View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:09 pm 
Team Penguin

Oh, and a story...

Well, I was doing this trick, and I have a lot of friends who are really into my magic and they won't take any explanation for an answer, and so they generally dispell anything that anyone said by coming up with theorys as to how it CAN'T be done.

But I was one time performing magic for these people, and I was doing a "legitimate mind reading trick". (To give you some backround, I always make sure they know it is a trick and "it won't fool them" beforehand, and when it does, they always find it twice as good; and so this was kinda one of those things like "I don't generally try this, but I want to try this thing I was reading about where I legitimatly read your mind. No trick to it.")

But when I did, I had the three cards placed and someone thinks of one. Then after that they mixed them up as much as they like when I was turned around, someone decided to switch the cards. Now, due to the method I use, I know the one they are thinking of before they mix them (regardless of the fact that they don't write it down, it is a free choice, and they don't tell anyone. Oh, and I never look at the cards once they have thought of one. 100% foolproof) so I knew it. But they switched the card for one in their pocket.

They said, "There is NO way you can know which one it is." with a big smirck on his face. I, with my back still turned, said "Only because you put it in your pocket..."

He said, "You were peeking. I know you saw that."

So I did the trick three more times and he eventually said, "It is in the way I mix them up! You are hypnotizing me into mixing them like that!"

So I did it twice more for other people.

He persisted his theory.
(He was dead serious too...)

Regardless, after I got tired of doing it (9 or 10 times) he was satisfied that I was hypnotising him.

I got a LOT of credit that day and now everyone around the school (and by everyone, I mean 90% of the people) think I am a hypnotist; magician; kid who sticks pens up his nose.

My friends always generally dispell peoples theories.

Thanks for reading! Sorry if that was hard to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That is good, but you should never get into a long battle with an audience member. This just wastes a lot of time, and the more you repeat an effect the more it detracts from the magic, regardless of how foolproof it is. It turns into a challenge of magician vs the audience, and the magician never actually wins. Good audience management goes a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:40 am 
Penguin

sirbrad wrote:
That is good, but you should never get into a long battle with an audience member. This just wastes a lot of time, and the more you repeat an effect the more it detracts from the magic, regardless of how foolproof it is. It turns into a challenge of magician vs the audience, and the magician never actually wins. Good audience management goes a long way.

I would completely agree with you on two conditions:

A) If he performed the routine the exact same way every time and

B) If he was playing the part of magician instead of hypnotist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 am 
Emperor Penguin

He was doing "magic" but he claims it was perceived as hypnosis. Usually great presentation takes care of itself, and allows no time for challenges unless they are planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:05 am 
Penguin

I did a Dan&Dave Goat change and people thought I had a gimmicked deck with rubber bands in it. After I walked away with my magic friends, we had a GREAT laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 pm 
born to perform.

chrisjoe67 wrote:
I did a Dan&Dave Goat change and people thought I had a gimmicked deck with rubber bands in it. After I walked away with my magic friends, we had a GREAT laugh.

That's not that weird. It seems like a plausible explanation in a spectators mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:31 pm 
Penguin

evanbishop wrote:
chrisjoe67 wrote:

That's not that weird. It seems like a plausible explanation in a spectators mind.

Nah. We just thought it was way to complex for the way we were handling the cards. That's why we laughed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 pm 
Penguin

These are some of the worst that I have just gotten lately:

Misled (Pencil through dollar bill)-- "He's using scotch tape!"

Vanishing Bandanna-- "He hid it [the bananna] up his sleeve"-- and yes, she was serious, and I guess after she though on it awhile, she said I dropped it on the floor (as if nobody would notice that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:22 am 
Penguin

kraynik wrote:
I was doing the coin roll during class because i was bored and got like 5 peoples attention directed toward my hand. Some kid said it's gotta be a magnetic coin so i borrowed his and did it.

Another time i was doing a silk and TT routine. I blew on my hand and then showed the silk to be gone and my teacher said that i slipped the hanky into my mouth and swallowed it as i blew. I decided to mess with her and said "That's exactly right! How'd you know?" Then i opend my mouth, put my hand in, and pulled out the silk!
LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:28 am 
Penguin

Manic_B wrote:
Well he knows it's a trick coin, which to be honest for bite-out coin is all you need to know. Does it matter HOW a piece is connected?
If you perform this properly with a borrowed quarter, a trick coin shouldn't even come to mind to the specs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 am 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
Oh, and about the heckler- him and I have always been friends, so I didn't like making the class and teacher angry at him. Eventually, he got the message and knocked it off. This Friday, I actually used him as a stooge, and it went over awesome- obviously nobody suspected him since he's usually a heckler.
:) And you're pretty much never going to hear a peep out of him again, now you've let him in on one trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:25 am 
born to perform.

macgyver5111 wrote:
Manic_B wrote:
Well he knows it's a trick coin, which to be honest for bite-out coin is all you need to know. Does it matter HOW a piece is connected?
If you perform this properly with a borrowed quarter, a trick coin shouldn't even come to mind to the specs.

If I may be so bold: if you think that, you are only fooling yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:43 am 
Penguin

Well, perhaps I worded it too strongly, but it's clear they did something wrong. If you borrow a coin, bite and hand it back, they might suspect a trick coin, but they'll have a hard time tracing where exactly it came from and went to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:13 am 
born to perform.

The thing is, though, that knowing that it uses a trick coin is all the lay-person cares about: only the magician will want to know the exact workings.

Either "Pure Effect" or "Absolute Magic" (I forget which) has a few pages devoted to the "Cigarette Thru Coin" trick and touches on the very issue that spectators know full well that at some point in the trick you switched a genuine coin for one with a hole in, and afterwards you switched it back. The way Derren Brown suggests dealing with it is to actually hand the gimmick out for inspection (I'm omitting details here) and in taking it back, emphasise that you are not switching it for another coin. Then you go into the trick as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:39 pm 
Penguin

Wild Levitation: you tied your shoes together, stepped out of one, then went on your tip-toes. (How would i walk?) Also for Wild Lev: you stepped half-way out of your shoe. (What???)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next