask questions and seek advice so we can grow and learn to become better entertainers. I'm not trying to bash you and anyone else but if you are as knowledgable as you appear to be (and I'm sure you are) and you don't feel like telling someone to do the goshman pinch, or this palm or that sleight, you could at least refer them to a book or video that will give them the help they need. When you're starting out and you don't know a lot because of lack of experience it's hard to think for yourself because our minds haven't developed to think in that way yet. We also can't "work on things" as you say if we don't know what to work on in the first place. Thanks for listening and happy magic making.

Post subject: Re: What to say when this happens?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

scottsmith wrote:
When you are displaying a trick that involves palming, example a coin, and someone says "Show me your other hand," what are you meant to do?

Once that's said, the trick has been spoiled. What do all of you do when you encounter this?

Backclip the coin showing your hand empty. It'll take some practice to get it down good. But worth it.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:16 pm 
Penguin

Thanks all for your advice, I got some good ideas. Especially back clipping the coin. I know what you mean, I will need to practice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:19 pm 
Emperor Penguin

scottsmith wrote:
Thanks all for your advice, I got some good ideas. Especially back clipping the coin. I know what you mean, I will need to practice. :)

No problem. Also, check out Paul Cummin's Up In Smoke DVD. He teaches some amazing stuff with the back clip, and he will also help you out with your back clip. ;)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:06 pm 
born to perform.

goshman pinch, lap the coin if sitting down, put it into downs, lots of tsuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:31 pm 
Penguin

Check out Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. There are countless techniques for palming coins. I typically use the Downs palm.

For something needing a little less practice, but misdirection instead, is giving them a somewhat questionable look and saying "What, you dont trust me?". They will most likely look you in the eye for just a second, giving you a chance to toss the coin into the other hand. After showing the other hand empty, you can say something like "see?" or "do you believe me now?" and they will probably look at you again, giving you a chance to toss the coin back.

The all-around vanish (Gregory Wilson) is good too...
~Jonton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:15 pm 
Penguin

I mostly practice mentalism so I don't get this problem but when I do decide to do a vanish I choose who I do them for, like for instance my dad will always say what's in your other hand while my sister just stares at me and says where did the coin go. I always thought about doing a coin vanish where you drop the coin out of the hand that is supposed to be palming it obviously and then while they are looking at the coin get another one ready in your hand where it is supposed to vanish, ready to reapear tell the spectator that we will work with the one on the floor in a second and then pull the other coin out of thin air. It be pretty easy and you can even have the spectator mark it just start out with an extra coin palmed.