View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: please help me!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:47 pm 
Penguin

ok there is this guy at my church and i preform and he always grabs or says let me see that deck and he always follows me. Any advise

also there is this guy at karate and with him i just need to find a good trick but hes kinda semi heckler and he knows like all my tricks pls help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
First off, i would suggest you to learn how to control your audience. If this church guy is really a pain in the butt, just STOP performing for him and any other people at Church. Second, for this Karate guy, why are you performing magic when your supposed to be "excercing"(sp?)... But if you must perform at Karate or Church, then i suggest you learn some more impromptu card tricks, or coin tricks like scotch and soda. But honestly, i would stop performing for these "lower class" people and start street stuff or shows, because some people dont understand the art of ENTERTAINMENT and want to learn how its done..

Honestly,
-MagicMan135

P.S. hope i could help..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:17 pm 
Penguin

thank you very much and most of the time i am waiting for my class i sempie two classes and do one class but htere are 7 clases and i am only doing three so the rest i like to do stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:22 pm 
Penguin

I agree about the Church guy, just don't perform around him. He'll get the hint, and if others get mad because you stop, he will really get the hint. As far as Karate, which tricks do you do that the guy knows? We need to know what direction to point you in, but need to know what you know already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:29 pm 
Penguin

dinger136 wrote:
I agree about the Church guy, just don't perform around him. He'll get the hint, and if others get mad because you stop, he will really get the hint. As far as Karate, which tricks do you do that the guy knows? We need to know what direction to point you in, but need to know what you know already.
sponge balls hot rod stelth pen cups and balls nicles to dimes (sp?) card tricks of all types and magic coloring book vanishing crayons ( onte some of these i have not shown himn) but the only thing with the trick is something under $25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:21 pm 
Penguin

A couple of ideas.

Freewill is an excellent, mental trick, I could not find it on penguin or in the SOC so here is a link. Moderators, if penguin does indeed sell it please modify the link to the Penguin's page, I could not myself find it.
http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php? ... s_id=13450

Also, another interesting effect that has me fooled, I havn't bought it, but love watching it demonstrated. It is called The Invisible Zone. You can get it from the above link as well, or most other stores. Here is a link with a picture.
http://www.daytonamagic.com/General%20Magic/G60.htm
Again, if Penguin does sell this product, please change the link to reflect it.

Just a few ideas for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with most of the other guys. Don't perform around those types of people. Try to avoid them and stick to the people who enjoy watching magic, not heckling it. He'll get the hint when everybody hates him. :wink:

-B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:30 am 
Penguin

ATTENTION PLEASE!
its always good to perform against a heckler , jst not with a large audience. performing for a heckler is a good experience, u learn how to deal with tricky situations and learn how to give commands and also bring up the rythm of ur routines. but hey the worst thing that could happen is him finding out how u do ur tricks.

always having a 'worst' situation gives u the edge to perform for ppl since u already experienced the pressure. i would advise ppl to learn to dealt with these ppl. if u want to be great,ask the heckler to pick a card... and sign it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:24 pm 
born to perform.

I think one of the best kinds of magic is where the spectator only knows they're watching a trick when the effect has been done, e.g. Cap in Bottle. With the right presentation the spectator only realises that they've seen a magic trick once the cap is in that bottle. If the audience knows you're performing a magic trick before you begin, they'll watch and heckle (if they're the heckling type).

Your aim in general is to get as many steps ahead of the audience as you can before they realise it. Example: Queens Out of Control. You know that you're watching a trick, but the magician is already a number of steps ahead from the beginning, by some of the cards already having weird coloured backs. If you can't get that step ahead as easily, that's where misdirection comes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:31 pm 
Penguin

880330145789 wrote:
ATTENTION PLEASE!
its always good to perform against a heckler , jst not with a large audience. performing for a heckler is a good experience, u learn how to deal with tricky situations and learn how to give commands and also bring up the rythm of ur routines. but hey the worst thing that could happen is him finding out how u do ur tricks.

always having a 'worst' situation gives u the edge to perform for ppl since u already experienced the pressure. I would advise ppl to learn to dealt with these ppl. if u want to be great,ask the heckler to pick a card... and sign it.

I would have to say you are wrong, you shouldn't want to perform for ea heckler. Magic isn't about you vs. them, and if you are dealing with a Heckler he will make it that way. It is about entertaining those who want to entertain, not showing who has the bigger set. You will always run into hecklers, the skill is to learn to pick them out before they start in on you so that you are prepared to down play them by playing up to the good spectators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:13 pm 
Penguin

dinger136 wrote:
880330145789 wrote:
ATTENTION PLEASE!

always having a 'worst' situation gives u the edge to perform for ppl since u already experienced the pressure. I would advise ppl to learn to dealt with these ppl. if u want to be great,ask the heckler to pick a card... and sign it.

I would have to say you are wrong, you shouldn't want to perform for ea heckler. Magic isn't about you vs. them, and if you are dealing with a Heckler he will make it that way. It is about entertaining those who want to entertain, not showing who has the bigger set. You will always run into hecklers, the skill is to learn to pick them out before they start in on you so that you are prepared to down play them by playing up to the good spectators.

theres no avoiding hecklers... how are u going to choose ur specs when u dont know how they respond yet. im saying this to encourage ppl to take this as a learning experience. i also didint say anything about going against them but ofcourse u must know how to handle them to a certain extent. with the correct method u can get a heckler to play along. but sometimes its good to avoid hecklers. im just saying that there aint anything wrong with performing for hecklers. it lures u out of ur comfort zone and challanges u to act fast , think fast .who knows? one day u might just stumble upon a heckler and fail an illusion in front of specs just because u'd never face that situation b4. its a fact and im sure that everyone agrees that there are many hecklers around us . im not saying the extremely passive hecklers but u know what i mean. there's no avoiding. if u want to perform, perform the best u can.

Also there's a difference between hecklers and haters. hecklers main objectives are just to know ur trick becaue mayb he feels that he is being made a fool of. haters on the other hand just hate what ur doing because he/she is jealous or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:27 pm 
Penguin

I don't want to get into a big debate on this issue, but I am sure if you ask any world class magician how they deal with Hecklers they will say they avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:59 pm 
Penguin

hecklers are ppl too. some ppl just have trouble expressing their amazement and interest because of fear from feeling stupid. always give them a chance . i know i try to. and comon, its hard to tell how that person reacts. but there are always ways to handle hecklers

EX: u want to do a card change, and lets say u place the card on his palm without wanting him to peek at the card, just simply tell him that u want to test his memory and he can only see it once.
(simple and effective)

just an example of how to bring the hecklers focus on something else. but yea avoiding them are good but there are some times where its unavoidable. when that happens take it as a learning experiance. thats really my whole point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:42 pm 
born to perform.

I'd say that there is more than one type of heckler. You have your jokey heckler, who just wants to see how on the ball you are, but doesn't want to sabbotage you. Then you get your spiteful heckler who, probably out of jealousy, will closely investigate you and your moves and aim to make you fail.

The jokey heckler will make comments like "What's in the other hand then?" but not in a serious tone, and he won't go any further than that. You can easily either ignore it or make a small joke regarding the comment. Your other kind of heckler would say something more like, "Okay, stop right there... Stop! Hold still. Okay, what's in your hand right now (they point to it). Don't try and pretend you don't have something in there. (they begin touching your hand and eventually try to pry your fingers open). There! I knew it! He's got another coin hidden in there! (he walks away or steps back with the content that he has ruined you).

Both hecklers have pointed out to the audience your shenanigans, but in different ways. Therefore you need to treat them in different ways.

If you suspect one of the people in your audience is a heckler (the bad kind), an option is to start off with a few joke tricks, like the one where you hold up your index fingers on both hands, slap your hands together and simultaneously put one index finger down and put up the middle finger on the opposite hand. The effect is a finger jumps from one hand to the other. It's obvious how it's done but it's entertaining nonetheless. If you get someone saying it's not that great and goes into describing how you did the trick, leave it there. Move on to another crowd.

If you've called a spectator from a crowd to help out, and they're deing difficult, ask for a second spectator to come forward and to help out as well. Then, slowly start transferring the jobs from teh first (difficult) spectator to the second and give the first the menial and un-much-up-able jobs, like being a table.

Okay. That's enough of my rambling for now. I hope some of this has been of use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:55 am 
Penguin

good point there. but the spiteful hecklers are the ones that u have to becareful of. u dont know waht they are going to do. thats y its always good to be prepared to face that kind of situation. good point there . thanks for sharing the info.