View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:44 pm 
born to perform.

vwind wrote:

When I talked to him after, he tells me that he reads books and watches teaching videos just for fun, just so that he knows how all tricks work. :\

I hate people like that, That's why people have to stop Uploading Magic videos and books on torrents and youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 pm 
Penguin

"I don't know how he did it, but there's something fishy going on that let him *insert small summary of effect here*". I hear this one all the time from the... ahem... less educated folk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm 
Team Penguin

LingLing1337 wrote:
"I don't know how he did it, but there's something fishy going on that let him *insert small summary of effect here*". I hear this one all the time from the... ahem... less educated folk.

I hear, "I know how you did that."

"Oh really? How is it done then?"

"Well, I can't explain it, but I know how you did it."

If your patter is good enough however, you should easily cover this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:59 am 
Penguin

There was a heckler once (kid about 14 years old) that, after every trick, would say "G.AY!" or "THAT'S SO GA.Y I KNOW HOW IT'S DONE". The audience took care of that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

Ahhh the witty quips of 14 year olds...aren't they so great?

I had someone ask me where the string was when I did a Hot Shot Cut today.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 pm 
born to perform.

thats halarious that literally made me laugh!!! -so what did you say?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:07 pm 
born to perform.

shteig613 wrote:
thats halarious that literally made me laugh!!! -so what did you say?!

The other 3 people watching just kind of stared at him until he said "Oh, no string." It was humorous.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:05 am 
born to perform.

I don't know if that's so absurd. I rather like it when flourishes reach the point that they don't really seem possible without cheating. It suggests that if THAT is possible without taking a 'short-cut', maybe some of your other stuff is real too... See 'arrow split' by Paul Harris. I think one of the reasons it is so effective is that it is very easy to believe on one level that you are actually doing it.

So it can be a healthy border for some ambiguity... Personally I'm not sure I would have outright denied using thread :-) More fun to skirt around it in a suspicious way that leaves them wondering what they saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 am 
born to perform.

Manic_B wrote:
I don't know if that's so absurd. I rather like it when flourishes reach the point that they don't really seem possible without cheating. It suggests that if THAT is possible without taking a 'short-cut', maybe some of your other stuff is real too... See 'arrow split' by Paul Harris. I think one of the reasons it is so effective is that it is very easy to believe on one level that you are actually doing it.

So it can be a healthy border for some ambiguity... Personally I'm not sure I would have outright denied using thread :-) More fun to skirt around it in a suspicious way that leaves them wondering what they saw.

I can understand what you mean. I have done Erdnase Color Changes on the bus. Just for practice, and the reaction I get is.." Those are magic cards right?" So on the one hand it is a sort of compliment, that they feel there is no way outside of a gimmick. You are so good at the sleights, that it does not look like it could be done purely with sleights.

I do disagree about letting them believe that the answer is a Hidden invisible thread though. Tamariz says that not only should our handling hide the method, but it should also hide anything that could possibly be a method even if it's not.

If all we do is hide the method, their reaction will be.." I do not know how it was done." and it becomes a simply puzzle. We are not puzzle makers.

When we hide not just the actual method...but any possible method... then their reaction becomes. "I do not know how it could possibly be done." THEN it becomes magic.

The way Darwin Ortiz puts it is.. there is a difference between them thinking..." I am not smart enough to figure out how he did it" and...

"Even someone 10 times as smart as i am, could not possibly figure out a way to do it, since it cannot be done."

I will admit, I am not there yet, all the time, But I do feel that it's a worthy goal. Don't leave them with a puzzle to figure out, leave them with a Miracle and they will not even try to figure it out. As far as they are concerned the aura you produce should be.." This is magic...there's nothing to figure out."

So in my mind the more outlandish and unrealistic and fantastic the explanation they try to offer, the better. In my mind..them "explaining" Prof's Nightmare by saying..." Elastic Ropes with Velcro tips" even after they examined all the ropes, is exactly the same as saying.." Wow, ... magic." because that is what they are saying.

" There is no rational explanation, so since I do not wish to admit I do not have a rational explanation, I will offer an irrational one."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:49 am 
Team Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:
Manic_B wrote:

I can understand what you mean. I have done Erdnase Color Changes on the bus. Just for practice, and the reaction I get is.." Those are magic cards right?" So on the one hand it is a sort of compliment, that they feel there is no way outside of a gimmick. You are so good at the sleights, that it does not look like it could be done purely with sleights.

I do disagree about letting them believe that the answer is a Hidden invisible thread though. Tamariz says that not only should our handling hide the method, but it should also hide anything that could possibly be a method even if it's not.

If all we do is hide the method, their reaction will be.." I do not know how it was done." and it becomes a simply puzzle. We are not puzzle makers.

When we hide not just the actual method...but any possible method... then their reaction becomes. "I do not know how it could possibly be done." THEN it becomes magic.

The way Darwin Ortiz puts it is.. there is a difference between them thinking..." I am not smart enough to figure out how he did it" and...

"Even someone 10 times as smart as i am, could not possibly figure out a way to do it, since it cannot be done."

I will admit, I am not there yet, all the time, But I do feel that it's a worthy goal. Don't leave them with a puzzle to figure out, leave them with a Miracle and they will not even try to figure it out. As far as they are concerned the aura you produce should be.." This is magic...there's nothing to figure out."

So in my mind the more outlandish and unrealistic and fantastic the explanation they try to offer, the better. In my mind..them "explaining" Prof's Nightmare by saying..." Elastic Ropes with Velcro tips" even after they examined all the ropes, is exactly the same as saying.." Wow, ... magic." because that is what they are saying.

" There is no rational explanation, so since I do not wish to admit I do not have a rational explanation, I will offer an irrational one."

You should write Strong Magic Volume 2. :lol:

But yeah, I totally agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 am 
born to perform.

lol... I love How Darwin Ortiz writes, sorry, but I can really dig Darwin :P. Personally i wish he would write Strong magic 2... and 3... and 4... lol... He has a lifelong fan here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:22 am 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
He great and i like his moostashhh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:02 am 
born to perform.

I did a Braue popup in my ACR and somebody thought I had magnets in my deck. Same for my ID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:05 am 
born to perform.

Fred531 wrote:
I did a Braue popup in my ACR and somebody thought I had magnets in my deck. Same for my ID.

Stick the deck to a fridge and say "You're right!"

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:14 am 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
Fred531 wrote:

Stick the deck to a fridge and say "You're right!"

-JT

But I'm not that magical!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next