View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: my walk-around-routine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:46 pm 
Penguin

Hi !

I performed magic for friends, on parties and sometimes in bars, but only single tricks without a storyline combining my tricks. So I developed a little story line and a card setup which allows me to do my favourite tricks. I plan to go out on the streets with this routine. This is my routine, I describe it very shortly :

I show my cards and tell people there is something strange with my cards and if they have an explaination for this phenomenon. So I start into
1. Revolver
Of course the spectator has no explaination for my strange cards and I offer him a little funny game and I turn into
2. Ultimate Transpo
Usually the spectator is shocked and irritated and want's to know how it's done. I offer to show him how a magician does card changes, which is a perfect transition to
3. Two Card Monte
After showing this "old gambler move", I tell the spectator that I have done enough magic now and I want him to do magic by himself. This leads us to
4. Red Hot Mama
I do this trick with maximum involvement of the spectator putting the cards in his hand whenever it's possible. This is one of the easiest and best card routines ! People are shocked ! Finally I do
5. Ambitious Card

I really put emphasis on the storytelling between the tricks. This is what people gets in a good, positive mood. That makes a routine much much more than the sum of its tricks.

I want to do magic to strangers on the street. What do you think of my routine ? Is Revolver strong enough as opener ? I'm thinking of the Swami Opener as opener to my routine, because it takes 15 seconds, there is no chance that people get bored.
Usually the reactions to my tricks are great but performing on the street ist completely different than performing at a bar. Soon I will go out and test it ...

Please, tell me what you think of my routine as I know there's room for improvement ...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
You need Royal Road to Card Magic. (If you don't have it) Also I like it but do you have any routines without cards. I mean keep this routine make another with cards, money, silks, and everything. Just put a routine with less cards. I suggest Magic Mints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:45 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Burleson , Texas , stop buying every new trick and Read some bloody books
how bout some coin magic hardly anyone does any coin magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:33 am 
Penguin

I think that is a little genious idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:46 pm 
Penguin

do coin routines as well. Coins Across (Greg Wilson), Scotch & Soda, Coin Bite and Flipper Coins are may favoutite effects.
I also do a couple of mentalism effects but I strictly want to separate mentalism and "normal" magic.

On the street card magic gets the best reactions. In bars coins and especially mentalism shocks people ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:50 pm 
born to perform.

I've been thinking of making a walk around routine to do and I have 1 routine right now and I'm working on making up second one. Can you guys tell me what you think of my first routine? It goes in order, starting with number 1.

1. Blindsided
2. Biddle Trick
3. Super Sharpie

And at the end of this routine, I end with a piece of pad paper or something similar from the Super Sharpie routine and I would let the spectator who chose a number to keep this paper.

What do you think?

Last edited by google521 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:30 pm 
born to perform.

This shouldn't be your street routine, it should be your street card routine.

But I do like it. Great example of the effects flowing.

Tip: When doing ACR at the end, offer the explanation as "I guess it's just pure magic!". It will make a good finale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:45 am 

Marc, there will always be room for improvement. I don't see any hat lines in this routine. Remember hat lines are important, no make that critical to your success. Then at the end do the hat pass. The results of the hat pass tell you if you need to improve real fast.

I will say this that the first times you do this you will not make much in tips at all, but as you get more experience you will feel more comfortable and your hat lines will get better. That's when the money starts to come in. All you can do is try it.