View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: people who wont participate
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 pm 
Penguin

I was doing a trick yesterday, i do it all the time and this happens, its a mind reading trick that i made up. i get to a point where i tell the person "okay, i want you to think of your card, specifically the color" and then the suit then the value. if i say "your card is black correct?" some people will smerk and say "maybe" or "you tell me". what should i do in a situation like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 pm 
Penguin

just say "please participate properly in this trick or im afraid ill have to stop". if the audience are enjoying the trick they will moan at the guy who will then get embaressed and continue or if the audience moan at you for saying you'll leave just say "don't moan at me he's the guy who spoiled it"
(point to the guy who is ruining you're trick) then the audience will moan at him

hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:31 pm 
Penguin

thank you very much, thats a great idea.

people please keep them comming, just in case that one does not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:42 am 
Penguin

i would just keep going on with the trick, if he doesnt want to say yes or no just almost ignore him or build off of that. so if he said ''maybe'' or ''you tell me'' you could say something like, ''yup i can tell by that twinkle in your eye'' and just keep going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:22 am 
Penguin

Mrmagicandyman wrote:
just say "please participate properly in this trick or im afraid ill have to stop". if the audience are enjoying the trick they will moan at the guy who will then get embaressed and continue or if the audience moan at you for saying you'll leave just say "don't moan at me he's the guy who spoiled it"
(point to the guy who is ruining you're trick) then the audience will moan at him

hope this helps!

Not sure that's the best idea, shaming or putting spectators in an awkward position is never a good thing. Also making light of the situation is probably better than "please participate properly or i'll stop", 'cause if they call your bluff on that one you're going to look a tad foolish. I personally would just say something along the lines of the good old fashioned "OK, let your mind go completely blank... that was quick" but obviously slightly modified for the situation. If you actually know his card is black, then maybe say "I just did, I only wanted confirmation" as it dimisses his smart-alec comment in a polite way

But really I guess it's up to you if you want to take the spectator seriously or joke along with him/her

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:17 pm 
Penguin

I would stick with "please answer truthfully with yes or no" say it before you ask the question and say it again if they fail to do so. Don't be an a-hole...just make it simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:24 pm 
Penguin

Fandango wrote:
Mrmagicandyman wrote:

hope this helps!

Not sure that's the best idea, shaming or putting spectators in an awkward position is never a good thing. Also making light of the situation is probably better than "please participate properly or i'll stop", 'cause if they call your bluff on that one you're going to look a tad foolish. I personally would just say something along the lines of the good old fashioned "OK, let your mind go completely blank... that was quick" but obviously slightly modified for the situation. If you actually know his card is black, then maybe say "I just did, I only wanted confirmation" as it dimisses his smart-alec comment in a polite way

But really I guess it's up to you if you want to take the spectator seriously or joke along with him/her

I agree. Putting your spectators in shame, harrasment, or embarrasment will just make you the same as him/her. Going along with their joke works for me I earn respect and popularity doing that. Hope that helps! :D

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm 
born to perform.

When performing mentalism, I always begin by setting up the atmosphere of 'conducting a mutual experiment,' and emphasize that the process is a two-way street. What they send is as important as what I receive.

I point out that if they take an attitude of 'challenging me,' they create a mental block from the sending end, preventing me from receiving.

If they deliberately try to mentally deceive me or throw me off the track, they will succeed.

And...some people are just NOT good senders.

Success in an experiment depends on mutual concentration, sincerety and positive rapport between BOTH of us.