View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how to deal with nosy spectators??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:22 pm 
Penguin

what is a good response for someone who says "let me see that" for example, if you are doing the 5 and 1 transpo... just for example... you finish the transposition and the person is amazed and everything and they say, let me see the $1 bill. or for any trick that requires a gaff that doesnt leave you very clean at the end, the two dollar window.. someone says let me see that... i feel awkward not letting them see what they want to see or saying no to them because i feel like it takes away from the "magic" aspect and kinda lets them in that you have some kind of tom foolery going on.... whats a good way out of this situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:26 pm 

Learn to switch them out. A simple Shuttle Pass will usually do. I rarely let anything be examined, unless it's misdirection for something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm 

The short answer to a very complicated issue is - audience control. If you are doing card effects, do several effects with a completely ungimmicked deck. Let the spectators handle the cards. In fact, invite them to do so.

This helps to lower their guard. Once that has been done, perform a deck switch, but DON'T go into the gimmicked trick right away. Leave the gimmicked deck on the table, without paying any attention to it. Go on and perform some other non-card effect.

This is known as time misdirection. To the spectator, it will seem as if you are using the same deck they handled previously. Because they handled it previously, there won't be any need to examine it. Just go on with your gimmicked card trick and then put the deck away.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:34 pm 
Penguin

Doing a switch works, but is not the best.

The reason they are asking to see the deck is because YOU are giving them an opportunity to see the deck. This should be telling you that your patter is not working, your character is weak, or you have a slow piece in your show.

If you are doing your job, the audience should constantly be enjoying themselves and be intellectually stimulated. If this is happening, they won't ask to examine anything.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:27 pm 

Good answer Andrew. As you can see, there are many different approaches and solutions to this problem. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if it can be adequately answered in a discussion forum like this since none of us has had the benefit of seeing you perform.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:55 pm 
Penguin

yea i think you guys are right. some misdirection and a quick switch out of the gimick would be a good idea so that before they have a chance to say lemme see that you already have the switch done rite? if im doing close up stuff i never get anyone asking me to see anything because of the constant flow of effects, but i was asking, if your gonna just do one or 2 tricks just to practise performing them like at a mall or something also, another question i had was once your done with your trick or couple of trricks or whatever, do u just say ... "ok thats all bye" and walk away..lol or something? what are some things you guys do or say when you leave your spectators?

PS thanks for the advise on the last post guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 am 
Penguin

find yourself a good finisher, and let them know before hand that its teh end, i personnaly tell them at the beginning that ive been working on a great new fniale, adn then when it coems to them remind them about it, then do it and theyknow its teh end before youve even got to teh end.

or you could just say "thank you, goodbye/goodnight/whatever"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:01 am 
Penguin

Make sure you dont keep staring at the gimmick (if there is one). Look calm and relaxed and then they wont say "lemme see that". And learn crowd control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:20 am 
born to perform.

I try to structure my routines and performing style so that no one will even think about asking me to see things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:49 pm 
Penguin

If I have a gaff i always bring something thats exactly like it then i switch them for example.... killer key .... people want to examine them so i just switch them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:47 am 
Penguin

if you do a routine with 5 tricks, make the first three totaly examinable tricks and tell them to examine it. then the next two or just the last one make it the trick that is not examinable, but since you let them see everything else before they allready trust you enough not to want to see the gimmik and inspect it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:01 am 
born to perform.

Its been said in the above post but I thought I'll put my two cents in. I also structure my routines so my first few are either non-gimmicked, impromtu stuffs. cards or non-cards. use time misdirection, switch in the gimmick, do some other effects like, coins or keys or something. and end with the gimmick effect. A good finisher I think is still fadeout. I really like that as a finish.