View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Listen and Learn
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

--Not taking the Advice:

Every day on these forums and others I see great, awesome, some of the best advice being given out. Free of charge, no catches, no hooks… people just trying to help others do better.

What do they get? Many a time a slap in the face. They are disrespected in more ways than I wish to say.
We don’t have to be on here, we don’t have to try and help people. We could be out doing other stuff. But no, we take time out of every day, log onto these forums, only to be [edited] on.
Granted, sometimes the advice is taken… and it makes us feel all warm inside, to see that we helped someone find the light. Make them a better magician and person.

Just think, if it wasn’t for people like Paddy, Sluggo, Kristen, Wildheart, Exodus, Bravesaint, Ben, Kyle, Dr.Stephen Midnight, Jak, DaveV, James, Fallingblood and others. Think if these people weren’t here.

There people devote time every day to help you. They watch your videos, read your “txt messaginâ€

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:50 pm 
born to perform.

:: thunderous applause::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

cspace11 wrote:
:: thunderous applause::

Glad some one liked it. :)

Though I am afraid it will be overlooked. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:40 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
David,

You are awesome. Your recent posts have been an absolute joy to read, and I feel your pain, frustration, and annoyance. It's a shame that you had to write these essays, but on the other hand, I am thrilled that you did.

In one of your other posts, you liken our art to that of a musician, and the creepy thing is that on my way home today, I was thinking the exact same things, concerning entertainment art and it's artists vs. those just going through the motions.

I think you need to cut and paste all of your recent essays and publish them into booklet form. At the very least, you need to add them to your blog at your myspace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

jamesjay1 wrote:
David,

You are awesome. Your recent posts have been an absolute joy to read, and I feel your pain, frustration, and annoyance. It's a shame that you had to write these essays, but on the other hand, I am thrilled that you did.

In one of your other posts, you liken our art to that of a musician, and the creepy thing is that on my way home today, I was thinking the exact same things, concerning entertainment art and it's artists vs. those just going through the motions.

I think you need to cut and paste all of your recent essays and publish them into booklet form. At the very least, you need to add them to your blog at your myspace.

I appreciate the kind words my friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:35 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdlBqQAQ1A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

Thought I might say that I added a little bit on our "harshness", as that is taken the wrong way many times.

And again if you have anything to add or say... please feel free to do so.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

-DC

p.s.

Those other essays James is talking about are these::

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... p?t=130939

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... p?t=130933

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... p?t=130930

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:49 am 
Team Penguin

Thanks for the mention and consideration Dave...I just try to help by offering advice concerning things that I had to learn the hard way over the past 8 years. All of my advice is given to help keep people from making mistakes that I have or have almost made. You can either live and learn, or learn before you live. Many people question my advice...but it is true and it does work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:37 pm 
Penguin

wow amazing that's great advice I'll be sure to follow it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:47 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I actually plan on expanding on this even more, as I have left some important aspects out.

Oh and thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

This really should be stickied, or put in a more popular category. I have a lot of respect for you, David. I also find it sad that many kids on here can't handle your posts, even though you're not being harsh. They just aren't accustomed to hearing criticism. What's really pathetic is that if they can't handle someone giving them advice on an internet forum, how are they going to handle public performances, with all the problems that can occur?

While I've been a magician for a little over a year, I still have common sense, respect, and consideration. I try to make all of my posts as helpful as can be, and it really gets me miffed when people ignore it. It's their loss, really, if they don't take our words to help them improve. Also, it's always nice when you give someone advice, and they reply with a little bit more than "thanks". Something that shows they have considered what we've said, and respected our opinion.

Great essay, I really hope this ventures out of the essay section and into a place where more people will see it. Truthfully, how many of the people who are the target of this essay visit the Essays forum?

Post subject: Re: Listen and Learn
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:19 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
--Not taking the Advice:

A good example: just a while back a new poster posted an effect that he though was great. Along came another poster, and he posted his opinion… he didn’t like the effect and he basically explained why.
Well the original poster and a friend of his went off the wall. Made a big deal out of the whole thing, blowing it way out of proportion. Then a another poster, made a comment. Again the original poster and friend went nuts… calling names, starting new topics on it, arguing, bashing, and attacking the both people that simply posted their opinions.

According to the original poster and his friend, we aren’t allowed to not like his effect. We aren’t allowed opinion.

he he he

VERY GOOD essay there Dave

*claps*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:24 am 
Penguin

Well said, David!

I just wonder how many of the folks this is geared at will read this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 am 
born to perform.

that was a great essay, i enjoyed reading it alot of them i will go halfway and stop i cant believe that i went the whole way :o , your also a great writer, well i think you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:37 am 
Emperor Penguin

Very good essay. The last few essays you wrote were quite good. But like you said, I think it may be overlooked, especially by the people who need to read it. But it's a very good essay none the less.