View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Article on Paul Harris
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:26 pm 
Penguin

In the June edition of Magic Magazine there was an article on one of my favorite magicians Paul Harris. This article touched me in a few ways and really got me thinking. Before I tell you how I think a bit of background information on me is appropriate.

I first became interested in magic when I was 12 years old. My father and I made a trip out to Venis Beach in L.A.. While there a homeless gentleman approached us. Holding a cigarette he waved his hands and it was gone. Soon enough he brought it back. It was by far the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Quickly I was hooked. From that point on I read everything I could get my hands on. The Royal Road to Card Magic became my sleeping partner for the next year. Every chance I found I would try a trick on someone. At the same time my older had a love for magic also. About the time I was a freshman in High School David Blaine’s street magic came out. I was hooked. I researched on David Blaine, Magic, cards, anything that would give me results. Soon enough I came across three books. The Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris. When I received the first volume I did was every beginner does. I tried every trick and skipped the ones that seemed to hard Frustrated the book went onto my shelf for later reading. Years passed, I was extremely athletic playing every sport you could think of. Magic also joined the Art of Astonishment book. I would try a trick here and there, but not like I wanted to. My senior in High School I decided to take another look at the AOA. To my surprised I understood more, and I found why some of these tricks had such impact. They weren’t just “hey pick a cardâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:27 pm 
born to perform.

That's a good story. A little zen if I may say so but hey, you did only get wet.

I write down all the magical ideas I have in a notebook I have at my fingertips 24/7 - I write down patter, scripting, methods, effects, even simple one line ideas like "poem duplication". So far in one month I've filled about 1/8th of the book and created no less than 4 original routines and handlings (ready for performance), and come up with a method I think may or not be the actual method used for the trick Oddball. So I can appreciate some of how you're feeling regards self-expression. I do feel that having been a musician all my life, and specifically from the day someone said "write a piece of music" in college 6 years ago a composer, that being creative in a self-expressive manner comes easier, but it still feels awesome beyond belief.

Anyway, excellent essay, what a read! Keep writing as the feeling takes you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:02 pm 
born to perform.

Very inspiring eassy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

great essay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 am 
Penguin

Wonderful essay. I've recently come into a stage in my life where my beliefs echo many of Paul's, both in terms of magic an life in general. I'll have to try and track this article down.