View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speech
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:55 pm 
Penguin

Hello. I'm going to be on speech team for school this year, and I'm doing an informative speech on street magic. I was wondering of you could help me out, so give me some good information. Here are going to be my three points of the speech:

1. Ancient Street Magic (Hindus, Japanese, tribal leaders, mainly from book Street Magic by Edward Claflin and Jeff Sheridan)
2. Busking (Gazzo, Jeff Sheridan, Cellini, etc.)
3. Present (Blaine, Angel, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:57 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have a thought that would make it more personal. Research the information yourself and don't have others do your work for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:01 pm 

IMHO I wouldn't characterize either Blaine or Angel as street magicians (unless we now define street magician as one who has a network camera crew following him around whenever he performs a trick).

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:30 pm 

Magicman is right. Blaine and Angel are NOT magicians, they are actors. Nick Nickolas, Gazzo, Mario, Chris Capehart are the modern day street magicians. You have stepped into the doggie doo-doo of thinking that buskers and street magicians are not the same. They are the same. Even in the ancient practitioners of the magical arts were buskers. Whether they called themselves Priests, witch doctors or whatever title they worked magic and got paid by the people watching them and being entertained by them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:26 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Milbourne Christopher's Illustrated History of Magic will give you much of what you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:41 am 
Penguin

magicman845 wrote:
IMHO I wouldn't characterize either Blaine or Angel as street magicians (unless we now define street magician as one who has a network camera crew following him around whenever he performs a trick).

Kent

They are still considered to be "street magicians" by the general public. They do magic on streets - it makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm 
Penguin

magikrn: As I look back on my first post, I do realize I was a bit ungrateful and mainly demanding information, so I apologize. Mainly what I'm looking for is sources for information. Then I'll research and find the information I'm looking for.

magicman8475, paddy, AtticusFinch: I personally know that Blaine and Angel are not real street magic. However, like Atticus said, to the public they are in fact street magicians. Even though they may only attract others with cameras, much of their material (especially Blaine's, I don't think you can make an elephant disappear on the typical street) can be done in street routines. I will point out about the "camera magic," using the Honest Liar article from Antimony #9 (antimonymagic.com/honestliar_print).

jamesjay1: I think I remember seeing that book at my library. If only that section wasn't filled with children's books right now . . .

I'm still not sure on the order of my topics. I could do Blaine/Angel second and then introduce busking. Thanks for all the information thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the Sluggo for U.S. President Committee
There's a book by Jeff Sheridan called "Street Magic." It's all history stuff, you should check it out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:36 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
acchessor wrote:
magikrn: As I look back on my first post, I do realize I was a bit ungrateful and mainly demanding information, so I apologize. Mainly what I'm looking for is sources for information. Then I'll research and find the information I'm looking for.

magicman8475, paddy, AtticusFinch: I personally know that Blaine and Angel are not real street magic. However, like Atticus said, to the public they are in fact street magicians. Even though they may only attract others with cameras, much of their material (especially Blaine's, I don't think you can make an elephant disappear on the typical street) can be done in street routines. I will point out about the "camera magic," using the Honest Liar article from Antimony #9 (antimonymagic.com/honestliar_print).

jamesjay1: I think I remember seeing that book at my library. If only that section wasn't filled with children's books right now . . .

I'm still not sure on the order of my topics. I could do Blaine/Angel second and then introduce busking. Thanks for all the information thus far.

It's not a children's book.....it a a comprehensive history of magic from ancient times, one of the great tomes of magic history.

At 484 pages, it's quite a read. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Histo ... 0435070169

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

You forgot Kozmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
paddy wrote:
Magicman is right. Blaine and Angel are NOT magicians, they are actors. Nick Nickolas, Gazzo, Mario, Chris Capehart are the modern day street magicians. You have stepped into the doggie doo-doo of thinking that buskers and street magicians are not the same. They are the same. Even in the ancient practitioners of the magical arts were buskers. Whether they called themselves Priests, witch doctors or whatever title they worked magic and got paid by the people watching them and being entertained by them.
Blaine and Angel do magic (and more stunts) on the street. Besides Gazzo has a cameraman with him so wouldn't that make him not a real street magician. Besides he meant busking and blaining. I am not trying to start an argument but I consider Blaine and Angel (More Blaine) as street magicians. Blaine does street magic whether you want to think so or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:52 am 

tupelo wrote:
... Besides Gazzo has a cameraman with him so wouldn't that make him not a real street magician. Besides he meant busking and blaining. I am not trying to start an argument but I consider Blaine and Angel (More Blaine) as street magicians. Blaine does street magic whether you want to think so or not.

Wrong Igor. I have worked with Gazzo and Kosmo both. Took Gazzo's masterclass in Virgina on year. There vwas no camera around except some of us had our digital ones. We were in Charlottsvikke VA where the Univ of VA is. Gozzo made over $600 on Sat night. The last show he did there was only one or two people around, by the time he was ready for his Cups and balls there was a crowd of 50. That is a busker

As to Blaine, I and every magi in my ring can do everything he does. This include a couple of members who are just kids. (One writes a column for The Linking Ring.) We just do not have camera crews around us when we perform. Mr. Blaine is a gimmickmiester, nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:42 am 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
paddy wrote:
tupelo wrote:
... Besides Gazzo has a cameraman with him so wouldn't that make him not a real street magician. Besides he meant busking and blaining. I am not trying to start an argument but I consider Blaine and Angel (More Blaine) as street magicians. Blaine does street magic whether you want to think so or not.

Wrong Igor. I have worked with Gazzo and Kosmo both. Took Gazzo's masterclass in Virgina on year. There vwas no camera around except some of us had our digital ones. We were in Charlottsvikke VA where the Univ of VA is. Gozzo made over $600 on Sat night. The last show he did there was only one or two people around, by the time he was ready for his Cups and balls there was a crowd of 50. That is a busker

As to Blaine, I and every magi in my ring can do everything he does. This include a couple of members who are just kids. (One writes a column for The Linking Ring.) We just do not have camera crews around us when we perform. Mr. Blaine is a gimmickmiester, nothing else.
Those are classes. He has dvd's teaching stuff so he has to have a camera. Now he has a camera with his performances on the teaching so he does have a cameraman for filming. Now if you mean no teaching and just performing like Blaine then no he doesn't have a cameraman. I can do the effects Blaine does but he does magic. The Invisible Dec, Two Card Monte, Putting heads back on chickens, CTW, and more. He does magic. I agree he does more stunts. Just because he has a camera crew while he does magic means he is not a magician? That is what I don't get. Seriously that is what I want to know. Back on subject I think it is great to do speech in school. I mean just like acting it helps with articulating and jitters (if you get nervous easily).

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:11 pm 
Penguin

PJHMarine: I have that book, and I am reading it right now. It has alot of great detail, and I really like it.

jamesjay1: Well, at my library right now, they're remaking the children's room, so all the children's books were moved into the section the magic books used to be, and I have no idea where the magic books are. It might be going on sale at a library book sale, since I got several magic books (including Street Magic) at the first sale.

tkies: Who?

tupelo and paddy: Remember that this is for the public, and they believe that Blaine and Angel are street magicians. They (especially Blaine) do magic like tupelo said, only in a different way. I will, however, focus more on Blaine, and then I'll mention the downfall of the "camera trick"

What I'm looking for is busking information mainly, so could you help me a bit with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 pm 

Gazzo's "Krowd Keeping" and Evans and Craver's "Secret Art of Magic" will tell you a lot about the concept of the modern street busker.