View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Your Look ...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:48 am 
Penguin

Hi,

Put in this topic photo of your look when you work as magician in the restaurants

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:53 am 
Penguin

I dont do restaurants, but I do do birthdays, and I have black pants and a black T, and a colourfull vest, with a matching hat ( old- schoot hat).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:31 am 

I wear a mauve tuxedo jacket, vest, tie, and tuxedo pants.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:28 am 
Penguin

The boss of the restaurant where I work say me that my look is too basic and not pretty original,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:47 am 
born to perform.

you have to base your look on your own restaurant and personality, not others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:52 am 
Penguin

You said it, Ben. Your look has to reflect your personnality. If you're performing "fun" tricks, aka sponge balls, or even doing balloon modeling, you should have a colorful outfit, and not a tudexo, for example.
Your performance is YOUR performance ,not others. Build it up in your own way.
Now, if you just want a general idea, here's my costume. I haven't started restaurant work yet, gotta get everything ready: patter, tricks, presentation... But here's my balloon modeling outfit. I think I'll be wearing that one in restaurants too (I'm starting in 4 months, when I turn 16), what do you think?
The photo isn't professionaly made at all, sorry. Actually, it's the only one I got. That's for a bit later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:28 am 
Penguin

Hey Babeth ,I'm also from Belgium.
Et je parle aussi français. Maar ik ben Vlaams.
Peut-être on sait ce contacter?

I'm a bit young so I'm dressed classy, I wouldn't even want to be dressed colorful like in costumes.
But that's just me...

Thanks
Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:19 pm 

MindFX wrote:
The boss of the restaurant where I work say me that my look is too basic and not pretty original,
Well I don't understand how he could say that. You put it in such an original wording that no one knows what you just said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:43 pm 
Penguin

I Wear a simple look of black pants, white button up shirt with collar, black shoes, and my black magic vest which has a lot of pockets.

-D. P. the Great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:30 pm 
Penguin

Be careful in a restaurant, especially a family restaurant with too much black. Black on black may be the standard "magician" theme but in my experience it scares the children. And anyone else who may think that you're wearing all black because you're a dark or negative person.

Especially with families, white and bright colors are going to get a warmer reaction than black on black.

Also, freaky goatee's or other "freak" things like pony tails are only going to hold you back in restaurant work. You'll get a warmer reception if you look like the manager of the restaurant.

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:19 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
CoinDevil wrote:
Be careful in a restaurant, especially a family restaurant with too much black. Black on black may be the standard "magician" theme but in my experience it scares the children. And anyone else who may think that you're wearing all black because you're a dark or negative person.

Especially with families, white and bright colors are going to get a warmer reaction than black on black.

Also, freaky goatee's or other "freak" things like pony tails are only going to hold you back in restaurant work. You'll get a warmer reception if you look like the manager of the restaurant.

Hope that helps!
What if the restaurant has (colorful) t-shirts. Would it be OK to wear their t-shirts? If not what kind of clothes do I need to where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:17 pm 
Penguin

If the t-shirt suits your style, wear it.

But add something else like a weird hat or a big button that lets them know you're the magician.

Otherwise people are going to be asking you to get them extra silverware, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm 

I really have a question about even asking this topic. It would seem that if one saw a restaurant magician while he was working you would know what he wears. Therefore you wouldn't need to ask "what to wear."

If you have never seen a restaurant magician working, why in the h ell do you want to try to be one. Do you have any idea of the amount of work that this occupation entails? Do you realize that we put in a good 40 hours a week rehearsing and practicing? That is in addition to the 20 hours of bookwork (accounting) per week, plus another 10 to 15 hours of selling our shows to other restaurants and other venues. Do you even have any idea that you don't take holidays, vacation days, sick days, or even a day off without a loss of income. Plus if you don't show up you can be replaced by someone who will work for tips alone?

This is a tough business. It is not a play time, you have to be EXCELLENT all the time, not just good, but excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:50 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
paddy wrote:
I really have a question about even asking this topic. It would seem that if one saw a restaurant magician while he was working you would know what he wears. Therefore you wouldn't need to ask "what to wear."

If you have never seen a restaurant magician working, why in the h ell do you want to try to be one. Do you have any idea of the amount of work that this occupation entails? Do you realize that we put in a good 40 hours a week rehearsing and practicing? That is in addition to the 20 hours of bookwork (accounting) per week, plus another 10 to 15 hours of selling our shows to other restaurants and other venues. Do you even have any idea that you don't take holidays, vacation days, sick days, or even a day off without a loss of income. Plus if you don't show up you can be replaced by someone who will work for tips alone?

This is a tough business. It is not a play time, you have to be EXCELLENT all the time, not just good, but excellent.
I am willing to give it my all. :lol: No really I know that it will take a lot of time and need a dvd or book that will help me with restaurant magic. I was thinking live at the jailhouse and maybe one that you recommend(You as anyone that has EXPERIENCE).Paddy and Coindevil might be the only two I trust right now. (I REALLY like dvds)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:58 pm 
born to perform.

it all depends on your showmanship, you can wear all blacxk, just talk and act really animated and cheerful and you wont scare kids