View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: close encounters
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:04 pm 
Penguin

i was showing a friend 'quick trick' and when i finished, he was like "oh, some guy did that and told me how to do it at the hospital" i got pissed off, i wanted to know who he was and show him a few quick tricks of my own... what do you think of people like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:50 pm 
born to perform.

I think they cheapen magic. but they will always be there so we just have to deal with them. and try to help people understand you dont need to know how magic is done. its only magic when its a mystery to people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:28 am 

I perform effects for people that know the trick behind it, and it still blows them away. It's just something you have to get use to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I perform effects for people that know the trick behind it, and it still blows them away. It's just something you have to get use to.

ur probably realy good and can blow him with a nother trick right after the one he knows, but it is harder if ur not that experianced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:33 pm 

You're right. I am very good. I'm also really cocky and conceited, but I can't remember why. The point is to practice to the point that you can fool people that know the method. I perform for magicians a lot and fool them all the time. That's the advantage to knowing a lot of stuff. The more you know, the better you can improv magic. I know many ways to accomplish the same tricks because I want to be able to perform for people that have seen it before, if I have/want too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:54 pm 
born to perform.

I performed equal, unequal ropes for 30 scouts last week and half way through the trick someone shouted out: I know how you did that, I've seen it before. i felt like slapping him :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:16 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
You're right. I am very good. I'm also really cocky and conceited, but I can't remember why.

this one was funny :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:37 pm 
Penguin

exodus ur cool. loL! but hey if the guy said he knows how u do ur trick first understand that specs are wrong on this many times. they may be thinking of a different thing. so dont panic when they say that. they probably seen somehting similar. in that case do a set up routine, it works for me. but if they can explain how i do it and if they are right... id just say "aww cmon i dont need a narrator" or i would just simply deny it "no ... but u could do it that way as well, sharp thinking i like it!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:48 am 
Penguin

here is a true storry

i was doing a mini show for some people in the park
i did a bunch of tricks, started with something realy strong, got them in the magical atmosphere, and in the middle i thaught i would do a little mentalism type thing, i did a trick using the verry old principle of spotting the bottom card, pick a card, put it back on top now cut the deck, you know what im talkin about,
i took the deck and said something like:"if i were to spread trough the cards and find yours would that be impresive"(while saying this i spread trough and spoted his card), and she awnsered yes
i then said"lets not eve use the cards (give deck back to her) just look in my eyes", and i named her card, the reactions were huge.
anyway at the end of my routine a guy watching came and talked to me, he said he knew a trick too but it wasnt verry good, and he explained it to me, and it was this verry trick. i ofcourse replied with:"no i dont do stuff that simple"
certain aspects you need to get down, like with this trick in particluar, i empashized the folowing:
take ANY card, made it very clear it was a free choice
cover the whole card with youre palm so i cant see the front or the back of it
i went like 10 feet away, turner around, and told her to look at it then(no way i could have seen it)
put it back on top and cut the deck ANYWERE a few times

by realy putting a possible explentaion in their head, that they might be marked on the back, ot that you might have spoted it when she looked at it, but making it absolutley clear that you couldnt have done this it sets their mind away from the actual method and makes for a true mystery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:09 pm 
Penguin

Show him something he doesn't know. Or, do a variation on the trick that he might not recognize. It's always good to know a couple ways to do a trick.... like triumph for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:13 pm 
born to perform.

well also once you get more experienced you will learn how to turn disasters into your best successes. i've seen exodus have a guy guess how the color changing knives is done, and then he turned it into one of the best performances of that routine i've ever seen, and the spec who guessed was sure his earlier guess was wrong (even though he was actually right). thats more fun to watch than anything also.