View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Google521's Walk Around Routine
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:46 am 
born to perform.

Can you guys tell me what you think of my walk around routines?

My patter for these routines is going to make it seem like I am shy because that's what my style is. It goes in order, starting with number 1.

Routine 1

1. Blindsided
2. Biddle Trick (from Born to Perform Card Magic)
3. Super Sharpie

What I would say to move from the Biddle Trick to the Super Sharpie is this:
"OK, so you guys have probably seen a million card tricks now, right? I'm going to try something different."
And at the end of this routine, I end with a piece of pad paper or something similar from the Super Sharpie routine and I would let the spectator who chose a number to keep this paper if they WISH to.

This routine should be only about 6 minutes long. I tested it out 3 times, with patter and all, and they all ended up around 6 minutes. Although, if there is only like 1-3 people, I could easily take out the Biddle Trick and just do Blindsided and the Super Sharpie. I would use the same sort of patter line above to move from one to the other. This is about 3:45 long.

Routine 2

1. (Not sure yet)
2. One Coin Routine/Coins Across (both from In the Beginning There Were Coins)
3. PK Coin Bend (from In the Beginning There Were Coins)

The reason why I picked 3 effects in a routine is because I read an essay, here on Penguin Magic, and it said that 3-5 effects in 1 routine is good. If you would like, I can PM you the link.

What do you think?

Last edited by google521 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:05 pm 
Penguin

The tricks seem to flow a little... I can see going from Blindsided to Biddle trick. But where does the Super Sharpie fit in? What's your patter going to be like? And how long will this be? If you're just doing walk-around Blaining then you can't have too many tricks or it'll turn into busking before you know it. Some more details please. Other than that, it seems like a good start :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

What I would say to move from the Biddle Trick to the Super Sharpie is this:
"OK, so you guys have probably seen a million card tricks now, right? I'm going to try something different."

My patter for this routine is going to make it seem like I am shy because that's what my style is.

This routine should be only about 6 minutes long. I tested it out 3 times, with patter and all, and they all ended up around 6 minutes. Although, if there is only like 1-3 people, I could easily take out the Biddle Trick and just do Blindsided and the Super Sharpie. I would use the same sort of patter line above to move from one to the other. This is about 3:45 long.

The reason why I picked 3 effects in a routine is because I read an essay, here on Penguin Magic, and it said that 3-5 effects in 1 routine is good. If you would like, I can PM you the link.

If you need any other answeres, please ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 pm 
Penguin

Yep I agree that 3 seems to be a magic number for routines. (pun intended
:wink: )
You seem to have a good routine down! Just keep practicing and get out there. I like it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:58 pm 
born to perform.

Thank-you. Although right now, I am working more on getting my DL's perfect and getting mastering all the effects I might use in the future, along with getting the patter down. Then I will start to really practice my walk around routine with all 3 effects together.

By the way, if I finish thinking about my second routine, I will post it to see what you think. So far, it consists of some coin magic :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:24 pm 
born to perform.

Never underestimate the power of a good coin trick, my friend :wink:

But you're routine seems fine. If you would like, it's a smart idea to film yourself rehearsing the routine for a friend or family member, put it on the theater, and let us give tips and advice before you break out this baby on the streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

kraynik wrote:
Never underestimate the power of a good coin trick, my friend :wink:

But you're routine seems fine. If you would like, it's a smart idea to film yourself rehearsing the routine for a friend or family member, put it on the theater, and let us give tips and advice before you break out this baby on the streets.

I would do that... I have a camera... but I don't think I have the right cords to hook it up to my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:22 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the Sluggo for U.S. President Committee
obi5967 wrote:
The tricks seem to flow a little... I can see going from Blindsided to Biddle trick. But where does the Super Sharpie fit in? What's your patter going to be like? And how long will this be? If you're just doing walk-around Blaining then you can't have too many tricks or it'll turn into busking before you know it. Some more details please. Other than that, it seems like a good start :D

What are you talking about? Busking and Blaining are two different things. You can do every single trick ever created to a random person on the street without getting paid, but if he did his three tricks to a audience, and was paid, that would be busking. It's doesn't matter how many tricks you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:58 am 
Penguin

Sorry for the confusion PJHMarine. What I meant was that if you're going all out guerrilla magic style you can't have that many tricks in a routine. Whereas if you were putting on a show, you could have a good twenty minute act. I was merely trying to point out that one should be careful about time when doing walk-around magic, because sometimes people just plain don't want to sit still for too long and watch magic. Simply this, and nothing more. Again, sorry for the confusion :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:18 am 
born to perform.

Number of effects shouldent create the lenght(sp?) of your show, the patter and audience interaction is what creates it.

,Tyler Kie(hates penguin)

Post subject: Re: Google521's Walk Around Routine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:20 pm 
Penguin

google521 wrote:
And at the end of this routine, I end with a piece of pad paper or something similar from the Super Sharpie routine and I would let the spectator who chose a number to keep this paper.

You risk looking arrogant when you do that. It's almost like signing an autograph for someone who didn't ask for it.

Post subject: Re: Google521's Walk Around Routine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:35 pm 
born to perform.

AtticusFinch wrote:
google521 wrote:
And at the end of this routine, I end with a piece of pad paper or something similar from the Super Sharpie routine and I would let the spectator who chose a number to keep this paper.

You risk looking arrogant when you do that. It's almost like signing an autograph for someone who didn't ask for it.

Yah I was thinking that... well then I WON'T give them it if they don't ask for it then. Would that be a better idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:44 pm 
Penguin

Sure. And if they do ask for an autograph or the like then it's happy days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:50 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, I edited my post and added part of a second routine I was thinking about. I need some help on picking a opener for it. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:53 pm 
born to perform.

As an opener for the second routine, why not just produce the coin? Palm it, do a Wiped Clean (that's taught on the DVD, right?) and pull it from a spec's ear, clothing, the air, or anywhere else. Do a coin roll, that will catch their attention pretty quickly. Then once you're done with the one coin routine, are you just going to bring out some more from your pocket to do coins across? The coin bend is a good closer.

You're going to love Bobo's when it comes :)