View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3 card monte question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:28 pm 
Penguin

Let me try my best to explain without exposing any secrets:

I am looking for the version that uses the 3 gimmicked cards.
NOT ordinary cards
NOT the 3 cards with the middle flap

What is the name of the version I am looking for?
Can I find it on Penguin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:48 pm 
Penguin

It was once marketed here as the "Penguin Monte" but I'm not sure if it is discontinued or not. But you can search for Michael Skinner's version which is exactly the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 pm 

No it's not. The version you're talking about, flapped, is generally called Find the Lady. A lot of books teach you how to make the set yourself. I really can't find it anywhere on this site, but I'm sure it's in the SOC, if no where else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:20 pm 

I don't like to argue with a fellow mod, but are you sure about that? The original poster was specifically not looking for the flap card version, and the Penguin Monte (still available here) does indeed use the same cards as found in the Michael Skinner routine.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=923

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:26 pm 

I missed that NOT. Nevermind my post all together. I thought he was looking for the version with the flap. In that case, it's going to be either Daryl's Ultimonte or the Ultimate 3 Card Monte. Sorry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:18 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I missed that NOT. Nevermind my post all together. I thought he was looking for the version with the flap. In that case, it's going to be either Daryl's Ultimonte or the Ultimate 3 Card Monte. Sorry about that.

Ultimate 3 card monte is not the same as Penguin Monte, which uses Michael Skinner's gimmicked cards you're looking for.

I own both, and prefer penguin monte, the insctructional video included is absolutely fantastic; it shows you a three phase routine that appears impromptu and 3 card switch so the cards can be handed out. but, yes, the Penguin monte link above is exactly what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
Penguin

MadNuke wrote:
exodus wrote:

Ultimate 3 card monte is not the same as Penguin Monte, which uses Michael Skinner's gimmicked cards you're looking for.

I own both, and prefer penguin monte, the insctructional video included is absolutely fantastic; it shows you a three phase routine that appears impromptu and 3 card switch so the cards can be handed out. but, yes, the Penguin monte link above is exactly what you want.

yep its an amazing trick, i orderd it for some days ago, its defently going to be in my routine.. and Oz is such an amazing teacher in the video of the trick, teach you a wonderfull routine with some tips :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:56 am 
Penguin

It is creted by Henry Evans.
Search about it.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:35 am 

Learn to do it the right way using sleight of hand not gimmicked cards. Also be very careful when you do the 3 card monte. It has a reputation of being am illegal gambling game. Do NOT have any money showing and do NOT even mention anyone betting (like when he says "if you were to bet right now which card would you bet on) because this can cause a health hazard. You can find your butt locked up in jail by the cops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 pm 
born to perform.

I like to place the gimmick cards in amongst the other matching deck of cards and place them inside the card case. I take out the deck from the case and tell the spectator I want to show him a card trick. You can even have the spectator looking right at the cards as you spread through the deck from beginning to end. If you place the gimmick cards in correctly, the spectator will never see the gimmick cards when you spread through the deck.

Then tell the spectator for this trick you will be using the Ace, the Two, and the Three as you spread through the deck finding those cards. Then start your routine.

My personal opinion is it will take some heat off the cards. One thing I don't like about packet card tricks is I believe the spectators think gimmick cards as soon as you take them out of a little black packet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:24 am 
born to perform.

I basically got the Skinner/Penguin monte cards free when I ordered my Card wallet and from there I made up my own routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:08 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Learn to do it the right way using sleight of hand not gimmicked cards

Using gimmicked cards is not the wrong way to do a monte, thats like saying don't use a svengali deck to perform ambitous card or don't use a rising deck.... there is more than one way to skin a cat ......thats what gimmicks are there for why not use them? Gimmicks are a great tool to use in moderation, out of all the effects I can do, I'd say that gimmicked cards show up in my monte's the most, not because I can't do a monte but because no ammount of sleight of hand can help you pull off an awesome effect like ultimonte, use gimmicked cards by all means but use them sparingly as with most devices in magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:39 pm 

max_russell wrote:
Quote:
Learn to do it the right way using sleight of hand not gimmicked cards

Using gimmicked cards is not the wrong way to do a monte, thats like saying don't use a svengali deck to perform ambitous card or don't use a rising deck.... there is more than one way to skin a cat ......thats what gimmicks are there for why not use them? Gimmicks are a great tool to use in moderation, out of all the effects I can do, I'd say that gimmicked cards show up in my monte's the most, not because I can't do a monte but because no ammount of sleight of hand can help you pull off an awesome effect like ultimonte, use gimmicked cards by all means but use them sparingly as with most devices in magic.

OK, I will stand corrected. :twisted: But to use a svengali deck to "perform" the ambitous card and gimmicked cards to do the monte is not magic. What you are doing is playing with yourself if you think that you have to rely on gimmicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:27 pm 

Paddy/max,

I see them as two totally different routines used for different purposes. I'm not going to argue over which is "better" but I will say that if it was good enough for Mike Skinner then that should say something about the effectiveness of the routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:43 pm 

I've always thought the real magic happened in the minds of the spectators. The effect itself is just the means to an end. Who cares how you really get there, so long as it's entertaining and it works for you.