View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Show us a trick!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:26 pm 
Penguin

I know you all keep saying that “you’re not anyone’s trick monkey” or “you don’t just perform on demand”, but when people ask for another trick (or tell you to do another trick :x ) how can you say no? And how do you say it politely?

PS I also know I should have searched for this first but the site and search engine are a little alien to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:43 pm 

If you don't want too, just tell them no. I don't usually mind performing.

Post subject: I know i should have said
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:45 pm 
Penguin

Not trying to start an argument here, but a simple "no" just won't do.

I should have pointed out I do the magic at high school and for my relatives, both of these groups (as I'm sure we all know!) are extremely persistant.

Thanks for the advice though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:27 am 
born to perform.

You could always just perform something. If you dont like being expected to perform, than dont be an entertainer, it comes with the territory......... it just does, either learn to like it, or get out of the entertainment business

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:37 am 

Tell them you will later. I've done it plenty of times and I had the same type of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:53 pm 
born to perform.

magicdude84 wrote:
... If you dont like being expected to perform, than dont be an entertainer...

I have to disagree. If you bumped into Penn and Teller on the sidewalk and asked to see a trick, they probably would say no. If you don't want to perform for them, just say no. Be persistent if they don't take no for an answer. You have to be persistent when performing to students, friends and family. For example they want to see that trick "Just once more".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:11 am 
born to perform.

DWmagic wrote:
magicdude84 wrote:
... If you dont like being expected to perform, than dont be an entertainer...

I have to disagree. If you bumped into Penn and Teller on the sidewalk and asked to see a trick, they probably would say no. If you don't want to perform for them, just say no. Be persistent if they don't take no for an answer. You have to be persistent when performing to students, friends and family. For example they want to see that trick "Just once more".

Acually I've heard Penn and Teller explain in interviews that they do usually carry something around with them to perform but I do understand your point. It's one thing if you're busy, people understand, but it kind of comes with the territory, and besides I enjoy performing. Sometimes being stopped by someone on the street can be the highlight of my day.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:17 pm 
Penguin

What I do is tell them to think of a number between 1-100. Once they thought of one tell them to look up at the sky. 99.9% they do look up then when they do run away as fast as you can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:03 am 
Penguin

Never say no, but don't show that you will perform a trick right away if you are not inclined or ready to do so. You have worked so hard to establish a repuation as a magician that this "responsiblity" is yours that noone else around has.

When someone insists on a trick, I interpret that as they really want to be _entertained_. This is really a good thing when friends are eager to what they are doing and watch, although it is not the same when they are busy or in a hurry.

The only suggestion is to show tricks that are not so short. Tell a joke, extend patter and amusement where the entertainment is not focussed on any magic, and you will see that your friends will like you for you, not your tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:23 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
Tell them you will later. I've done it plenty of times and I had the same type of people.

yea but i have this one guy at work and i told him i was goin to show him later and he kept on bugging me about it until i finally showed him...and then he wanted to see more! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:51 pm 
born to perform.

That is precisely the reason why I never, EVER leave home without a TT. Be it a coin or a silk or a bill or something...with a TT, you can always produce or vanish something on demand.

I usually keep Killer Key and/or Hopping Halfs on me, as well. But I have several TTs. One is always on me and I've got one in the car, in my desk drawer at the office...everywhere I go a TT is close by. That way, I can answer with, "okay...but just a quick one and I've gotta go." Or, while you're saying no, prepare to do a trick as you are departing.