View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:05 am 
born to perform.

If someone figures out the effect, it may not be because you did it wrong, it could be just because its a crappy effect. I feel that IT fits into this catagory, it looks like string to me. No matter how good you are at handling it, it always looks like string to me, you may not be able to see it, but based on the way the object moves based on how your body moves its just not convincing enough for me, so I wont use it on a laymen.

I only perform what 100% completly fools me, and over the years it takes more and more, I am constantly seeking the best effect out there. I try to go after the smartest people I'll ever come acrossed, its not easy but its well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:34 am 
Team Penguin

Well...something to keep in mind there would be the "magicians tricks" and "spectator tricks" that I was talking about earlier...

Some tricks are made to fool magicians and it is proven that spectators can usually figure them out easier or they would rather not see that kind of trick at all because it is not right for them...not quite as entertaining to them as it is to the magician.

Spectator tricks are tricks that do not fool magicians easily but will slap a laymen across the face...they are usually more entertaining.

WHat I am trying to say is...sometimes the best effect really isn't the best effect. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:01 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
If you try to trick people you are only making a puzzle for them...people do not like to be tricked, but they do like to solve puzzles...which is why they would shout out how they think the trick works! However, people do like to be entertained. Once you entertain them, they should care less about how you do what as long as they are having a good time.

Awesome advice. This is especially good with minor effects. I recently performed the "folding dollar" trick for a friend of mine, just as "a wierd origami trick" (I know that I included the word trick, but I introduced it as if I was showing him something, not fooling him). I drew it out (at one point he almost thought that I forgot how to do it), but the reaction was quite good for such a minor miracle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:14 pm 
Team Penguin

I am glad that you found my advice awesome, and to see that you understand what i am talking about. Once it has happened in a real world situation it is easy to see how much hecklers have been easily minimized. You just have to learn how to step over the line of tricking and into the side of entertaining. Good Job!