View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:42 pm 
born to perform.

If that happens to me, like I show someone something and they're the type of person that may believe its real, then usually I will show them something else, and show them how I did it so that they know its all just trickery. I know I shouldn't ever expose magic, but its usually something thats not really magic anyway, but more like just a regular trick. Although under certain situations I think it is ok to expose magic, like if you're exposing someone that is claiming its real. I don't like that, so I don't think its very wrong to expose it then, but I don't like the magic being exposed either, so its a very disapointing situation for me lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:38 pm 
Penguin

some people are stupid... when ever i get that reaction. i just give them my evil smile and it just scares the heck out of them. it's alot of fun, just run with what people give you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm 
born to perform.

Well, im not criss angel, and i dont want this caracter to follow me, i prefer close-up magic, with a fun patter, no need to scare people, i prefer to look social and have people talk to me, and dont have them being scared of me trowing them fireballs!

Well it was so funny!
Lol this line im going to use it
"... well that's impossible, how coul'd i serve MYSELF? "
HILARIOUS!

That will make some people laugh :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:28 pm 
born to perform.

Bliztmagic wrote:
Well, im not criss angel, and i dont want this caracter to follow me, i prefer close-up magic, with a fun patter, no need to scare people, i prefer to look social and have people talk to me, and dont have them being scared of me trowing them fireballs!

Well it was so funny!
Lol this line im going to use it
"... well that's impossible, how coul'd i serve MYSELF? "
HILARIOUS!

That will make some people laugh :lol:

same here

no need to scare them, have fun and entertain them

why try to scare them, just have fun with them and make them laugh

ive had people come up to me and say that they really enjoyed my performance and it was a lot of fun (after i did a performance for them a week before)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:08 pm 
born to perform.

do another trick and "accidentaly" expose it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:11 am 
Penguin

that happend to me when i did liquid metal and the people where FREAKING out they where jahovas witneses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:38 pm 
Penguin

wow thats hilarious! where can i find that fireball? i want people to think im a wizard haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:26 pm 
Penguin

Show her the gimmick? Idk, I mean, what if she like went to the police. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:00 pm 
born to perform.

Hmmmm. For fear of sounding like Granddad of the forums, this is one really good example of the ethics in magic needing a little double checking.

This woman could have a thousand reasons for thinking the way she did - true believer, mental problems, being silly, crying for attention, the list goes on. However, not one of us will ever know why she reacted the way she did. But it is clear that she did not enjoy the magic you performed. This is one reason I am always careful who I perform for. The last thing I would want to do is encroach on someones personal beliefs system to the point where they decry me for being an evil presence on the Earth (or similar).

We as magicians have a power, a skill, it's a command over people. We play with their perceptions, we play with their view of the world as they know it. We can make the impossible happen, the unreal real and the worlds of the paranormal and everyday existance crash into each other and blur the boundaries. We as magicians can do something as simple as find a card shuffled into a deck or predict which number a specator would select, or we can do something as frighteningly impossible as make contact with the world of the dead or dip into the mind of a person we never met before and tell them intimate details about themselves. We as magicians have a responsibility to make sure that all people who witness our magic are being treatly fairly and with respect. Never as magicians should we play on insecurities or deep seeded beliefs, on psychological conditions or mental problems. Never should we find this kind of thing funny either. This woman sounds like she was deeply affected by this production of fire, deeply affected. Given that I always tell people I am a magician and that what I do has nothing to do with having psychic power and everything to do with magic and psychology I would hope I never find myself in a situation like this. However, I wonder how I would react if I did?

I would hope that I could try to calm the woman. That would be the first thing. If she ran away as she did in the story here, I would try my hardest to find out where she went to, and if it was a house maybe try calling round another day after she had plenty of time to calm down. If it was (just hypothetically speaking of course) a hopstial or care home of some kind I would try to identify the lady to the staff there and explain what happened; maybe they would be able to help here cope with it all. I would feel terrible if this happened to me, and I certainly wouldn't call her stupid or laugh at her.

I'm thinking about an book on the philosophies of magic and ethics in magic is going to be a big big part of the book. Would it be acceptable to make mention of this story as an example in the writing?

Post subject: Re: AHHHH! it's a demon possesed guy!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:38 pm 
Penguin

Bliztmagic wrote:
Hum, that's quite the worst reaction i got from an old ladie who belive at 100% the existence of god.

I was at the church yard ( i live in a small town kids gather there to play hockey witout skates ) And i just showed up my new wand ( the magician wand ) and i was playing around practicing vernon's spin. And as always, i carry the fireball gimick because kids alway ask me to do it ( they belive im a wizard or whatever ) Because some kids said a rumor about me being a wizard ( LOL! have you ever seen a wizard doing card trick, i dont think so! ) they are very young kids around 10 years old. And so while playing with my wand, i had a sudden idea, what about using the fireball gimmick with my wand?!

Boom, that was sick it was like firball going from the tip of the wand, and it was working well because the way i was holding the wand was hiding the flash papers.

And without noticing a young ladie was watching me, and now she was like
:shock: <----that and then screamed DEAMON! over and over. and i was like no way it's just a magic trick. then she said that sorcerer shoul'd burn like in the 1600's. Now i tried to talk to her but she was so scared that she ran.

At least she dont saw me doing the wild levitation that i done a moment ago...

What should i say if that thing happen again?!
I was like ----> :oops:

Noramally I would just kinda laugh and say whatever, but if people came with torches and pichforks i would be a bit scared and tell them it wasnt real lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:50 am 
born to perform.

That just goes to show that what an impact magic can have on lay people. 8)