View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Why does everybody think chris angel usues camera tricks?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:53 pm 
Penguin

Why does everybody think chris angel uses camera tricks? I understand if he uses an ocasional spectator he knows, but he only does that if their are audience members he dosent know. It is all about creating the illusion. Just because some kids on youtube posted videos about how chris angel uses camera tricks, dosent meen he does. Come on, he is a proffesional Illusionist. I think it is funny how people think he usus camera tricks, when their is like 20 people watching him. "Their are plants!", is what some people say. But does anybody have any HARD proof, like a leak from his organzation or anything. No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:55 pm 
Penguin

Because, he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It doesn't take much intelligence to see that he's using camera tricks. The last episode I seen (where he vanishes while driving a Lamborghini, I think) had a couple of clear camera tricks. For instance, the first effect where he transforms one car to another. Just look at the audience. It's pretty clear the audience from there was added later.

There are many instances where it's very clear that camera edits are used. To believe anything else would be deceiving oneself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
It doesn't take much intelligence to see that he's using camera tricks. The last episode I seen (where he vanishes while driving a Lamborghini, I think) had a couple of clear camera tricks. For instance, the first effect where he transforms one car to another. Just look at the audience. It's pretty clear the audience from there was added later.

There are many instances where it's very clear that camera edits are used. To believe anything else would be deceiving oneself.

The Lambo vanish was NOT a camera trick. If it was, there would have been no need to "miss" the first vanish by driving too fast. The "miss" was misdirection to allow you to see him driving through the cones and ropes he had set up. There was also a huge flash from the article that hid the car when he drove through the smoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:51 pm 
Penguin

If you look on you tube it defines his building levitation wall crawling stunt and water walking and all 3 are camera tricks. None could be done irl. In my opinion he is creating a false image of what should be expected from magicians and as such is sabotaging our business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

drzodiac wrote:
If you look on you tube it defines his building levitation wall crawling stunt and water walking and all 3 are camera tricks. None could be done irl. In my opinion he is creating a false image of what should be expected from magicians and as such is sabotaging our business.

Well there is a version of walking on water with out camera effects. Some think thats the version he used... without getting permission.
I Havent seen his wall crawl.. but if its at all like he wall walk, its probably not camera either.

He uses a mix of both.
I dont really care... his goal and job is to entertain... and thats what he does. If he feels the need to use camera effects and special cuts, then so be it. It doesnt hurt me... so why bother... if any thing it gets me more jobs.

So quit your aurguing and fighting.. and drop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:08 pm 
born to perform.

To be honest Magicians will do anything, such like "camera tricks" to entertain people it's just what we do. I know its kinda seems bad but he just uses it to entertain the "non-magicians" or the "magicians" who ever watches his TV show.

I dont think its bad, but I would like to see less camera tricks but Magicians do what they have to do entertain people.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:59 pm 
Penguin

The point is, just use your common sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

magikrn wrote:

The Lambo vanish was NOT a camera trick. If it was, there would have been no need to "miss" the first vanish by driving too fast. The "miss" was misdirection to allow you to see him driving through the cones and ropes he had set up. There was also a huge flash from the article that hid the car when he drove through the smoke.
I agree with that. The actual Lambo vanish wasn't a camera trick. I was referring to the transformation of the Bentley turn into a Lamborghini. I think what he did was much like what David Blaine did with his high levitation. He performed one effect, that wasn't as impressive for tv, and got great reactions. But then, he filmed another version of the effect, that was much better. Then, he took the reactions from the first shooting, and edited into the second version. I hope that makes sense.

The only part I don't like about Criss using camera tricks is that he constantly states that he doesn't. I believe that crosses a line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 pm 
born to perform.

A magician fooling people with camera tricks is essentially the same as a singer performing by lip-synching.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:56 pm 
born to perform.

1. People think Angel uses camera tricks because magicians that are experienced enough to distinguish the difference KNOW he does at times use them. Some instances are questionable, and then others are not, its just something more experienced magicians can see.

2. I used to think that was kind of dumb for magicians to do camera tricks because it was an unfair advantage over other magicians, but I've come to realize we all have media thanks to the internet now, so now that I realize we all have cameras as gimmicks, its not unfair, and so I don't have a problem with camera trickery anymore.

Its stupid to use them when you don't need to do so, like with the building to building levitation, and its stupid to use them a lot, but once in awhile to do something that can't be done any other way is fine with me.

Post subject: Re: Why does everybody think chris angel usues camera tricks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:55 am 
born to perform.

QD0G wrote:
Why does everybody think chris angel uses camera tricks? I understand if he uses an ocasional spectator he knows, but he only does that if their are audience members he dosent know. It is all about creating the illusion. Just because some kids on youtube posted videos about how chris angel uses camera tricks, dosent meen he does. Come on, he is a proffesional Illusionist. I think it is funny how people think he usus camera tricks, when their is like 20 people watching him. "Their are plants!", is what some people say. But does anybody have any HARD proof, like a leak from his organzation or anything. No.
Well sorry to burst your Bubble but he dose use Camera Tricks....He dose not use them in EVERY trick he dose but more often than not there is some sort of camera cut/edit of some sort in there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:46 pm 
Penguin

My problem with camera tricks is simple....

He claims to not use them.

Angel puts up a front of being 'totally honest' with things like how he explains "yes, I'll be using lock picks in this escape" or "some of what I do is a real...some is illusion" and then claims to not use camera tricks when there have been at least 2 cases where I would say I have seen enough proof to make me believe he does use them.

I personally understand that his primary goal is to be entertaining and he does a good job of it in my opinion.

But it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when he would say something that is a flat out lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:12 am 
Emperor Penguin

badlefthook wrote:
My problem with camera tricks is simple....

He claims to not use them.

Angel puts up a front of being 'totally honest' with things like how he explains "yes, I'll be using lock picks in this escape" or "some of what I do is a real...some is illusion" and then claims to not use camera tricks when there have been at least 2 cases where I would say I have seen enough proof to make me believe he does use them.

I personally understand that his primary goal is to be entertaining and he does a good job of it in my opinion.

But it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when he would say something that is a flat out lie.

You mean like when you get caught doing a DL, do a KM move to get out of it and say "I wasn't using 2 cards". That kind of lie? We all do it, it's no big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:04 pm 
Emperor Penguin

magikrn wrote:
You mean like when you get caught doing a DL, do a KM move to get out of it and say "I wasn't using 2 cards". That kind of lie? We all do it, it's no big deal.
I get where you are coming from. One of the reasons I don't like Criss doing camera tricks, is simply because I don't like him (which has a lot to do with his last Halloween episode. Since then, I've lost basically all respect for him). If it was someone else, I probably wouldn't mind. Because for tv, magic has some exceptions. It actually has a lot of exceptions, and using the camera to ones advantage, is one of those exceptions.

I personally have no problem with David Blaine, David Copperfield, or the cast of the World's Greatest Magicians, using camera's to their advantage, and using camera tricks. I don't think most people do. But with Criss Angel, it becomes different, which it shouldn't. It's just because people don't like him, some of it for good reasons (I liked, and defended him up until his Halloween special). Others for stupid reasons, like they are jealous. So I think that has a lot to do with why people don't like his camera tricks.

I kind of went on a rant there, but you do make a great point. And I think if more people were actually truly honest with themselves, they'd have to say that the reason they don't like Criss doing camera tricks, is because they simply don't like him. Which is why I don't like him doing camera tricks. I simply don't like him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next