View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:10 am 
born to perform.

In my opinion, a lot of the members here are quite harsh on teens who want to start performing.

I am seventeen, I performed for about 6 months and saved up a little more than $400 to buy my phone [sidekick 3].

My friend and I worked on some routines of 2-4 tricks each. We would take turns performing ["Here, I'll show you something even better"/"I'm sure you're sick of his cards"/etc.].

We performed at several public places, including the mall of Annapolis, Marley Station Mall, and the Annapolis Inner Harbor/Downtown district.

Basically, we would stroll around looking for potential spectators, at least two people but no more than 4-5. Specifically those who are bored, sitting with nothing to do. Parents watching their kids are also great [I had a guy get all of his kids, he tipped eight bucks!]. We'd as for tips by incorporating lines like "we don't have a job, this is basically all that we do".

Honestly guys, I know you are professionals, and I know you know the mistakes we will make. I know you're sick and tired of kids going to show off their cute little magic tricks, and I know you'd rather have them experience the passion and performance art.

Unfortunately, your incredibly invaluable advice is being overshadowed by the fact that you're really encouraging these kids NOT to get out there and see what it's about.

When I started performing, I had SEVERAL embarrassing moments; there was situations where I had no clue what to do, where my friend and I would awkwardly look at each other. I got shot down beyond belief and blushed more than I ever have. But I loved magic, I really loved perfecting illusions, and I loved sharing that joy that I felt when I first experienced magic with other people. Sure, my patter/tricks/presentation were not 100% perfect, but for all of the embarrassing moments there were times when I blew people away, where I can make complete strangers smile, and warp their preconceived notions of reality. It makes my heart melt to this day.

I learned more about crowd control, angle sensitivity, handling hecklers, using sarcasm to my advantage, timing of many effects, and fluidity of routines in those six months then I could have from spending hundreds of dollars on books. I gained something magnitudes more valuable: self esteem, social skills, and how to interact effectively with all sorts of people.

In those six months, I got my [edited] handed to me a few times, and so will all of the kids on these forums who want to perform. Performing for people for the first time [edited, the first year], is the ultimate test of one's love for magic. The kids who are not ready, who just want to impress people, will not succeed, plain and simple. Hopefully, they will realize how much they've underestimated "taking it to the streets", and after being discouraged, will utilize their love for the art of illusion to become a better performer.

I promise all of you senior members, it annoys me just as much as it does you, but telling these kids "you have no idea what you're getting into"/"you're not even close to ready" may be true, but it isn't helpful. There are ways to be constructive without being condescending, and I would hate to see a potential performer fail to come out of his shell because all of you guys scared away his only chance of showing someone his favorite trick.

We both know that there are many people who aren't ready, and several who never will be. Consistent public performance is not for everyone. edited, I'm still not sure it's for me, but it's one heck of a learning experience and certainly can do no harm a year, a month, even a week from now.

Not only is this for the senior members, but to all the budding magicians: these guys would love to see you succeed in the world of magic, and would love to see you successfully perform. I assure you they care, or they wouldn't reply to your "how to ask for tips!" thread. Don't let them scare you away, performing for people isn't as scary as it seems. Start on a few acquaintances with some effects you've mastered. Find the balance between conceit and fear in terms of performing. You'll be fine, I promise. Just don't be afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:03 pm 

I don't have time to answer point by point, so I'll just make some general comments.

For the most part, I agree with you. Why? You're seventeen, not thirteen and you went out with a friend.

I would NEVER advise a 13 year old to go out and do it alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:49 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
I don't have time to answer point by point, so I'll just make some general comments.

For the most part, I agree with you. Why? You're seventeen, not thirteen and you went out with a friend.

Probably the nicest thing anyone on Penguin's ever said to me :wink:

I appreciate you taking the time to see what I had to say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:19 am 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:

well iam 14 and i do street magic with a friend who is also 14.
what would you advise just going alone or do magic with a friend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:03 pm 

With a friend, definitely. There's a reason some adult performers twice your age share a pitch with someone. Security is one of them, as it's always a good idea to have someone to "watch your back." Another reason is for variety. Between the two of you, you should be able to keep the same people twice as long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:26 pm 

thanerdo wrote:
DaveV wrote:

well iam 14 and i do street magic with a friend who is also 14.
what would you advise just going alone or do magic with a friend?

Or not at all. At 14 you are just blaining, and that is NOT street magic. I say this in the restaurant forums also. At least SEE a real busker before you want to be one. I am going to post an article when I get the writer's permission about what street magic really is. Even the "cute kid" factor doesn't help you. It's a real female dog out there and in some areas it's worse than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:09 pm 
Emperor Penguin

The reason the younger members are told not to go out and busk is for a very simple reason. It's dangerous. Talk to some buskers who have been in it for awhile. They will tell you some horror stories. Even in my short time of busking (I don't even busk in larger towns, and the places that I do busk are quite safe), I've had a person who pulled a knife on me. Not to mention having other people threaten me. It can be a dangerous thing to do.

At 14, your a prime target. I mean seriously, most likely your small, easy to intimidate, and easy to mug. What would you do if someone came up to you and demanded you to hand over the money you just made? Younger people are easier targets.

Also, we aren't telling you not to go out and perform, but to perform in other ways. Do some kids parties. Do some charity work at hospitals. Stuff like that. Do some studying. Learn what you need to do. Asking here is one way to do that. And we will tell you what you need to get (as in for sources to learn from). But for younger members here, it would be irresponsible for us to tell them to go out busking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:07 pm 
Penguin

What is it with all you of you people? I don't think a 14 year old should go out and try to earn money for what they're doing but if they can't make money and you're shooting them down by saying "Your cute kid act is stupid" then what are they to do? You're encouraging people to quit magic all together and it's annoying people like you all that shouldn't even BE in magic. Instead of saying "OMG YOU ARE YOUNG, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YET!!!" why dont you just post something people want to read rather than something annoying and extremely unhelpful?

Now, I am only 15, I'm not doing magic for money, I'm doing it because I love it. When I get older, maybe I will go out and attempt to earn a few tips here and there and I agree that it can be dangerous for the younger crowd. But even saying "You're small and an easy target" is an awfully big assumption, when I was 13 I was 5'9", granted I'm only 5'10" now... Haha, but that's not the point.

Everyone starts out somewhere, there's no going from bad to good in a night. The only way you're going to advance is by practicing a lot. So why dont you all just stop shooting people down and help them out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:20 pm 

c0deh4x wrote:
What is it with all you of you people? I don't think a 14 year old should go out and try to earn money for what they're doing but if they can't make money and you're shooting them down by saying "Your cute kid act is stupid" then what are they to do? You're encouraging people to quit magic all together and it's annoying people like you all that shouldn't even BE in magic. Instead of saying "OMG YOU ARE YOUNG, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YET!!!" why dont you just post something people want to read rather than something annoying and extremely unhelpful?...Everyone starts out somewhere, there's no going from bad to good in a night. The only way you're going to advance is by practicing a lot. So why dont you all just stop shooting people down and help them out?

None of us are "encouraging people to quit magic all together." What you want to hear is us to tell you that "oh yes, you're good, just because you only flashed the gimmick, but you didn't tell anyone the secret, just showed them how to do it."

We are being realistic to people. I am not about to string some kid along and then he goes out and finds out that the world really is a beast. How many posts have you read about "at school people will yell out the secret!" and "oh they are just a bunch of magic haters." The reason you see those is because somebody told a kid what he WANTED to hear and not what he HAD to hear so he could improve. Hey, I'll be glad to lead you along the path, but once you start to try to perform, the crowd will rip you a new one right now. And when a crowd does it you won't be sitting for a long while, let alone trying to do magic tricks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:16 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
c0deh4x wrote:
What is it with all you of you people? I don't think a 14 year old should go out and try to earn money for what they're doing but if they can't make money and you're shooting them down by saying "Your cute kid act is stupid" then what are they to do? You're encouraging people to quit magic all together and it's annoying people like you all that shouldn't even BE in magic. Instead of saying "OMG YOU ARE YOUNG, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YET!!!" why dont you just post something people want to read rather than something annoying and extremely unhelpful?...Everyone starts out somewhere, there's no going from bad to good in a night. The only way you're going to advance is by practicing a lot. So why dont you all just stop shooting people down and help them out?

None of us are "encouraging people to quit magic all together." What you want to hear is us to tell you that "oh yes, you're good, just because you only flashed the gimmick, but you didn't tell anyone the secret, just showed them how to do it."

We are being realistic to people. I am not about to string some kid along and then he goes out and finds out that the world really is a beast. How many posts have you read about "at school people will yell out the secret!" and "oh they are just a bunch of magic haters." The reason you see those is because somebody told a kid what he WANTED to hear and not what he HAD to hear so he could improve. Hey, I'll be glad to lead you along the path, but once you start to try to perform, the crowd will rip you a new one right now. And when a crowd does it you won't be sitting for a long while, let alone trying to do magic tricks again.

Well I personally think everyone can be a little bit nicer, especially to the younger crowd who is just interested in pursuing magic. Now, if all they want to do is impress instead of doing it because they love it I think they shouldn't be working with magic, and yes the world IS a beast, trust me I know. Telling someone what they HAVE to hear is always better than what they WANT to hear, I'll agree with that too. I just think it sort of discourages someone from trying since they can't even come to this forum and ask for help on it. I suppose if they quit they don't have the heart for it though and I do see what you're saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:46 pm 
born to perform.

hamburger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:43 pm 

c0deh4x wrote
Quote:
Well I personally think everyone can be a little bit nicer...

Yes, sure, Iv'e been on this board for several years now. I have seen people (myself included) that tried to be "nice" when informing kids about things. I have also seen that in EVERY CASE, yep 100% of the time, when kids are told in a nice manner they turn afound and do exactly what they want to do, even when we have told them it is wrong. There is a story about an old Minnesota farmer, every time he hitched his mule to the equipment he would pick up a 2 X 4 and hit the animal just as hard as he could right in the head. One day a townie saw this and went ballistic yelling at the farmer. Fianally the townie ran out of breath and asked the farmer "WHY DID YOU HIT HIM SO HARD!!" The reply "First you have to get his attention."

That is the way these kids are, unles you nail them with a big club, they don't pay attention. You go ahead and be a nice guy then see how much they listen to you.

Oh, by the way, to show you that I just may have some weak little idea of "street magic." I worked yesterday (Fri night) for 3 hours, Then did a 1 hour show at one fest and 2 hours at another place. Total income, after eating, gas, etc for all 6 hours was US$576. Been doing this for 10 years.

Post subject: Re: Need a license to perform street magic ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:11 am 
Penguin

catusse wrote:
Hello,

I couldn't find an answer in the topics I read, so I would like to know if a license or a special authorization was required to perform street magic in Boston MA, harvard, cambridge areas ?
Besides, I am french, here for the summer, and I feel like trying the street magic here.
Thank's

Nicolas

Street Magic, No. Busking, Yes.... I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:10 pm 
Penguin

catusse wrote:
I love performing tricks for people, but if I can win money, ti's always better for me , cause I am a student and I have lot of things to buy in your beautiful country guys.
youre such a kiss up!! j/k BTW the french accent rakes it in i use an english accent some times. (i can also do scottish).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 am 
Penguin

catusse wrote:
I found what I was looking for. There is a 40 dollars license. Only a photo Id is needed, and that's it !
So I will be performing soon street magic in Cambridge/Harvard Square !!!!
By the way, thanks for your answers.
Crazy Mobster did you get my message ?

Necro-bump, I know, but I am in this exact same situation. This post is from 2007, it's now 2010, obviously, do the same rules still apply? I plan on busking small-time at Fanny Hall, but not on the big venue's like how they have auditions and whatnot for the prime space.

I tried emailing them and I haven't got any answer. Anyone know any info off the top of their head here?

Thanks.